Additional findings at preoperative breast MRI: the value of second-look digital breast tomosynthesis

Paola Clauser, Luca A. Carbonaro, Martina Pancot, Rossano Girometti, Massimo Bazzocchi, Chiara Zuiani, Francesco Sardanelli

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Objectives: To evaluate second-look digital breast tomosynthesis (SL-DBT) for additional findings (AFs) at preoperative MRI compared with second-look ultrasound (SL-US). Methods: We included 135 patients with breast cancer who underwent digital mammography (DM), DBT, US, and MRI at two centres. MR images were retrospectively evaluated to find AFs, described as focus, mass, or non-mass; ≤10 mm or >10 mm in size; BI-RADS 3, 4, or 5. DM and DBT exams were reviewed looking for MRI AFs; data on SL-US were collected. Reference standard was histopathology or ≥12-month negative follow-up. Fisher exact test and McNemar test were used. Results: Eighty-four AFs were detected in 53/135 patients (39 %, 95 %CI 31–48 %). A correlate was found for 44/84 (52 %, 95 %CI 41–63 %) at SL-US, for 20/84 (24 %, 95 %CI 11–28 %) at SL-DM, for 42/84 (50 %, 95 %CI 39–61 %) at SL-DBT, for 63/84 (75 %, 95 %CI 64–84 %) at SL-DBT, and/or SL-US, the last rate being higher than for SL-US only, overall (p <0.001), for mass or non-mass, ≤ or >10 mm, BI-RADS 4 or 5, or malignant lesions (p <0.031). Of 21 AFs occult at both SLs, 17 were malignant (81 %, 95 %CI 58–94 %). Conclusions: When adding SL-DBT to SL-US, AFs detection increased from 52 % to 75 %. MR-guided biopsy is needed for the remaining 25 %. Key Points: • Detection rate of MRI AFs using SL-US was 52 % • Adding SL-DBT, the detection rate of MRI AFs significantly increased to 75 %. • Over 80 % of the remaining 25 % MRI AFs were malignant. • MR-guided biopsy should be used when SL-US and SL-DBT are inconclusive.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)2830-2839
Number of pages10
JournalEuropean Radiology
Volume25
Issue number10
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Apr 23 2015

Keywords

  • Breast cancer
  • Breast ultrasound
  • Digital breast tomosynthesis
  • Magnetic resonance imaging
  • Second-look

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Radiology Nuclear Medicine and imaging

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Additional findings at preoperative breast MRI: the value of second-look digital breast tomosynthesis'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this