Combination chemotherapy with oral idarubicin and cyclophosphamide for metastatic breast cancer

Massimo Lopez, Patrizia Vici, Silvia Carpano, Maurilio Natali, Fabrizio Ganzina, Ettore MS Conti, Luigi Di Lauro

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

A group of 40 women with objectively measurable metastatic breast cancer was treated with idarubicin, 35 mg/m2 on day 1, and cyclophosphamide, 200 mg/ m2 on days 2-5, both drugs being administered orally every 3 weeks. Of 37 evaluable patients, 4 (10.8%) achieved a complete response and 14 (37.8%) a partial response, for an overall response rate of 48.6% (95% confidence interval, 37.45%-59.75%). In previously untreated patients the response rate was 58.3%, whereas it was 44% in patients previously exposed to cytotoxic drugs. The median duration of response was 6.5 months, and the median survival of all patients was 10.5 months. Moderate nausea and vomiting were common. Diarrhoea, which occurred in 37% of the patients, was usually short-lived. Alopecia was generally mild, myelosuppression was the dose-limiting toxicity. Grade 3-4 leukopenia occurred only in pretreated patients. In previously untreated patients it was generally of grade 1-2. Laboratory evidence of cardiotoxicity (≥20% decrease in the left-ventricular ejection fraction from the baseline value) was observed in 3 out of 26 patients, who had at least two determinations of the left-ventricular ejection fraction, and was transient in nature. No cases of congestive heart failure were observed. These results indicate that the combination of idarubicin + cyclophosphamide represents a practical and effective regimen to be used in selected patients with advanced breast cancer.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)61-64
Number of pages4
JournalJournal of Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology
Volume117
Issue number1
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Jan 1991

Fingerprint

Idarubicin
Combination Drug Therapy
Cyclophosphamide
Breast Neoplasms
Stroke Volume
Alopecia
Leukopenia
Pharmaceutical Preparations
Nausea
Vomiting
Diarrhea
Heart Failure
Confidence Intervals

Keywords

  • Breast cancer
  • Oral cyclophosphamide
  • Oral idarubicin

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Oncology
  • Cancer Research

Cite this

Combination chemotherapy with oral idarubicin and cyclophosphamide for metastatic breast cancer. / Lopez, Massimo; Vici, Patrizia; Carpano, Silvia; Natali, Maurilio; Ganzina, Fabrizio; Conti, Ettore MS; Di Lauro, Luigi.

In: Journal of Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology, Vol. 117, No. 1, 01.1991, p. 61-64.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Lopez, Massimo ; Vici, Patrizia ; Carpano, Silvia ; Natali, Maurilio ; Ganzina, Fabrizio ; Conti, Ettore MS ; Di Lauro, Luigi. / Combination chemotherapy with oral idarubicin and cyclophosphamide for metastatic breast cancer. In: Journal of Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology. 1991 ; Vol. 117, No. 1. pp. 61-64.
@article{03b99ce0ff3849ab9604b0f5e3f5dd4e,
title = "Combination chemotherapy with oral idarubicin and cyclophosphamide for metastatic breast cancer",
abstract = "A group of 40 women with objectively measurable metastatic breast cancer was treated with idarubicin, 35 mg/m2 on day 1, and cyclophosphamide, 200 mg/ m2 on days 2-5, both drugs being administered orally every 3 weeks. Of 37 evaluable patients, 4 (10.8{\%}) achieved a complete response and 14 (37.8{\%}) a partial response, for an overall response rate of 48.6{\%} (95{\%} confidence interval, 37.45{\%}-59.75{\%}). In previously untreated patients the response rate was 58.3{\%}, whereas it was 44{\%} in patients previously exposed to cytotoxic drugs. The median duration of response was 6.5 months, and the median survival of all patients was 10.5 months. Moderate nausea and vomiting were common. Diarrhoea, which occurred in 37{\%} of the patients, was usually short-lived. Alopecia was generally mild, myelosuppression was the dose-limiting toxicity. Grade 3-4 leukopenia occurred only in pretreated patients. In previously untreated patients it was generally of grade 1-2. Laboratory evidence of cardiotoxicity (≥20{\%} decrease in the left-ventricular ejection fraction from the baseline value) was observed in 3 out of 26 patients, who had at least two determinations of the left-ventricular ejection fraction, and was transient in nature. No cases of congestive heart failure were observed. These results indicate that the combination of idarubicin + cyclophosphamide represents a practical and effective regimen to be used in selected patients with advanced breast cancer.",
keywords = "Breast cancer, Oral cyclophosphamide, Oral idarubicin",
author = "Massimo Lopez and Patrizia Vici and Silvia Carpano and Maurilio Natali and Fabrizio Ganzina and Conti, {Ettore MS} and {Di Lauro}, Luigi",
year = "1991",
month = "1",
doi = "10.1007/BF01613198",
language = "English",
volume = "117",
pages = "61--64",
journal = "Journal of Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology",
issn = "0171-5216",
publisher = "Springer Verlag",
number = "1",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Combination chemotherapy with oral idarubicin and cyclophosphamide for metastatic breast cancer

AU - Lopez, Massimo

AU - Vici, Patrizia

AU - Carpano, Silvia

AU - Natali, Maurilio

AU - Ganzina, Fabrizio

AU - Conti, Ettore MS

AU - Di Lauro, Luigi

PY - 1991/1

Y1 - 1991/1

N2 - A group of 40 women with objectively measurable metastatic breast cancer was treated with idarubicin, 35 mg/m2 on day 1, and cyclophosphamide, 200 mg/ m2 on days 2-5, both drugs being administered orally every 3 weeks. Of 37 evaluable patients, 4 (10.8%) achieved a complete response and 14 (37.8%) a partial response, for an overall response rate of 48.6% (95% confidence interval, 37.45%-59.75%). In previously untreated patients the response rate was 58.3%, whereas it was 44% in patients previously exposed to cytotoxic drugs. The median duration of response was 6.5 months, and the median survival of all patients was 10.5 months. Moderate nausea and vomiting were common. Diarrhoea, which occurred in 37% of the patients, was usually short-lived. Alopecia was generally mild, myelosuppression was the dose-limiting toxicity. Grade 3-4 leukopenia occurred only in pretreated patients. In previously untreated patients it was generally of grade 1-2. Laboratory evidence of cardiotoxicity (≥20% decrease in the left-ventricular ejection fraction from the baseline value) was observed in 3 out of 26 patients, who had at least two determinations of the left-ventricular ejection fraction, and was transient in nature. No cases of congestive heart failure were observed. These results indicate that the combination of idarubicin + cyclophosphamide represents a practical and effective regimen to be used in selected patients with advanced breast cancer.

AB - A group of 40 women with objectively measurable metastatic breast cancer was treated with idarubicin, 35 mg/m2 on day 1, and cyclophosphamide, 200 mg/ m2 on days 2-5, both drugs being administered orally every 3 weeks. Of 37 evaluable patients, 4 (10.8%) achieved a complete response and 14 (37.8%) a partial response, for an overall response rate of 48.6% (95% confidence interval, 37.45%-59.75%). In previously untreated patients the response rate was 58.3%, whereas it was 44% in patients previously exposed to cytotoxic drugs. The median duration of response was 6.5 months, and the median survival of all patients was 10.5 months. Moderate nausea and vomiting were common. Diarrhoea, which occurred in 37% of the patients, was usually short-lived. Alopecia was generally mild, myelosuppression was the dose-limiting toxicity. Grade 3-4 leukopenia occurred only in pretreated patients. In previously untreated patients it was generally of grade 1-2. Laboratory evidence of cardiotoxicity (≥20% decrease in the left-ventricular ejection fraction from the baseline value) was observed in 3 out of 26 patients, who had at least two determinations of the left-ventricular ejection fraction, and was transient in nature. No cases of congestive heart failure were observed. These results indicate that the combination of idarubicin + cyclophosphamide represents a practical and effective regimen to be used in selected patients with advanced breast cancer.

KW - Breast cancer

KW - Oral cyclophosphamide

KW - Oral idarubicin

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0025966651&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0025966651&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1007/BF01613198

DO - 10.1007/BF01613198

M3 - Article

C2 - 1997473

AN - SCOPUS:0025966651

VL - 117

SP - 61

EP - 64

JO - Journal of Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology

JF - Journal of Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology

SN - 0171-5216

IS - 1

ER -