A phase I study of cisplatin, methotrexate, levofolinic acid and 5- fluorouracil in advanced squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck

Francesco Caponigro, Pasquale Comella, Antonio Daponte, Adriano Gravina, Giacomo Carteni, Maria Biglietto, Rossana Casaretti, Giuseppe Frasci, Franco Ionna, Nicola Mozzillo, Giuseppe Comella

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

Twenty-one chemotherapy-naive patients with unresectable or metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck (SCCHN) received a combination chemotherapy including cisplatin (CDDP), methotrexate (MTX), folinic acid (LFA) and 5-fluorouracil (5-FU). The doses of the 3 cytotoxic drugs were escalated until dose-limiting toxicity occurred in more than 1/3 of the patients. The treatment was generally well tolerated; no toxic deaths occurred. Only 2 patients showed dose-limiting neutropenia. Non-haematologic drug toxicities were infrequent and never reached grade 3. 3/21 (14%) complete responses and 6/21 (29%) partial responses were observed, for an overall response rate of 43%. 5/6 patients treated at step 5 achieved an objective response to treatment and 2 complete responses were observed in this group of patients. Although maximum tolerated doses (MTD) were not reached even at step 5, we decided to stop the escalation and to recommend this level for the phase II study. Our regimen combines a good tolerability with a high level of activity at step 5; a phase II study is currently ongoing.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1207-1211
Number of pages5
JournalOncology Reports
Volume4
Issue number6
Publication statusPublished - Nov 1997

Fingerprint

Methotrexate
Fluorouracil
Cisplatin
Acids
Maximum Tolerated Dose
Leucovorin
Poisons
Combination Drug Therapy
Neutropenia
Drug-Related Side Effects and Adverse Reactions
Carcinoma, squamous cell of head and neck
Drug Therapy
Therapeutics
Pharmaceutical Preparations

Keywords

  • 5-fluorouracil
  • Cisplatin
  • Folinic acid
  • Head and neck cancer
  • Methotrexate

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Cancer Research
  • Oncology

Cite this

A phase I study of cisplatin, methotrexate, levofolinic acid and 5- fluorouracil in advanced squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. / Caponigro, Francesco; Comella, Pasquale; Daponte, Antonio; Gravina, Adriano; Carteni, Giacomo; Biglietto, Maria; Casaretti, Rossana; Frasci, Giuseppe; Ionna, Franco; Mozzillo, Nicola; Comella, Giuseppe.

In: Oncology Reports, Vol. 4, No. 6, 11.1997, p. 1207-1211.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{8326b42cd40e4061a4ca549acc69a4de,
title = "A phase I study of cisplatin, methotrexate, levofolinic acid and 5- fluorouracil in advanced squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck",
abstract = "Twenty-one chemotherapy-naive patients with unresectable or metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck (SCCHN) received a combination chemotherapy including cisplatin (CDDP), methotrexate (MTX), folinic acid (LFA) and 5-fluorouracil (5-FU). The doses of the 3 cytotoxic drugs were escalated until dose-limiting toxicity occurred in more than 1/3 of the patients. The treatment was generally well tolerated; no toxic deaths occurred. Only 2 patients showed dose-limiting neutropenia. Non-haematologic drug toxicities were infrequent and never reached grade 3. 3/21 (14{\%}) complete responses and 6/21 (29{\%}) partial responses were observed, for an overall response rate of 43{\%}. 5/6 patients treated at step 5 achieved an objective response to treatment and 2 complete responses were observed in this group of patients. Although maximum tolerated doses (MTD) were not reached even at step 5, we decided to stop the escalation and to recommend this level for the phase II study. Our regimen combines a good tolerability with a high level of activity at step 5; a phase II study is currently ongoing.",
keywords = "5-fluorouracil, Cisplatin, Folinic acid, Head and neck cancer, Methotrexate",
author = "Francesco Caponigro and Pasquale Comella and Antonio Daponte and Adriano Gravina and Giacomo Carteni and Maria Biglietto and Rossana Casaretti and Giuseppe Frasci and Franco Ionna and Nicola Mozzillo and Giuseppe Comella",
year = "1997",
month = "11",
language = "English",
volume = "4",
pages = "1207--1211",
journal = "Oncology Reports",
issn = "1021-335X",
publisher = "Spandidos Publications",
number = "6",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - A phase I study of cisplatin, methotrexate, levofolinic acid and 5- fluorouracil in advanced squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck

AU - Caponigro, Francesco

AU - Comella, Pasquale

AU - Daponte, Antonio

AU - Gravina, Adriano

AU - Carteni, Giacomo

AU - Biglietto, Maria

AU - Casaretti, Rossana

AU - Frasci, Giuseppe

AU - Ionna, Franco

AU - Mozzillo, Nicola

AU - Comella, Giuseppe

PY - 1997/11

Y1 - 1997/11

N2 - Twenty-one chemotherapy-naive patients with unresectable or metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck (SCCHN) received a combination chemotherapy including cisplatin (CDDP), methotrexate (MTX), folinic acid (LFA) and 5-fluorouracil (5-FU). The doses of the 3 cytotoxic drugs were escalated until dose-limiting toxicity occurred in more than 1/3 of the patients. The treatment was generally well tolerated; no toxic deaths occurred. Only 2 patients showed dose-limiting neutropenia. Non-haematologic drug toxicities were infrequent and never reached grade 3. 3/21 (14%) complete responses and 6/21 (29%) partial responses were observed, for an overall response rate of 43%. 5/6 patients treated at step 5 achieved an objective response to treatment and 2 complete responses were observed in this group of patients. Although maximum tolerated doses (MTD) were not reached even at step 5, we decided to stop the escalation and to recommend this level for the phase II study. Our regimen combines a good tolerability with a high level of activity at step 5; a phase II study is currently ongoing.

AB - Twenty-one chemotherapy-naive patients with unresectable or metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck (SCCHN) received a combination chemotherapy including cisplatin (CDDP), methotrexate (MTX), folinic acid (LFA) and 5-fluorouracil (5-FU). The doses of the 3 cytotoxic drugs were escalated until dose-limiting toxicity occurred in more than 1/3 of the patients. The treatment was generally well tolerated; no toxic deaths occurred. Only 2 patients showed dose-limiting neutropenia. Non-haematologic drug toxicities were infrequent and never reached grade 3. 3/21 (14%) complete responses and 6/21 (29%) partial responses were observed, for an overall response rate of 43%. 5/6 patients treated at step 5 achieved an objective response to treatment and 2 complete responses were observed in this group of patients. Although maximum tolerated doses (MTD) were not reached even at step 5, we decided to stop the escalation and to recommend this level for the phase II study. Our regimen combines a good tolerability with a high level of activity at step 5; a phase II study is currently ongoing.

KW - 5-fluorouracil

KW - Cisplatin

KW - Folinic acid

KW - Head and neck cancer

KW - Methotrexate

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0030952567&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0030952567&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

C2 - 21590223

AN - SCOPUS:0030952567

VL - 4

SP - 1207

EP - 1211

JO - Oncology Reports

JF - Oncology Reports

SN - 1021-335X

IS - 6

ER -