Conservative management of thumb carpometacarpal osteoarthritis: An Italian survey of current clinical practice

Jorge Hugo Villafañe, Kristin Valdes, Virginia O'Brien, Monica Seves, Raquel Cantero-Téllez, Pedro Berjano

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Objective: The purpose of this study was to elucidate expert opinion on the conservative treatment of thumb carpometacarpal (CMC) joint osteoarthritis (OA). Methods: A 21-item survey to determine the practice patterns of Italian hand therapists who treat arthritis of the CMC joint was developed and distributed through a professional online survey service to assure confidentiality and anonymity. Results: Of the respondents, 80.8% were physical therapists; the remaining 19.2% were occupational therapists. 84.6% of the specialists who make decisions regarding patient pain management education. Conclusions: There is variability in the knowledge and practice patterns of Italian hand therapists relating to conservative management of thumb CMC OA.

Original languageEnglish
JournalJournal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies
DOIs
Publication statusAccepted/In press - Oct 1 2016

Keywords

  • Carpometacarpal
  • Osteoarthritis
  • Survey
  • Thumb

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Complementary and Manual Therapy
  • Physical Therapy, Sports Therapy and Rehabilitation
  • Rehabilitation
  • Complementary and alternative medicine

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Conservative management of thumb carpometacarpal osteoarthritis: An Italian survey of current clinical practice'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this