Ca2+ signalling pathways activated by acetylcholine in mouse C2C12 myotubes

Francesca Grassi, Sergio Fucile, Fabrizio Eusebi

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

In mouse C2C12 myotubes acetylcholine (ACh) elevates the concentration of myoplasmic Ca2+ ([Ca2+]i) by inducing Ca2+ influx through transmittergated and voltage-gated channels, and by mobilizing Ca2+ from internal stores. The relative contribution of each of these ACh-activated sources to the global [Ca2+]i elevation was estimated. We found that Ca2+ entry through voltage- and ACh-gated channels accounts for roughly 80% of the total [Ca2+]i increment, while mobilization from internal caffeine-sensitive and inositol-trisphosphate (Ins P3-) sensitive stores contributes the remaining 20% to the maximal [Ca2+]i increment. Furthermore, we found that ACh-induced mobilization from Ins P3-sensitive stores also develops in embryonic chick myotubes. The differential importance of the Ca2+ signalling pathways activated by ACh during myogenesis is discussed.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)340-345
Number of pages6
JournalPflugers Archiv European Journal of Physiology
Volume428
Issue number3-4
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Oct 1994

Fingerprint

Skeletal Muscle Fibers
Acetylcholine
Muscle Development
Electric potential
Inositol
Caffeine

Keywords

  • Acetylcholine
  • Acetylcholine nicotinic receptor
  • C2C12 myotube
  • Calcium
  • Metabotropic function

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Physiology

Cite this

Ca2+ signalling pathways activated by acetylcholine in mouse C2C12 myotubes. / Grassi, Francesca; Fucile, Sergio; Eusebi, Fabrizio.

In: Pflugers Archiv European Journal of Physiology, Vol. 428, No. 3-4, 10.1994, p. 340-345.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{9a91160c9b5a4a009f7cc7a5b2a52211,
title = "Ca2+ signalling pathways activated by acetylcholine in mouse C2C12 myotubes",
abstract = "In mouse C2C12 myotubes acetylcholine (ACh) elevates the concentration of myoplasmic Ca2+ ([Ca2+]i) by inducing Ca2+ influx through transmittergated and voltage-gated channels, and by mobilizing Ca2+ from internal stores. The relative contribution of each of these ACh-activated sources to the global [Ca2+]i elevation was estimated. We found that Ca2+ entry through voltage- and ACh-gated channels accounts for roughly 80{\%} of the total [Ca2+]i increment, while mobilization from internal caffeine-sensitive and inositol-trisphosphate (Ins P3-) sensitive stores contributes the remaining 20{\%} to the maximal [Ca2+]i increment. Furthermore, we found that ACh-induced mobilization from Ins P3-sensitive stores also develops in embryonic chick myotubes. The differential importance of the Ca2+ signalling pathways activated by ACh during myogenesis is discussed.",
keywords = "Acetylcholine, Acetylcholine nicotinic receptor, C2C12 myotube, Calcium, Metabotropic function",
author = "Francesca Grassi and Sergio Fucile and Fabrizio Eusebi",
year = "1994",
month = "10",
doi = "10.1007/BF00724516",
language = "English",
volume = "428",
pages = "340--345",
journal = "Pflugers Archiv European Journal of Physiology",
issn = "0031-6768",
publisher = "Springer Verlag",
number = "3-4",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Ca2+ signalling pathways activated by acetylcholine in mouse C2C12 myotubes

AU - Grassi, Francesca

AU - Fucile, Sergio

AU - Eusebi, Fabrizio

PY - 1994/10

Y1 - 1994/10

N2 - In mouse C2C12 myotubes acetylcholine (ACh) elevates the concentration of myoplasmic Ca2+ ([Ca2+]i) by inducing Ca2+ influx through transmittergated and voltage-gated channels, and by mobilizing Ca2+ from internal stores. The relative contribution of each of these ACh-activated sources to the global [Ca2+]i elevation was estimated. We found that Ca2+ entry through voltage- and ACh-gated channels accounts for roughly 80% of the total [Ca2+]i increment, while mobilization from internal caffeine-sensitive and inositol-trisphosphate (Ins P3-) sensitive stores contributes the remaining 20% to the maximal [Ca2+]i increment. Furthermore, we found that ACh-induced mobilization from Ins P3-sensitive stores also develops in embryonic chick myotubes. The differential importance of the Ca2+ signalling pathways activated by ACh during myogenesis is discussed.

AB - In mouse C2C12 myotubes acetylcholine (ACh) elevates the concentration of myoplasmic Ca2+ ([Ca2+]i) by inducing Ca2+ influx through transmittergated and voltage-gated channels, and by mobilizing Ca2+ from internal stores. The relative contribution of each of these ACh-activated sources to the global [Ca2+]i elevation was estimated. We found that Ca2+ entry through voltage- and ACh-gated channels accounts for roughly 80% of the total [Ca2+]i increment, while mobilization from internal caffeine-sensitive and inositol-trisphosphate (Ins P3-) sensitive stores contributes the remaining 20% to the maximal [Ca2+]i increment. Furthermore, we found that ACh-induced mobilization from Ins P3-sensitive stores also develops in embryonic chick myotubes. The differential importance of the Ca2+ signalling pathways activated by ACh during myogenesis is discussed.

KW - Acetylcholine

KW - Acetylcholine nicotinic receptor

KW - C2C12 myotube

KW - Calcium

KW - Metabotropic function

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0028169568&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0028169568&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1007/BF00724516

DO - 10.1007/BF00724516

M3 - Article

C2 - 7529402

AN - SCOPUS:0028169568

VL - 428

SP - 340

EP - 345

JO - Pflugers Archiv European Journal of Physiology

JF - Pflugers Archiv European Journal of Physiology

SN - 0031-6768

IS - 3-4

ER -