We report the case of a patient with cystic fibrosis (CF) presenting with a full-blown cytokine storm syndrome probably triggered by infection. This condition is rare and the diagnosis can be particularly difficult in patients with a complex chronic disease such as CF. However, timely recognition and appropriate treatment in the early stages are key to avoiding a potentially fatal course.
- hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis
- macrophage activation syndrome
- multisystem inflammatory syndrome related to SARS CoV2
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Pediatrics, Perinatology, and Child Health
- Pulmonary and Respiratory Medicine