Combination gemcitabine, platinum, and bevacizumab for the treatment of recurrent ovarian cancer

Debra L. Richardson, Floor J. Backes, Leigh G. Seamon, Vanna Zanagnolo, David M. O'Malley, David E. Cohn, Jeffrey M. Fowler, Larry J. Copeland

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Objective: To describe the response rate (RR), progression-free survival (PFS), and toxicity profile of combination gemcitabine, platinum, and bevacizumab (GPB) for the treatment of recurrent epithelial ovarian cancer (EOC). Methods: A chart review of all patients with recurrent EOC who were treated with D1, D15 GPB in a 28-day cycle at a single institution was performed. Standard doses were gemcitabine 1000 mg/m2, cisplatin 30 mg/m2 or carboplatin AUC 3, and bevacizumab 10 mg/kg. All patients were analyzed for toxicity. RR and PFS were assessed in all patients who received at least 2 cycles of GPB. Results: Thirty-five patients were identified, and 33 received at least 2 cycles of GPB. The majority of patients (80%) were platinum sensitive. Patients received a median of 6 cycles of GPB (range 1-24). Sixteen patients (48%) had a complete response (CR), and 10 patients (30%) had a partial response (PR), for a total RR of 78%. An additional 5 patients (15%) had stable disease, and only 2 (6%) patients had progressive disease. The median overall PFS was 12 months (95% CI 7-15), with a median follow-up time of 10 months (2-22). Two patients (6%) had bowel perforations, and both survived. Hematologic toxicities were most common, with 29% and 14% of patients experiencing grade 3 or 4 neutropenia and thrombocytopenia respectively. Conclusions: The combination of GPB demonstrated excellent efficacy for the treatment of recurrent EOC. However, serious toxicities occurred, and the safety profile of this combination requires further study.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)461-466
Number of pages6
JournalGynecologic Oncology
Volume111
Issue number3
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Dec 2008

Keywords

  • Bevacizumab
  • Bowel perforation
  • Gemcitabine
  • Platinum
  • Recurrent epithelial ovarian cancer

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Obstetrics and Gynaecology
  • Oncology

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Combination gemcitabine, platinum, and bevacizumab for the treatment of recurrent ovarian cancer'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this