Achilles and patellar tendinopathies in athletes: Pathogenesis and surgical treatment

Francesco Benazzo, Gianluca Stennardo, Maurizia Valli

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

In the period from 1985 to 1992, 136 athletes underwent 148 surgical exploration of Achilles (98 operations in 90 patients) and patellar (50 operations in 46 patients) tendons for persistent pain. The morphology and the biochemistry of tendon samples taken at operation were investigated. A marked increase of glycosaminoglycans, especially chondroitin sulphate, was present. The complete alleviation of pain and the return of full activity were obtained in 79% of the athletes, while the remaining 21% were not able to return to their sports activities. Generally, successful outcome after surgery was experienced by younger patients who had tendon pain of short duration-which was correlated to a lesser degree of tendon degeneration.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)236-240
Number of pages5
JournalBulletin: Hospital for Joint Diseases
Volume54
Issue number4
Publication statusPublished - 1996

Keywords

  • Achilles tendon
  • patellar tendoni
  • surgery, operative
  • tendonitis

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Rheumatology
  • Surgery
  • Bioengineering

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Achilles and patellar tendinopathies in athletes: Pathogenesis and surgical treatment'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this