Comparison of clinical and angiographic prognostic risk scores in elderly patients presenting with acute coronary syndrome and referred for percutaneous coronary intervention

Giuseppe Vassalli, Ilaria D'Angeli, Frank Scherff, Daniel Sürder, Antonio Mantovani, Elena Pasotti, Catherine Klersy, Angelo Auricchio, Tiziano Moccetti, Giovanni B. Pedrazzini

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

BACKGROUND: Multiple risk prediction models have been validated in all-age patients presenting with acute coronary syndrome (ACS) and treated with percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI); however, they have not been validated specifically in the elderly. METHODS: We calculated the GRACE (Global Registry of Acute Coronary Events) score, the logistic EuroSCORE, the AMIS (Acute Myocardial Infarction Swiss registry) score, and the SYNTAX (Synergy between Percutaneous Coronary Intervention with TAXUS and Cardiac Surgery) score in a consecutive series of 114 patients ≥75 years presenting with ACS and treated with PCI within 24 hours of hospital admission. Patients were stratified according to score tertiles and analysed retrospectively by comparing the lower/mid tertiles as an aggregate group with the higher tertile group. The primary endpoint was 30-day mortality. Secondary end-points were the composite of death and major adverse cardiovascular events (MACE) at 30 days, and 1-year MACE-free survival. Model discrimination ability was assessed using the area under receiver operating characteristic curve (AUC). RESULTS: Thirty-day mortality was higher in the upper tertile compared with the aggregate lower/mid tertiles according to the logistic EuroSCORE (42% vs 5%; odds ratio [OR] = 14, 95% confidence interval [CI] = 4-48; p

Original languageEnglish
Article numberw14049
JournalSwiss Medical Weekly
Volume145
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Feb 6 2015

Keywords

  • Acute coronary syndrome
  • AMIS score
  • EuroSCORE
  • GRACE score
  • PCI
  • SYNTAX

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Medicine(all)

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Comparison of clinical and angiographic prognostic risk scores in elderly patients presenting with acute coronary syndrome and referred for percutaneous coronary intervention'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this