Intossicazione acuta accidentale da vapori di mercurio in ambiente domestico.

Translated title of the contribution: Acute accidental poisoning by mercury vapors in the home environment

F. Candura, G. Biscaldi, C. Minoia, T. Malamani, E. Bosio, G. Catenacci, R. Fonte, M. Mattia

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

The authors report 2 cases of acute mercury intoxication due to accidental breakage of barometer on to a lit gas ring. Within 24-48 hours the subjects developed neurological, gastrointestinal and dermatological symptoms. A 24-hour urine sample contained 600 and 400 micrograms of mercury per liter respectively (reference value 0.1-6.9 micrograms/L); blood concentration of mercury was 130 and 100 micrograms per liter (reference value 1.7-9.9 micrograms/L). The patients were treated with penicillamine and daily excretion of mercury was monitored. The residual sources of pollution in the kitchen were identified and bonificated.

Original languageItalian
Pages (from-to)209-213
Number of pages5
JournalGiornale Italiano di Medicina del Lavoro
Volume11
Issue number5
Publication statusPublished - Sep 1989

    Fingerprint

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Public Health, Environmental and Occupational Health
  • Rehabilitation

Cite this

Candura, F., Biscaldi, G., Minoia, C., Malamani, T., Bosio, E., Catenacci, G., Fonte, R., & Mattia, M. (1989). Intossicazione acuta accidentale da vapori di mercurio in ambiente domestico. Giornale Italiano di Medicina del Lavoro, 11(5), 209-213.