Combination therapy with platinum and etoposide of brain metastases from breast carcinoma

Giorgio Cocconi, Renata Lottici, Giancarlo Bisagni, Marisa Bacchi, Maurizio Tonato, Rodolfo Passalacqua, Corrado Boni, Virginio Belsanti, Pellegrino Bassi

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Twenty-two consecutive patients with brain metastases from breast carcinoma were treated with a combination of platinum (100 mg/m2 day 1) and etoposide (100 mg/m2 days 4,6,8) every three weeks. Five (23% achieved a complete response (CR) while 7 (32% obtained a partial response (PR) for an overall response rate of 55% The 95% confidence interval for combined CR and PR was 34-76% Five patients received brain irradiation after reaching the maximum degree of objective remission by chemotherapy. Median duration of combined CR plus PR was 40 weeks (12 + 152). Median duration of survival was 58 weeks (2; 208+ Fifty-five percent of the patients were alive at one year. Our study demonstrates that this combination treatment is highly effective in the management of brain metastases from breast carcinoma.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)327-334
Number of pages8
JournalCancer Investigation
Volume8
Issue number3-4
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 1990

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Cancer Research
  • Oncology

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Combination therapy with platinum and etoposide of brain metastases from breast carcinoma'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this