Conservative management of thumb carpometacarpal osteoarthritis: An Italian survey of current clinical practice

Jorge Hugo Villafañe, Kristin Valdes, Virginia O'Brien, Monica Seves, Raquel Cantero-Téllez, Pedro Berjano

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

OBJECTIVE: The purpose of this study was to elucidate expert opinion on the conservative treatment of thumb carpometacarpal (CMC) joint osteoarthritis (OA).

METHODS: A 21-item survey to determine the practice patterns of Italian hand therapists who treat arthritis of the CMC joint was developed and distributed through a professional online survey service to assure confidentiality and anonymity.

RESULTS: Of the respondents, 80.8% were physical therapists; the remaining 19.2% were occupational therapists. 84.6% of the specialists who make decisions regarding patient pain management education.

CONCLUSIONS: There is variability in the knowledge and practice patterns of Italian hand therapists relating to conservative management of thumb CMC OA.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)37-39
Number of pages3
JournalJournal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies
Volume22
Issue number1
Early online dateMar 28 2017
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Jan 2018

Keywords

  • Journal Article

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Conservative management of thumb carpometacarpal osteoarthritis: An Italian survey of current clinical practice'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this