A 32-year-old man with keratoconus developed corneal melting 5 days after riboflavin/ultraviolet-A corneal collagen crosslinking (CXL). Corneal scraping was positive for Acanthamoeba. The patient was unaware that he was wearing a bandage contact lens and repeatedly rinsed his face and eyelids with tap water. Because of corneal perforation, a large therapeutic keratoplasty à chaud was performed. Although CXL is considered a safe procedure, this case emphasizes the potential risks. We discuss the potential effects of deepithelialization, contact lens placement, instillation of topical nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs and anesthetic agents, and the possible role of apoptosis when performing CXL treatment for keratoconus.
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Sensory Systems