Changing clinical presentation of multiple myeloma

Alberto Riccardi, Paolo G. Gobbi, Giovanni Ucci, Daniele Bertoloni, Renata Luoni, Leonardo Rutigliano, Edoardo Ascari

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

We compared the presentation features of three series of patients with multiple myeloma diagnosed between 1960 and 1971 (Kyle R, Mayo Clin Proc, 1975, 50, 29, n = 869), 1972 and 1986 (Clinica Medica, University of Pavia, n = 345) and 1987 and 1990 (Cooperative Group for Study and Treatment of Multiple Myeloma, n = 341). In the most recently diagnosed patients, the percentage of those who had symptoms related to multiple myeloma (i.e. any of bone pain, systemic symptoms, disturbances related to hypercalcemia, neurological involvement and hyperviscosity) was reduced (90 vs. 86 vs. 66%) (P <0.001), while the percentage of asymptomatic patients diagnosed by chance was increased (not reported, and 14 vs. 34%). In the most recent series, a lower percentage of spontaneous bone pain (68 vs. 60 vs. 37%, P <0.001) paralleled a lower incidence of advanced bone disease (osteolyses and pathological fractures, 60 vs. 64 vs. 34%), and renal failure (serum creatinine > 1.2 mg/dl) was also less common (56 vs. 44 vs. 33%, P <0.01), at least partially due to a decreased incidence of both hypercalcemia (30 vs. 20 vs. 18%, P <0.001) and of hyperuricemia (serum uric acid >7 mg/dl, 47 vs. 32 vs. 26%, P <0.01). Systemic symptoms (weakness, infections, fever or weight loss) were reported more seldom by recently diagnosed patients, due to a decreased frequency of anaemia (haemoglobin <12 g/dl), leukopenia and thrombocytopenia, as well as of the systemic effects of bone pain and of renal insufficiency. These data indicate that multiple myeloma is diagnosed earlier now than in the past, and this must be taken into account when comparing survival data in treated series.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1401-1405
Number of pages5
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer and Clinical Oncology
Volume27
Issue number11
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 1991

    Fingerprint

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Oncology
  • Cancer Research

Cite this

Riccardi, A., Gobbi, P. G., Ucci, G., Bertoloni, D., Luoni, R., Rutigliano, L., & Ascari, E. (1991). Changing clinical presentation of multiple myeloma. European Journal of Cancer and Clinical Oncology, 27(11), 1401-1405. https://doi.org/10.1016/0277-5379(91)90020-E