ALS multidisciplinary clinic and survival: Results from a population-based study in Southern Italy

Stefano Zoccolella, Ettore Beghi, Guerrino Palagano, Angela Fraddosio, Vito Guerra, Vito Lepore, Isabella Laura Simone, Paolo Lamberti, Luigi Serlenga, Giancarlo Logroscino

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

Background: Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is a neurodegenerative disease affecting motorneurons, for which there is no effective cure. Because of the multifactorial nature of impairment and disablity in ALS, multidisciplinary clinics (MDC) have been recently introduced in the management of ALS patients; their effects on survival remain, however, largely debated. Objective: To compare survival of ALS patients who received their care at MDC with that of patients followed by general neurology clinics. Methods: Source of the study was a prospective population-based registry of ALS established in Puglia, Southern Italy, in 1997. We examined survival of 126 out of 130 incident ALS cases that were diagnosed during the period 1998-99. 84 patients (67%) were enrolled and followed by MDC and the remaining 42 (33%) by general neurological clinics. No difference in median survival time from the diagnosis was observed between patients followed by ALS multidisciplinary (17.6 months) and general clinics (18 months). No beneficial effect was present among bulbar onset ALS (11.7 versus 23 months). In multivariate analysis management by ALS MDC was associated with only a 10% increase in survival probability at 12 months (HR: 0.91; 95%CI: 0.44-1.89; p = 0.9). Conclusions: In this population-based series, we found that in Southern Italy management of ALS by multidisciplinary clinics does not improve survival, regardless of site of symptoms onset.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1107-1112
Number of pages6
JournalJournal of Neurology
Volume254
Issue number8
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Aug 2007

Fingerprint

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
Italy
Survival
Population
Neurology
Neurodegenerative Diseases
Registries
Multivariate Analysis

Keywords

  • Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
  • Multidisciplinary clinic
  • Survival

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Clinical Neurology
  • Neurology

Cite this

ALS multidisciplinary clinic and survival : Results from a population-based study in Southern Italy. / Zoccolella, Stefano; Beghi, Ettore; Palagano, Guerrino; Fraddosio, Angela; Guerra, Vito; Lepore, Vito; Simone, Isabella Laura; Lamberti, Paolo; Serlenga, Luigi; Logroscino, Giancarlo.

In: Journal of Neurology, Vol. 254, No. 8, 08.2007, p. 1107-1112.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Zoccolella, S, Beghi, E, Palagano, G, Fraddosio, A, Guerra, V, Lepore, V, Simone, IL, Lamberti, P, Serlenga, L & Logroscino, G 2007, 'ALS multidisciplinary clinic and survival: Results from a population-based study in Southern Italy', Journal of Neurology, vol. 254, no. 8, pp. 1107-1112. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00415-006-0401-y
Zoccolella, Stefano ; Beghi, Ettore ; Palagano, Guerrino ; Fraddosio, Angela ; Guerra, Vito ; Lepore, Vito ; Simone, Isabella Laura ; Lamberti, Paolo ; Serlenga, Luigi ; Logroscino, Giancarlo. / ALS multidisciplinary clinic and survival : Results from a population-based study in Southern Italy. In: Journal of Neurology. 2007 ; Vol. 254, No. 8. pp. 1107-1112.
@article{ef9524b2cdc747daa6533292280aae12,
title = "ALS multidisciplinary clinic and survival: Results from a population-based study in Southern Italy",
abstract = "Background: Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is a neurodegenerative disease affecting motorneurons, for which there is no effective cure. Because of the multifactorial nature of impairment and disablity in ALS, multidisciplinary clinics (MDC) have been recently introduced in the management of ALS patients; their effects on survival remain, however, largely debated. Objective: To compare survival of ALS patients who received their care at MDC with that of patients followed by general neurology clinics. Methods: Source of the study was a prospective population-based registry of ALS established in Puglia, Southern Italy, in 1997. We examined survival of 126 out of 130 incident ALS cases that were diagnosed during the period 1998-99. 84 patients (67{\%}) were enrolled and followed by MDC and the remaining 42 (33{\%}) by general neurological clinics. No difference in median survival time from the diagnosis was observed between patients followed by ALS multidisciplinary (17.6 months) and general clinics (18 months). No beneficial effect was present among bulbar onset ALS (11.7 versus 23 months). In multivariate analysis management by ALS MDC was associated with only a 10{\%} increase in survival probability at 12 months (HR: 0.91; 95{\%}CI: 0.44-1.89; p = 0.9). Conclusions: In this population-based series, we found that in Southern Italy management of ALS by multidisciplinary clinics does not improve survival, regardless of site of symptoms onset.",
keywords = "Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Multidisciplinary clinic, Survival",
author = "Stefano Zoccolella and Ettore Beghi and Guerrino Palagano and Angela Fraddosio and Vito Guerra and Vito Lepore and Simone, {Isabella Laura} and Paolo Lamberti and Luigi Serlenga and Giancarlo Logroscino",
year = "2007",
month = "8",
doi = "10.1007/s00415-006-0401-y",
language = "English",
volume = "254",
pages = "1107--1112",
journal = "Journal of Neurology",
issn = "0340-5354",
publisher = "Dr. Dietrich Steinkopff Verlag GmbH and Co. KG",
number = "8",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - ALS multidisciplinary clinic and survival

T2 - Results from a population-based study in Southern Italy

AU - Zoccolella, Stefano

AU - Beghi, Ettore

AU - Palagano, Guerrino

AU - Fraddosio, Angela

AU - Guerra, Vito

AU - Lepore, Vito

AU - Simone, Isabella Laura

AU - Lamberti, Paolo

AU - Serlenga, Luigi

AU - Logroscino, Giancarlo

PY - 2007/8

Y1 - 2007/8

N2 - Background: Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is a neurodegenerative disease affecting motorneurons, for which there is no effective cure. Because of the multifactorial nature of impairment and disablity in ALS, multidisciplinary clinics (MDC) have been recently introduced in the management of ALS patients; their effects on survival remain, however, largely debated. Objective: To compare survival of ALS patients who received their care at MDC with that of patients followed by general neurology clinics. Methods: Source of the study was a prospective population-based registry of ALS established in Puglia, Southern Italy, in 1997. We examined survival of 126 out of 130 incident ALS cases that were diagnosed during the period 1998-99. 84 patients (67%) were enrolled and followed by MDC and the remaining 42 (33%) by general neurological clinics. No difference in median survival time from the diagnosis was observed between patients followed by ALS multidisciplinary (17.6 months) and general clinics (18 months). No beneficial effect was present among bulbar onset ALS (11.7 versus 23 months). In multivariate analysis management by ALS MDC was associated with only a 10% increase in survival probability at 12 months (HR: 0.91; 95%CI: 0.44-1.89; p = 0.9). Conclusions: In this population-based series, we found that in Southern Italy management of ALS by multidisciplinary clinics does not improve survival, regardless of site of symptoms onset.

AB - Background: Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is a neurodegenerative disease affecting motorneurons, for which there is no effective cure. Because of the multifactorial nature of impairment and disablity in ALS, multidisciplinary clinics (MDC) have been recently introduced in the management of ALS patients; their effects on survival remain, however, largely debated. Objective: To compare survival of ALS patients who received their care at MDC with that of patients followed by general neurology clinics. Methods: Source of the study was a prospective population-based registry of ALS established in Puglia, Southern Italy, in 1997. We examined survival of 126 out of 130 incident ALS cases that were diagnosed during the period 1998-99. 84 patients (67%) were enrolled and followed by MDC and the remaining 42 (33%) by general neurological clinics. No difference in median survival time from the diagnosis was observed between patients followed by ALS multidisciplinary (17.6 months) and general clinics (18 months). No beneficial effect was present among bulbar onset ALS (11.7 versus 23 months). In multivariate analysis management by ALS MDC was associated with only a 10% increase in survival probability at 12 months (HR: 0.91; 95%CI: 0.44-1.89; p = 0.9). Conclusions: In this population-based series, we found that in Southern Italy management of ALS by multidisciplinary clinics does not improve survival, regardless of site of symptoms onset.

KW - Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis

KW - Multidisciplinary clinic

KW - Survival

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=34548397674&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=34548397674&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1007/s00415-006-0401-y

DO - 10.1007/s00415-006-0401-y

M3 - Article

C2 - 17431705

AN - SCOPUS:34548397674

VL - 254

SP - 1107

EP - 1112

JO - Journal of Neurology

JF - Journal of Neurology

SN - 0340-5354

IS - 8

ER -