Daclizumab as useful treatment in refractory acute GVHD

A paediatric experience

M. Miano, D. Cuzzubbo, P. Terranova, S. Giardino, E. Lanino, G. Morreale, E. Castagnola, G. Dini, M. Faraci

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

26 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

GVHD remains a serious complication after allogeneic SCT. We describe 13 paediatric patients treated with daclizumab for refractory acute GVHD (aGVHD). After 30 days of daclizumab administration, all patients with cutaneous aGVHD reached complete response. Among patients with gastrointestinal disease, 50 and 30% had complete and partial response, respectively, whereas 11 and 55% of patients with hepatic aGVHD achieved CR and PR, respectively. Overall, complete (46%) and partial (46%) responses were demonstrated in 92% of our patients, whereas the remaining patients (8%) were nonresponders. No life-threatening infectious episodes were recorded within 100 days from transplant in this selected group of paediatric patients. Overall 46% of patients were alive at a median of 461 days from SCT, but 50% of them developed chronic GVHD. In our experience, daclizumab proved to be a useful and safe treatment for refractory and steroid-resistant/dependent aGVHD, in particular for cutaneous and low-moderate intestinal involvement.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)423-427
Number of pages5
JournalBone Marrow Transplantation
Volume43
Issue number5
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 2009

Fingerprint

Pediatrics
Therapeutics
Skin
daclizumab
Gastrointestinal Diseases
Steroids
Transplants
Liver

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Hematology
  • Transplantation

Cite this

Daclizumab as useful treatment in refractory acute GVHD : A paediatric experience. / Miano, M.; Cuzzubbo, D.; Terranova, P.; Giardino, S.; Lanino, E.; Morreale, G.; Castagnola, E.; Dini, G.; Faraci, M.

In: Bone Marrow Transplantation, Vol. 43, No. 5, 2009, p. 423-427.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{9057b89712b3412c855716fa4539caeb,
title = "Daclizumab as useful treatment in refractory acute GVHD: A paediatric experience",
abstract = "GVHD remains a serious complication after allogeneic SCT. We describe 13 paediatric patients treated with daclizumab for refractory acute GVHD (aGVHD). After 30 days of daclizumab administration, all patients with cutaneous aGVHD reached complete response. Among patients with gastrointestinal disease, 50 and 30{\%} had complete and partial response, respectively, whereas 11 and 55{\%} of patients with hepatic aGVHD achieved CR and PR, respectively. Overall, complete (46{\%}) and partial (46{\%}) responses were demonstrated in 92{\%} of our patients, whereas the remaining patients (8{\%}) were nonresponders. No life-threatening infectious episodes were recorded within 100 days from transplant in this selected group of paediatric patients. Overall 46{\%} of patients were alive at a median of 461 days from SCT, but 50{\%} of them developed chronic GVHD. In our experience, daclizumab proved to be a useful and safe treatment for refractory and steroid-resistant/dependent aGVHD, in particular for cutaneous and low-moderate intestinal involvement.",
author = "M. Miano and D. Cuzzubbo and P. Terranova and S. Giardino and E. Lanino and G. Morreale and E. Castagnola and G. Dini and M. Faraci",
year = "2009",
doi = "10.1038/bmt.2008.331",
language = "English",
volume = "43",
pages = "423--427",
journal = "Bone Marrow Transplantation",
issn = "0268-3369",
publisher = "Nature Publishing Group",
number = "5",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Daclizumab as useful treatment in refractory acute GVHD

T2 - A paediatric experience

AU - Miano, M.

AU - Cuzzubbo, D.

AU - Terranova, P.

AU - Giardino, S.

AU - Lanino, E.

AU - Morreale, G.

AU - Castagnola, E.

AU - Dini, G.

AU - Faraci, M.

PY - 2009

Y1 - 2009

N2 - GVHD remains a serious complication after allogeneic SCT. We describe 13 paediatric patients treated with daclizumab for refractory acute GVHD (aGVHD). After 30 days of daclizumab administration, all patients with cutaneous aGVHD reached complete response. Among patients with gastrointestinal disease, 50 and 30% had complete and partial response, respectively, whereas 11 and 55% of patients with hepatic aGVHD achieved CR and PR, respectively. Overall, complete (46%) and partial (46%) responses were demonstrated in 92% of our patients, whereas the remaining patients (8%) were nonresponders. No life-threatening infectious episodes were recorded within 100 days from transplant in this selected group of paediatric patients. Overall 46% of patients were alive at a median of 461 days from SCT, but 50% of them developed chronic GVHD. In our experience, daclizumab proved to be a useful and safe treatment for refractory and steroid-resistant/dependent aGVHD, in particular for cutaneous and low-moderate intestinal involvement.

AB - GVHD remains a serious complication after allogeneic SCT. We describe 13 paediatric patients treated with daclizumab for refractory acute GVHD (aGVHD). After 30 days of daclizumab administration, all patients with cutaneous aGVHD reached complete response. Among patients with gastrointestinal disease, 50 and 30% had complete and partial response, respectively, whereas 11 and 55% of patients with hepatic aGVHD achieved CR and PR, respectively. Overall, complete (46%) and partial (46%) responses were demonstrated in 92% of our patients, whereas the remaining patients (8%) were nonresponders. No life-threatening infectious episodes were recorded within 100 days from transplant in this selected group of paediatric patients. Overall 46% of patients were alive at a median of 461 days from SCT, but 50% of them developed chronic GVHD. In our experience, daclizumab proved to be a useful and safe treatment for refractory and steroid-resistant/dependent aGVHD, in particular for cutaneous and low-moderate intestinal involvement.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=62549109110&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=62549109110&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1038/bmt.2008.331

DO - 10.1038/bmt.2008.331

M3 - Article

VL - 43

SP - 423

EP - 427

JO - Bone Marrow Transplantation

JF - Bone Marrow Transplantation

SN - 0268-3369

IS - 5

ER -