We report the case of a 73-year-old worker who died of pleural mesothelioma, after being employed for 35 years in a wool textile plant of Biella (Italy). Close investigations revealed that he provided for the maintenance of materials and machines. In particular, he used to replace asbestos parts such as rings, joints and insulations of pipelines (dyeing unit), as well as brake linings of warping, looming and combing machines. Beside confirming the importance of an accurate occupational anamnesis to recognize work-induced cancers, the case draws the attention on the risk of mesothelioma in the wool industry, an occupational setting that is not usually considered as a potential source of exposure to asbestos fibres. Such pollution might explain the increased mortality due to pleural mesothelioma in the Biella area (characterized by a prosperous textile industry), reported in previous epidemiological studies.
|Translated title of the contribution||A case of pleural mesothelioma caused by unusual occupational exposure to asbestos in the wool industry|
|Number of pages||3|
|Journal||Giornale Italiano di Medicina del Lavoro ed Ergonomia|
|Publication status||Published - 2001|