B Lymphocyte intestinal homing in inflammatory bowel disease

Caterina Defendenti, Piercarlo Sarzi-Puttini, Silvia Grosso, Annamaria Croce, Olivia Senesi, Simone Saibeni, Simona Bollani, Piero L. Almasio, Savino Bruno, Fabiola Atzeni

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

12 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Background: Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is thought to be due to an abnormal interaction between the host immune system and commensal microflora. Within the intestinal immune system, B cells produce physiologically natural antibodies but pathologically atypical anti-neutrophil antibodies (xANCAs) are frequently observed in patients with IBD. The objective is to investigate the localisation of immunoglobulin-producing cells (IPCs) in samples of inflamed intestinal tissue taken from patients with IBD, and their possible relationship with clinical features.Methods: The IPCs in small intestinal, colonic and rectal biopsy specimens of patients with IBD were analysed by means of immunofluorescence using polyclonal rabbit anti-human Ig and goat anti-human IgM. The B cell phenotype of the IPC-positive samples was assessed using monoclonal antibodies specific for CD79, CD20, CD23, CD21, CD5, λ and κ chains. Statistical correlations were sought between the histological findings and clinical expression.Results: The study involved 96 patients (64 with ulcerative colitis and 32 with Crohn's disease). Two different patterns of B lymphocyte infiltrates were found in the intestinal tissue: one was characterised by a strong to moderate stromal localisation of small IgM +/CD79 +/CD20 -/CD21 -/CD23 -/CD5 ± IPCs (42.7% of cases); in the other (57.3%) no such small IPCs were detected in stromal or epithelial tissues. IPCs were significantly less frequent in the patients with Crohn's disease than in those with ulcerative colitis (p = 0.004).Conclusion: Our findings suggest that different immunopathogenetic pathways underlie chronic intestinal inflammation with different clinical expressions. The presence of small B lymphocytes resembling B-1 cells also seemed to be negatively associated with Crohn's disease. It can therefore be inferred that the gut contains an alternative population of B cells that have a regulatory function.

Original languageEnglish
Article number71
JournalBMC Immunology
Volume12
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Dec 30 2011

Fingerprint

Antibody-Producing Cells
Inflammatory Bowel Diseases
B-Lymphocytes
Crohn Disease
Ulcerative Colitis
Immune System
Goats
Fluorescent Antibody Technique
Immunoglobulin M
Anti-Idiotypic Antibodies
Neutrophils
Epithelium
Monoclonal Antibodies
Rabbits
Inflammation
Phenotype
Biopsy
Antibodies
Population

Keywords

  • B1 cells
  • Inflammation
  • Inflammatory bowel disease
  • Lymphocyte homing
  • Lymphocytes
  • Mucosal immunity

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Immunology

Cite this

Defendenti, C., Sarzi-Puttini, P., Grosso, S., Croce, A., Senesi, O., Saibeni, S., ... Atzeni, F. (2011). B Lymphocyte intestinal homing in inflammatory bowel disease. BMC Immunology, 12, [71]. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2172-12-71

B Lymphocyte intestinal homing in inflammatory bowel disease. / Defendenti, Caterina; Sarzi-Puttini, Piercarlo; Grosso, Silvia; Croce, Annamaria; Senesi, Olivia; Saibeni, Simone; Bollani, Simona; Almasio, Piero L.; Bruno, Savino; Atzeni, Fabiola.

In: BMC Immunology, Vol. 12, 71, 30.12.2011.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Defendenti, C, Sarzi-Puttini, P, Grosso, S, Croce, A, Senesi, O, Saibeni, S, Bollani, S, Almasio, PL, Bruno, S & Atzeni, F 2011, 'B Lymphocyte intestinal homing in inflammatory bowel disease', BMC Immunology, vol. 12, 71. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2172-12-71
Defendenti C, Sarzi-Puttini P, Grosso S, Croce A, Senesi O, Saibeni S et al. B Lymphocyte intestinal homing in inflammatory bowel disease. BMC Immunology. 2011 Dec 30;12. 71. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2172-12-71
Defendenti, Caterina ; Sarzi-Puttini, Piercarlo ; Grosso, Silvia ; Croce, Annamaria ; Senesi, Olivia ; Saibeni, Simone ; Bollani, Simona ; Almasio, Piero L. ; Bruno, Savino ; Atzeni, Fabiola. / B Lymphocyte intestinal homing in inflammatory bowel disease. In: BMC Immunology. 2011 ; Vol. 12.
@article{50c88039915b4385b79579b01df10f20,
title = "B Lymphocyte intestinal homing in inflammatory bowel disease",
abstract = "Background: Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is thought to be due to an abnormal interaction between the host immune system and commensal microflora. Within the intestinal immune system, B cells produce physiologically natural antibodies but pathologically atypical anti-neutrophil antibodies (xANCAs) are frequently observed in patients with IBD. The objective is to investigate the localisation of immunoglobulin-producing cells (IPCs) in samples of inflamed intestinal tissue taken from patients with IBD, and their possible relationship with clinical features.Methods: The IPCs in small intestinal, colonic and rectal biopsy specimens of patients with IBD were analysed by means of immunofluorescence using polyclonal rabbit anti-human Ig and goat anti-human IgM. The B cell phenotype of the IPC-positive samples was assessed using monoclonal antibodies specific for CD79, CD20, CD23, CD21, CD5, λ and κ chains. Statistical correlations were sought between the histological findings and clinical expression.Results: The study involved 96 patients (64 with ulcerative colitis and 32 with Crohn's disease). Two different patterns of B lymphocyte infiltrates were found in the intestinal tissue: one was characterised by a strong to moderate stromal localisation of small IgM +/CD79 +/CD20 -/CD21 -/CD23 -/CD5 ± IPCs (42.7{\%} of cases); in the other (57.3{\%}) no such small IPCs were detected in stromal or epithelial tissues. IPCs were significantly less frequent in the patients with Crohn's disease than in those with ulcerative colitis (p = 0.004).Conclusion: Our findings suggest that different immunopathogenetic pathways underlie chronic intestinal inflammation with different clinical expressions. The presence of small B lymphocytes resembling B-1 cells also seemed to be negatively associated with Crohn's disease. It can therefore be inferred that the gut contains an alternative population of B cells that have a regulatory function.",
keywords = "B1 cells, Inflammation, Inflammatory bowel disease, Lymphocyte homing, Lymphocytes, Mucosal immunity",
author = "Caterina Defendenti and Piercarlo Sarzi-Puttini and Silvia Grosso and Annamaria Croce and Olivia Senesi and Simone Saibeni and Simona Bollani and Almasio, {Piero L.} and Savino Bruno and Fabiola Atzeni",
year = "2011",
month = "12",
day = "30",
doi = "10.1186/1471-2172-12-71",
language = "English",
volume = "12",
journal = "BMC Immunology",
issn = "1471-2172",
publisher = "BioMed Central",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - B Lymphocyte intestinal homing in inflammatory bowel disease

AU - Defendenti, Caterina

AU - Sarzi-Puttini, Piercarlo

AU - Grosso, Silvia

AU - Croce, Annamaria

AU - Senesi, Olivia

AU - Saibeni, Simone

AU - Bollani, Simona

AU - Almasio, Piero L.

AU - Bruno, Savino

AU - Atzeni, Fabiola

PY - 2011/12/30

Y1 - 2011/12/30

N2 - Background: Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is thought to be due to an abnormal interaction between the host immune system and commensal microflora. Within the intestinal immune system, B cells produce physiologically natural antibodies but pathologically atypical anti-neutrophil antibodies (xANCAs) are frequently observed in patients with IBD. The objective is to investigate the localisation of immunoglobulin-producing cells (IPCs) in samples of inflamed intestinal tissue taken from patients with IBD, and their possible relationship with clinical features.Methods: The IPCs in small intestinal, colonic and rectal biopsy specimens of patients with IBD were analysed by means of immunofluorescence using polyclonal rabbit anti-human Ig and goat anti-human IgM. The B cell phenotype of the IPC-positive samples was assessed using monoclonal antibodies specific for CD79, CD20, CD23, CD21, CD5, λ and κ chains. Statistical correlations were sought between the histological findings and clinical expression.Results: The study involved 96 patients (64 with ulcerative colitis and 32 with Crohn's disease). Two different patterns of B lymphocyte infiltrates were found in the intestinal tissue: one was characterised by a strong to moderate stromal localisation of small IgM +/CD79 +/CD20 -/CD21 -/CD23 -/CD5 ± IPCs (42.7% of cases); in the other (57.3%) no such small IPCs were detected in stromal or epithelial tissues. IPCs were significantly less frequent in the patients with Crohn's disease than in those with ulcerative colitis (p = 0.004).Conclusion: Our findings suggest that different immunopathogenetic pathways underlie chronic intestinal inflammation with different clinical expressions. The presence of small B lymphocytes resembling B-1 cells also seemed to be negatively associated with Crohn's disease. It can therefore be inferred that the gut contains an alternative population of B cells that have a regulatory function.

AB - Background: Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is thought to be due to an abnormal interaction between the host immune system and commensal microflora. Within the intestinal immune system, B cells produce physiologically natural antibodies but pathologically atypical anti-neutrophil antibodies (xANCAs) are frequently observed in patients with IBD. The objective is to investigate the localisation of immunoglobulin-producing cells (IPCs) in samples of inflamed intestinal tissue taken from patients with IBD, and their possible relationship with clinical features.Methods: The IPCs in small intestinal, colonic and rectal biopsy specimens of patients with IBD were analysed by means of immunofluorescence using polyclonal rabbit anti-human Ig and goat anti-human IgM. The B cell phenotype of the IPC-positive samples was assessed using monoclonal antibodies specific for CD79, CD20, CD23, CD21, CD5, λ and κ chains. Statistical correlations were sought between the histological findings and clinical expression.Results: The study involved 96 patients (64 with ulcerative colitis and 32 with Crohn's disease). Two different patterns of B lymphocyte infiltrates were found in the intestinal tissue: one was characterised by a strong to moderate stromal localisation of small IgM +/CD79 +/CD20 -/CD21 -/CD23 -/CD5 ± IPCs (42.7% of cases); in the other (57.3%) no such small IPCs were detected in stromal or epithelial tissues. IPCs were significantly less frequent in the patients with Crohn's disease than in those with ulcerative colitis (p = 0.004).Conclusion: Our findings suggest that different immunopathogenetic pathways underlie chronic intestinal inflammation with different clinical expressions. The presence of small B lymphocytes resembling B-1 cells also seemed to be negatively associated with Crohn's disease. It can therefore be inferred that the gut contains an alternative population of B cells that have a regulatory function.

KW - B1 cells

KW - Inflammation

KW - Inflammatory bowel disease

KW - Lymphocyte homing

KW - Lymphocytes

KW - Mucosal immunity

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84855177844&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84855177844&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1186/1471-2172-12-71

DO - 10.1186/1471-2172-12-71

M3 - Article

C2 - 22208453

AN - SCOPUS:84855177844

VL - 12

JO - BMC Immunology

JF - BMC Immunology

SN - 1471-2172

M1 - 71

ER -