Early stage of behavioral variant frontotemporal dementia

Clinical and neuroimaging correlates

Barbara Borroni, Maura Cosseddu, Andrea Pilotto, Enrico Premi, Silvana Archetti, Roberto Gasparotti, Stefano Cappa, Alessandro Padovani

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

10 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

The early stages of behavioral variant frontotemporal dementia (bvFTD) are still not completely characterized. In a consecutive series of patients with probable bvFTD diagnosis confirmed by follow-up, we retrospectively evaluated the features at onset. Patients were reclassified according to presenting features and current diagnostic criteria into probable and possible bvFTD. The term "pre-bvFTD" was adopted for patients with cognitive and/or behavioral impairment not fulfilling bvFTD criteria and no deficits in activities of daily living. One hundred ninety-four subjects were included; at first visit, 70% (n = 136) patients were already classified as probable bvFTD. Of the remaining 30% (n = 58), 60% fulfilled criteria for possible bvFTD, while 40% did not, and were classified as pre-FTD. The neuropsychological pattern in possible bvFTD and pre-bvFTD was similar, although possible bvFTD showed more behavioral abnormalities. Pre-bvFTD subjects had frontotemporal gray matter atrophy, although less extensive than possible bvFTD. Conclusively, most bvFTD patients fulfill current diagnostic criteria at first admission, whereas a relatively small group is characterized by mild behavioral and/or cognitive abnormalities in spite of frontotemporal gray matter atrophy. Our preliminary findings will require a validation in prospective studies involving larger samples of patients.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)3108-3115
Number of pages8
JournalNeurobiology of Aging
Volume36
Issue number11
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Nov 1 2015

Fingerprint

Frontotemporal Dementia
Neuroimaging
Atrophy
Activities of Daily Living

Keywords

  • Behavioral impairment
  • Behavioral variant frontotemporal dementia (bvFTD)
  • Frontotemporal dementia
  • Mild cognitive impairment (MCI)
  • MRI
  • Pre-bvFTD
  • Prodromal

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Clinical Neurology
  • Neuroscience(all)
  • Ageing
  • Developmental Biology
  • Geriatrics and Gerontology

Cite this

Borroni, B., Cosseddu, M., Pilotto, A., Premi, E., Archetti, S., Gasparotti, R., ... Padovani, A. (2015). Early stage of behavioral variant frontotemporal dementia: Clinical and neuroimaging correlates. Neurobiology of Aging, 36(11), 3108-3115. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neurobiolaging.2015.07.019

Early stage of behavioral variant frontotemporal dementia : Clinical and neuroimaging correlates. / Borroni, Barbara; Cosseddu, Maura; Pilotto, Andrea; Premi, Enrico; Archetti, Silvana; Gasparotti, Roberto; Cappa, Stefano; Padovani, Alessandro.

In: Neurobiology of Aging, Vol. 36, No. 11, 01.11.2015, p. 3108-3115.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Borroni, B, Cosseddu, M, Pilotto, A, Premi, E, Archetti, S, Gasparotti, R, Cappa, S & Padovani, A 2015, 'Early stage of behavioral variant frontotemporal dementia: Clinical and neuroimaging correlates', Neurobiology of Aging, vol. 36, no. 11, pp. 3108-3115. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neurobiolaging.2015.07.019
Borroni, Barbara ; Cosseddu, Maura ; Pilotto, Andrea ; Premi, Enrico ; Archetti, Silvana ; Gasparotti, Roberto ; Cappa, Stefano ; Padovani, Alessandro. / Early stage of behavioral variant frontotemporal dementia : Clinical and neuroimaging correlates. In: Neurobiology of Aging. 2015 ; Vol. 36, No. 11. pp. 3108-3115.
@article{fca4ff5992b44303b934792afea63b98,
title = "Early stage of behavioral variant frontotemporal dementia: Clinical and neuroimaging correlates",
abstract = "The early stages of behavioral variant frontotemporal dementia (bvFTD) are still not completely characterized. In a consecutive series of patients with probable bvFTD diagnosis confirmed by follow-up, we retrospectively evaluated the features at onset. Patients were reclassified according to presenting features and current diagnostic criteria into probable and possible bvFTD. The term {"}pre-bvFTD{"} was adopted for patients with cognitive and/or behavioral impairment not fulfilling bvFTD criteria and no deficits in activities of daily living. One hundred ninety-four subjects were included; at first visit, 70{\%} (n = 136) patients were already classified as probable bvFTD. Of the remaining 30{\%} (n = 58), 60{\%} fulfilled criteria for possible bvFTD, while 40{\%} did not, and were classified as pre-FTD. The neuropsychological pattern in possible bvFTD and pre-bvFTD was similar, although possible bvFTD showed more behavioral abnormalities. Pre-bvFTD subjects had frontotemporal gray matter atrophy, although less extensive than possible bvFTD. Conclusively, most bvFTD patients fulfill current diagnostic criteria at first admission, whereas a relatively small group is characterized by mild behavioral and/or cognitive abnormalities in spite of frontotemporal gray matter atrophy. Our preliminary findings will require a validation in prospective studies involving larger samples of patients.",
keywords = "Behavioral impairment, Behavioral variant frontotemporal dementia (bvFTD), Frontotemporal dementia, Mild cognitive impairment (MCI), MRI, Pre-bvFTD, Prodromal",
author = "Barbara Borroni and Maura Cosseddu and Andrea Pilotto and Enrico Premi and Silvana Archetti and Roberto Gasparotti and Stefano Cappa and Alessandro Padovani",
year = "2015",
month = "11",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1016/j.neurobiolaging.2015.07.019",
language = "English",
volume = "36",
pages = "3108--3115",
journal = "Neurobiology of Aging",
issn = "0197-4580",
publisher = "Elsevier Inc.",
number = "11",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Early stage of behavioral variant frontotemporal dementia

T2 - Clinical and neuroimaging correlates

AU - Borroni, Barbara

AU - Cosseddu, Maura

AU - Pilotto, Andrea

AU - Premi, Enrico

AU - Archetti, Silvana

AU - Gasparotti, Roberto

AU - Cappa, Stefano

AU - Padovani, Alessandro

PY - 2015/11/1

Y1 - 2015/11/1

N2 - The early stages of behavioral variant frontotemporal dementia (bvFTD) are still not completely characterized. In a consecutive series of patients with probable bvFTD diagnosis confirmed by follow-up, we retrospectively evaluated the features at onset. Patients were reclassified according to presenting features and current diagnostic criteria into probable and possible bvFTD. The term "pre-bvFTD" was adopted for patients with cognitive and/or behavioral impairment not fulfilling bvFTD criteria and no deficits in activities of daily living. One hundred ninety-four subjects were included; at first visit, 70% (n = 136) patients were already classified as probable bvFTD. Of the remaining 30% (n = 58), 60% fulfilled criteria for possible bvFTD, while 40% did not, and were classified as pre-FTD. The neuropsychological pattern in possible bvFTD and pre-bvFTD was similar, although possible bvFTD showed more behavioral abnormalities. Pre-bvFTD subjects had frontotemporal gray matter atrophy, although less extensive than possible bvFTD. Conclusively, most bvFTD patients fulfill current diagnostic criteria at first admission, whereas a relatively small group is characterized by mild behavioral and/or cognitive abnormalities in spite of frontotemporal gray matter atrophy. Our preliminary findings will require a validation in prospective studies involving larger samples of patients.

AB - The early stages of behavioral variant frontotemporal dementia (bvFTD) are still not completely characterized. In a consecutive series of patients with probable bvFTD diagnosis confirmed by follow-up, we retrospectively evaluated the features at onset. Patients were reclassified according to presenting features and current diagnostic criteria into probable and possible bvFTD. The term "pre-bvFTD" was adopted for patients with cognitive and/or behavioral impairment not fulfilling bvFTD criteria and no deficits in activities of daily living. One hundred ninety-four subjects were included; at first visit, 70% (n = 136) patients were already classified as probable bvFTD. Of the remaining 30% (n = 58), 60% fulfilled criteria for possible bvFTD, while 40% did not, and were classified as pre-FTD. The neuropsychological pattern in possible bvFTD and pre-bvFTD was similar, although possible bvFTD showed more behavioral abnormalities. Pre-bvFTD subjects had frontotemporal gray matter atrophy, although less extensive than possible bvFTD. Conclusively, most bvFTD patients fulfill current diagnostic criteria at first admission, whereas a relatively small group is characterized by mild behavioral and/or cognitive abnormalities in spite of frontotemporal gray matter atrophy. Our preliminary findings will require a validation in prospective studies involving larger samples of patients.

KW - Behavioral impairment

KW - Behavioral variant frontotemporal dementia (bvFTD)

KW - Frontotemporal dementia

KW - Mild cognitive impairment (MCI)

KW - MRI

KW - Pre-bvFTD

KW - Prodromal

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84947017578&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84947017578&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1016/j.neurobiolaging.2015.07.019

DO - 10.1016/j.neurobiolaging.2015.07.019

M3 - Article

VL - 36

SP - 3108

EP - 3115

JO - Neurobiology of Aging

JF - Neurobiology of Aging

SN - 0197-4580

IS - 11

ER -