c-myc Overexpression is a tumor-specific phenomenon in a subset of human colorectal carcinomas

Alessandra Viel, Roberta Maestro, Giuseppe Toffoli, Giorgio Grion, Mauro Boiocchi

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

The transcriptional activity of the c-myc proto-oncogene was examined in 25 primary human colorectal carcinomas and their corresponding normal mucosae. The purpose was to determine whether the elevated levels of c-myc expression, frequently detected in this type of tumor, might be the consequence of alterations in the cell growth rate or the effect of a real transcriptional deregulation of the gene. In about 44% of the tumors the elevated c-myc expression was consequent to the enhanced growth rate of the neoplastic tissue, as estimated by the expression of the S-phase-specific histone H3 gene. In the other 56%, c-myc overexpression did not entirely depend on the proliferative activity of the neoplastic population. In this latter group, c-myc deregulation did not reside in structural modifications of the putative regulatory regions of the gene. Therefore, c-myc overexpression, at least in a subset of colorectal cancer, seems to be consequent to alterations in transregulative phenomena exerted on the c-myc gene by other genetic loci.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)288-294
Number of pages7
JournalJournal of Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology
Volume116
Issue number3
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - May 1990

Keywords

  • c-myc overexpression
  • Colorectal carcinomas
  • Histone H3

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Oncology
  • Cancer Research

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'c-myc Overexpression is a tumor-specific phenomenon in a subset of human colorectal carcinomas'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this