Cancer incidence in 854 kidney transplant recipients from a single institution: Comparison with normal population and with patients under dialytic treatment

G. Montagnino, E. Lorca, A. Tarantino, P. Bencini, A. Aroldi, B. Cesana, M. Braga, F. Lonati, C. Pontlcelli

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

70 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

In this retrospective historical study, we compared the incidences of malignancies observed among 854 renal transplant recipients (RT) with at least 1 yr of follow-up, with the incidences of neoplasias among patients under regular dialytic treatment (RDT) and a control population from Northern Italy. Cox's proportional hazard model was used in RT recipients in order to evaluate the prognostic factors related to the development of neoplasia. Seventy six out of 854 RT patients (8.9%) developed some malignant neoplasia: 46% of these 76 were cutaneous neoplasias including melanomas, and the remaining 54% non cutaneous cancers: 33% miscellaneous tumors (MT), mostly adenocarcinomas, 17% Kaposi's sarcomas (KS), 4% non-Hodgkin's lymphomas (NHL). Malignancies had a higher incidence (p <0.01) among RT recipients than among control and RDT patients. However, MT were equally frequent among the three groups. RDT patients on the contrary, had similar incidence of neoplasias when compared to the control population, but showed a lower incidence of squamous cell carcinomas (SCC). The risk ratios (RR) for the most frequent neoplasias among RT recipients vs. control population were: 224.7 for KS, 7.4 for NHL, 6.2 for SCC, 5.7 for basal cell carcinomas (BCC), 4.0 for MT. The risk of developing a de novo neoplasia was of about 13% at 10 yr and of 34% at 20 yr. In RT recipients, Cox's proportional analysis showed that age > 40 at transplantation and male sex were the only risk factors associated with an increased incidence of neoplasias, while no difference was observed between conventional (azathioprine+methylprednis olone: Aza+MP) and CsA therapy or in CsA monotherapy vs. double or triple therapy. However, KS occurrence correlated both with CsA dose (RR 15.2 for monotherapy; 12.5 for double therapy; 2.98 for triple therapy) and with 10 or more i.v. methylprednisolone pulses for treatment of rejection (RR 5.2). We conclude that in our series CsA does not increase the risk for development of neoplasias, when compared to conventional immunosuppression.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)461-469
Number of pages9
JournalClinical Transplantation
Volume10
Issue number5
Publication statusPublished - 1996

Fingerprint

Kidney
Incidence
Population
Neoplasms
Therapeutics
Kaposi's Sarcoma
Transplant Recipients
Methylprednisolone
Azathioprine
Skin Neoplasms
Proportional Hazards Models
Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma
Immunosuppression
Italy
Melanoma
Adenocarcinoma
Retrospective Studies
Transplantation
Skin

Keywords

  • Cancer incidence
  • Control population
  • Dialysis
  • Renal transplantation

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Transplantation
  • Immunology

Cite this

Montagnino, G., Lorca, E., Tarantino, A., Bencini, P., Aroldi, A., Cesana, B., ... Pontlcelli, C. (1996). Cancer incidence in 854 kidney transplant recipients from a single institution: Comparison with normal population and with patients under dialytic treatment. Clinical Transplantation, 10(5), 461-469.

Cancer incidence in 854 kidney transplant recipients from a single institution : Comparison with normal population and with patients under dialytic treatment. / Montagnino, G.; Lorca, E.; Tarantino, A.; Bencini, P.; Aroldi, A.; Cesana, B.; Braga, M.; Lonati, F.; Pontlcelli, C.

In: Clinical Transplantation, Vol. 10, No. 5, 1996, p. 461-469.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Montagnino, G, Lorca, E, Tarantino, A, Bencini, P, Aroldi, A, Cesana, B, Braga, M, Lonati, F & Pontlcelli, C 1996, 'Cancer incidence in 854 kidney transplant recipients from a single institution: Comparison with normal population and with patients under dialytic treatment', Clinical Transplantation, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 461-469.
Montagnino, G. ; Lorca, E. ; Tarantino, A. ; Bencini, P. ; Aroldi, A. ; Cesana, B. ; Braga, M. ; Lonati, F. ; Pontlcelli, C. / Cancer incidence in 854 kidney transplant recipients from a single institution : Comparison with normal population and with patients under dialytic treatment. In: Clinical Transplantation. 1996 ; Vol. 10, No. 5. pp. 461-469.
@article{bec2f8fd91ba4580887739319d06f70b,
title = "Cancer incidence in 854 kidney transplant recipients from a single institution: Comparison with normal population and with patients under dialytic treatment",
abstract = "In this retrospective historical study, we compared the incidences of malignancies observed among 854 renal transplant recipients (RT) with at least 1 yr of follow-up, with the incidences of neoplasias among patients under regular dialytic treatment (RDT) and a control population from Northern Italy. Cox's proportional hazard model was used in RT recipients in order to evaluate the prognostic factors related to the development of neoplasia. Seventy six out of 854 RT patients (8.9{\%}) developed some malignant neoplasia: 46{\%} of these 76 were cutaneous neoplasias including melanomas, and the remaining 54{\%} non cutaneous cancers: 33{\%} miscellaneous tumors (MT), mostly adenocarcinomas, 17{\%} Kaposi's sarcomas (KS), 4{\%} non-Hodgkin's lymphomas (NHL). Malignancies had a higher incidence (p <0.01) among RT recipients than among control and RDT patients. However, MT were equally frequent among the three groups. RDT patients on the contrary, had similar incidence of neoplasias when compared to the control population, but showed a lower incidence of squamous cell carcinomas (SCC). The risk ratios (RR) for the most frequent neoplasias among RT recipients vs. control population were: 224.7 for KS, 7.4 for NHL, 6.2 for SCC, 5.7 for basal cell carcinomas (BCC), 4.0 for MT. The risk of developing a de novo neoplasia was of about 13{\%} at 10 yr and of 34{\%} at 20 yr. In RT recipients, Cox's proportional analysis showed that age > 40 at transplantation and male sex were the only risk factors associated with an increased incidence of neoplasias, while no difference was observed between conventional (azathioprine+methylprednis olone: Aza+MP) and CsA therapy or in CsA monotherapy vs. double or triple therapy. However, KS occurrence correlated both with CsA dose (RR 15.2 for monotherapy; 12.5 for double therapy; 2.98 for triple therapy) and with 10 or more i.v. methylprednisolone pulses for treatment of rejection (RR 5.2). We conclude that in our series CsA does not increase the risk for development of neoplasias, when compared to conventional immunosuppression.",
keywords = "Cancer incidence, Control population, Dialysis, Renal transplantation",
author = "G. Montagnino and E. Lorca and A. Tarantino and P. Bencini and A. Aroldi and B. Cesana and M. Braga and F. Lonati and C. Pontlcelli",
year = "1996",
language = "English",
volume = "10",
pages = "461--469",
journal = "Clinical Transplantation",
issn = "0902-0063",
publisher = "Wiley-Blackwell",
number = "5",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Cancer incidence in 854 kidney transplant recipients from a single institution

T2 - Comparison with normal population and with patients under dialytic treatment

AU - Montagnino, G.

AU - Lorca, E.

AU - Tarantino, A.

AU - Bencini, P.

AU - Aroldi, A.

AU - Cesana, B.

AU - Braga, M.

AU - Lonati, F.

AU - Pontlcelli, C.

PY - 1996

Y1 - 1996

N2 - In this retrospective historical study, we compared the incidences of malignancies observed among 854 renal transplant recipients (RT) with at least 1 yr of follow-up, with the incidences of neoplasias among patients under regular dialytic treatment (RDT) and a control population from Northern Italy. Cox's proportional hazard model was used in RT recipients in order to evaluate the prognostic factors related to the development of neoplasia. Seventy six out of 854 RT patients (8.9%) developed some malignant neoplasia: 46% of these 76 were cutaneous neoplasias including melanomas, and the remaining 54% non cutaneous cancers: 33% miscellaneous tumors (MT), mostly adenocarcinomas, 17% Kaposi's sarcomas (KS), 4% non-Hodgkin's lymphomas (NHL). Malignancies had a higher incidence (p <0.01) among RT recipients than among control and RDT patients. However, MT were equally frequent among the three groups. RDT patients on the contrary, had similar incidence of neoplasias when compared to the control population, but showed a lower incidence of squamous cell carcinomas (SCC). The risk ratios (RR) for the most frequent neoplasias among RT recipients vs. control population were: 224.7 for KS, 7.4 for NHL, 6.2 for SCC, 5.7 for basal cell carcinomas (BCC), 4.0 for MT. The risk of developing a de novo neoplasia was of about 13% at 10 yr and of 34% at 20 yr. In RT recipients, Cox's proportional analysis showed that age > 40 at transplantation and male sex were the only risk factors associated with an increased incidence of neoplasias, while no difference was observed between conventional (azathioprine+methylprednis olone: Aza+MP) and CsA therapy or in CsA monotherapy vs. double or triple therapy. However, KS occurrence correlated both with CsA dose (RR 15.2 for monotherapy; 12.5 for double therapy; 2.98 for triple therapy) and with 10 or more i.v. methylprednisolone pulses for treatment of rejection (RR 5.2). We conclude that in our series CsA does not increase the risk for development of neoplasias, when compared to conventional immunosuppression.

AB - In this retrospective historical study, we compared the incidences of malignancies observed among 854 renal transplant recipients (RT) with at least 1 yr of follow-up, with the incidences of neoplasias among patients under regular dialytic treatment (RDT) and a control population from Northern Italy. Cox's proportional hazard model was used in RT recipients in order to evaluate the prognostic factors related to the development of neoplasia. Seventy six out of 854 RT patients (8.9%) developed some malignant neoplasia: 46% of these 76 were cutaneous neoplasias including melanomas, and the remaining 54% non cutaneous cancers: 33% miscellaneous tumors (MT), mostly adenocarcinomas, 17% Kaposi's sarcomas (KS), 4% non-Hodgkin's lymphomas (NHL). Malignancies had a higher incidence (p <0.01) among RT recipients than among control and RDT patients. However, MT were equally frequent among the three groups. RDT patients on the contrary, had similar incidence of neoplasias when compared to the control population, but showed a lower incidence of squamous cell carcinomas (SCC). The risk ratios (RR) for the most frequent neoplasias among RT recipients vs. control population were: 224.7 for KS, 7.4 for NHL, 6.2 for SCC, 5.7 for basal cell carcinomas (BCC), 4.0 for MT. The risk of developing a de novo neoplasia was of about 13% at 10 yr and of 34% at 20 yr. In RT recipients, Cox's proportional analysis showed that age > 40 at transplantation and male sex were the only risk factors associated with an increased incidence of neoplasias, while no difference was observed between conventional (azathioprine+methylprednis olone: Aza+MP) and CsA therapy or in CsA monotherapy vs. double or triple therapy. However, KS occurrence correlated both with CsA dose (RR 15.2 for monotherapy; 12.5 for double therapy; 2.98 for triple therapy) and with 10 or more i.v. methylprednisolone pulses for treatment of rejection (RR 5.2). We conclude that in our series CsA does not increase the risk for development of neoplasias, when compared to conventional immunosuppression.

KW - Cancer incidence

KW - Control population

KW - Dialysis

KW - Renal transplantation

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0029952792&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0029952792&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

C2 - 8930463

AN - SCOPUS:0029952792

VL - 10

SP - 461

EP - 469

JO - Clinical Transplantation

JF - Clinical Transplantation

SN - 0902-0063

IS - 5

ER -