Accidental choke cherry poisoning: Early symptoms and neurological sequelae of an unusual case of cyanide intoxication

R. Pentore, A. Venneri, P. Nichelli

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

We report the case of a56-year-old woman who wan accidentally poisoned when she ingested choke cherries whose pulp contained cyanide, and describe the acute clinical picture, the neurological sequelae and the neuroradiological findings. After recovery from coma, the patient showed signs of a parkinsonian syndrome, retrobulbar neuritis and sensory-motor neuropathy. MRI showed abnormal signal intensities involving the basal ganglia. Since no memory deficits were observed, we argue that the parkinsonian syndrome was caused by cyanide intoxication rather than by subcortical damage due to hypoxia.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)233-235
Number of pages3
JournalItalian Journal of Neurological Sciences
Volume17
Issue number3
Publication statusPublished - 1996

Keywords

  • Cyanide -
  • Food ingestion poisoning -
  • Parkinsonism
  • Peripheral neuropathy -
  • Retrobulbar neuritis -

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Neuroscience(all)
  • Clinical Neurology
  • Psychiatry and Mental health
  • Dermatology

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Accidental choke cherry poisoning: Early symptoms and neurological sequelae of an unusual case of cyanide intoxication'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this