Dual-Anchor Cog Threads in Fat Grafting Breast Augmentation: A Novel Scarless Method for Defining Breast Footprint and Enhancing Shape

Giuseppe Visconti, Marzia Salgarello

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review


BACKGROUND: Modern fat grafting breast augmentation allows successful breast enhancement. However, there is no fine control of breast footprint, shape, and inframammary fold. The purpose of this article is to report a novel scarless technique and to evaluate its beneficial effect by retrospectively reviewing case-control consecutive data from 51 patients.

METHODS: Fifty-one consecutive patients undergoing cosmetic breast augmentation with fat only between September of 2012 and August of 2016 were retrospectively reviewed. In the first 29 cases (56 percent), the authors did not use threads (group A, control group), whereas in the remaining 22 cases (44 percent), the authors used dual-anchor cog threads (group B, case group). Breast shape analysis was performed separately by a blinded group of plastic surgeons and by the attending surgeon using a standardized evaluation method. The BREAST-Q was used to study patient satisfaction. The Mann-Whitney U and chi-square tests were used for categorical variables, and the independent-samples t test was used for continuous variables.

RESULTS: No significant difference in mean graft take was found (group A, 71.2 percent; group B, 71.6 percent; p < 0.05). Group B showed a significantly higher rating than group A for lower pole profile, inframammary fold, and lateral footprint definition. No major postoperative complications were experienced in either group. In group B, no thread-related complications were experienced.

CONCLUSIONS: The dual-anchor thread suture is a novel, effective, simple, reliable, safe, and scarless method of improving breast shape in fat grafting breast augmentation. Larger series are needed to further confirm the authors' findings.


Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1039-1049
Number of pages11
JournalPlastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Issue number4
Publication statusPublished - Apr 2019
Externally publishedYes


  • Adipose Tissue/transplantation
  • Adult
  • Breast/surgery
  • Case-Control Studies
  • Cicatrix/prevention & control
  • Esthetics
  • Female
  • Humans
  • Mammaplasty/methods
  • Middle Aged
  • Patient Satisfaction
  • Postoperative Complications
  • Retrospective Studies
  • Suture Techniques
  • Transplantation, Autologous
  • Young Adult


Dive into the research topics of 'Dual-Anchor Cog Threads in Fat Grafting Breast Augmentation: A Novel Scarless Method for Defining Breast Footprint and Enhancing Shape'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this