Congenital bilateral absence of the vasa deferentia and related respiratory disease

Aldo F. De Rose, Matteo Giglio, Fabrizio Gallo, Luca Romano, Giorgio Carmignani

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

4 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

In a meaningful proportion of cases, CBAVD has been recognised as a probable consequence of cftr gene mutations. This lead to a further enlargement of the spectrum of clinical pictures due to "cftr deficiency". More recently, the identification of a polymorphism in intron 8 regulating the level of correct cftr transcription, shed new light on the genotype-fenotype correlation of cftr mutations. Unfortunately, little information is still available on the clinical manifestations of CBAVD other than infertility. History, clinical picture, sweat test and genotype were carefully evaluated in a series of 21 patients affected by CBAVD, selected on the basis of otherwise unexplained obstructive azoospermia. History collection was especially addressed to respiratory symptoms. Family history was always negative for CF. Nevertheless, personal history showed respiratory symptoms in 18 cases (86%) 9/21 (43%) patients suffered from chronic sinusitis and one of these had had a pneumothorax. Other 9 (43%) patients had chronic nasal obstruction, due to recurrent nasal poliposis in two cases. Sweat test was clearly abnormal in 15/ 21 (71%) and borderline in the remaining 6 patients (29%). Genetic analysis allowed detection of one mutation in 15/21 patients (71%). Our data show that respiratory symptoms may be present in CBAVD patients, so that CBAVD cannot be merely considered a "genital form" of CF.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)214-216
Number of pages3
JournalArchivio Italiano di Urologia e Andrologia
Volume75
Issue number4
Publication statusPublished - Dec 2003

Fingerprint

Sweat
Mutation
History
Genotype
Azoospermia
Nasal Obstruction
Sinusitis
Pneumothorax
Nose
Introns
Infertility
Genes

Keywords

  • Cystic fibrosis
  • Genetic mutations
  • Vas deferens

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Nephrology
  • Urology

Cite this

De Rose, A. F., Giglio, M., Gallo, F., Romano, L., & Carmignani, G. (2003). Congenital bilateral absence of the vasa deferentia and related respiratory disease. Archivio Italiano di Urologia e Andrologia, 75(4), 214-216.

Congenital bilateral absence of the vasa deferentia and related respiratory disease. / De Rose, Aldo F.; Giglio, Matteo; Gallo, Fabrizio; Romano, Luca; Carmignani, Giorgio.

In: Archivio Italiano di Urologia e Andrologia, Vol. 75, No. 4, 12.2003, p. 214-216.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

De Rose, AF, Giglio, M, Gallo, F, Romano, L & Carmignani, G 2003, 'Congenital bilateral absence of the vasa deferentia and related respiratory disease', Archivio Italiano di Urologia e Andrologia, vol. 75, no. 4, pp. 214-216.
De Rose, Aldo F. ; Giglio, Matteo ; Gallo, Fabrizio ; Romano, Luca ; Carmignani, Giorgio. / Congenital bilateral absence of the vasa deferentia and related respiratory disease. In: Archivio Italiano di Urologia e Andrologia. 2003 ; Vol. 75, No. 4. pp. 214-216.
@article{de941f092cab42bebbbb5e37c6700301,
title = "Congenital bilateral absence of the vasa deferentia and related respiratory disease",
abstract = "In a meaningful proportion of cases, CBAVD has been recognised as a probable consequence of cftr gene mutations. This lead to a further enlargement of the spectrum of clinical pictures due to {"}cftr deficiency{"}. More recently, the identification of a polymorphism in intron 8 regulating the level of correct cftr transcription, shed new light on the genotype-fenotype correlation of cftr mutations. Unfortunately, little information is still available on the clinical manifestations of CBAVD other than infertility. History, clinical picture, sweat test and genotype were carefully evaluated in a series of 21 patients affected by CBAVD, selected on the basis of otherwise unexplained obstructive azoospermia. History collection was especially addressed to respiratory symptoms. Family history was always negative for CF. Nevertheless, personal history showed respiratory symptoms in 18 cases (86{\%}) 9/21 (43{\%}) patients suffered from chronic sinusitis and one of these had had a pneumothorax. Other 9 (43{\%}) patients had chronic nasal obstruction, due to recurrent nasal poliposis in two cases. Sweat test was clearly abnormal in 15/ 21 (71{\%}) and borderline in the remaining 6 patients (29{\%}). Genetic analysis allowed detection of one mutation in 15/21 patients (71{\%}). Our data show that respiratory symptoms may be present in CBAVD patients, so that CBAVD cannot be merely considered a {"}genital form{"} of CF.",
keywords = "Cystic fibrosis, Genetic mutations, Vas deferens",
author = "{De Rose}, {Aldo F.} and Matteo Giglio and Fabrizio Gallo and Luca Romano and Giorgio Carmignani",
year = "2003",
month = "12",
language = "English",
volume = "75",
pages = "214--216",
journal = "Archivio Italiano di Urologia Nefrologia Andrologia",
issn = "1120-8538",
publisher = "Edizioni Scripta Manent s.n.c.",
number = "4",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Congenital bilateral absence of the vasa deferentia and related respiratory disease

AU - De Rose, Aldo F.

AU - Giglio, Matteo

AU - Gallo, Fabrizio

AU - Romano, Luca

AU - Carmignani, Giorgio

PY - 2003/12

Y1 - 2003/12

N2 - In a meaningful proportion of cases, CBAVD has been recognised as a probable consequence of cftr gene mutations. This lead to a further enlargement of the spectrum of clinical pictures due to "cftr deficiency". More recently, the identification of a polymorphism in intron 8 regulating the level of correct cftr transcription, shed new light on the genotype-fenotype correlation of cftr mutations. Unfortunately, little information is still available on the clinical manifestations of CBAVD other than infertility. History, clinical picture, sweat test and genotype were carefully evaluated in a series of 21 patients affected by CBAVD, selected on the basis of otherwise unexplained obstructive azoospermia. History collection was especially addressed to respiratory symptoms. Family history was always negative for CF. Nevertheless, personal history showed respiratory symptoms in 18 cases (86%) 9/21 (43%) patients suffered from chronic sinusitis and one of these had had a pneumothorax. Other 9 (43%) patients had chronic nasal obstruction, due to recurrent nasal poliposis in two cases. Sweat test was clearly abnormal in 15/ 21 (71%) and borderline in the remaining 6 patients (29%). Genetic analysis allowed detection of one mutation in 15/21 patients (71%). Our data show that respiratory symptoms may be present in CBAVD patients, so that CBAVD cannot be merely considered a "genital form" of CF.

AB - In a meaningful proportion of cases, CBAVD has been recognised as a probable consequence of cftr gene mutations. This lead to a further enlargement of the spectrum of clinical pictures due to "cftr deficiency". More recently, the identification of a polymorphism in intron 8 regulating the level of correct cftr transcription, shed new light on the genotype-fenotype correlation of cftr mutations. Unfortunately, little information is still available on the clinical manifestations of CBAVD other than infertility. History, clinical picture, sweat test and genotype were carefully evaluated in a series of 21 patients affected by CBAVD, selected on the basis of otherwise unexplained obstructive azoospermia. History collection was especially addressed to respiratory symptoms. Family history was always negative for CF. Nevertheless, personal history showed respiratory symptoms in 18 cases (86%) 9/21 (43%) patients suffered from chronic sinusitis and one of these had had a pneumothorax. Other 9 (43%) patients had chronic nasal obstruction, due to recurrent nasal poliposis in two cases. Sweat test was clearly abnormal in 15/ 21 (71%) and borderline in the remaining 6 patients (29%). Genetic analysis allowed detection of one mutation in 15/21 patients (71%). Our data show that respiratory symptoms may be present in CBAVD patients, so that CBAVD cannot be merely considered a "genital form" of CF.

KW - Cystic fibrosis

KW - Genetic mutations

KW - Vas deferens

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=1642471886&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=1642471886&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

VL - 75

SP - 214

EP - 216

JO - Archivio Italiano di Urologia Nefrologia Andrologia

JF - Archivio Italiano di Urologia Nefrologia Andrologia

SN - 1120-8538

IS - 4

ER -