Efficacy of the association of folinic acid and 5-fluorouracil alone versus folinic acid and 5-fluorouracil plus 4-epidoxorubicin in the treatment of advanced gastric carcinoma

G. Colucci, F. Giotta, E. Maiello, R. A. Cifarelli, S. Leo, F. Giuliani, G. Pezzella, A. Pedicini, V. Valori

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

A total of 71 patients with advanced gastric carcinoma were randomized to receive either folinic acid + fluorouracil (arm A) or the same combination with the addition of 4-epidoxorubicin (arm B). Of the 62 evaluable patients (31 in both arms), six patients achieved a CR (10%) and 16 a PR (25.5%) with an overall response rate of 35.5% (29% in arm A and 42% in arm B; p = .28). Median duration of response was 6 and 7 months for arm A and B, respectively (p = .6). Responder patients showed a significantly better median survival duration than nonresponders (p = .01); in arm B the median survival duration was 16 months for responder patients in contrast to 7 months for nonresponders (p = .004). Toxicity was mild without significant differences between the two groups. There was one death due to hematological toxicity (arm A). The EPI-FA-FU combination appears effective and well tolerated with the additional advantage of being able to be administered in the outpatient clinic.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)519-524
Number of pages6
JournalAmerican Journal of Clinical Oncology: Cancer Clinical Trials
Volume18
Issue number6
Publication statusPublished - 1995

Keywords

  • 5-Fluorouracil
  • Folinic acid
  • Gastric cancer

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Oncology
  • Cancer Research

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Efficacy of the association of folinic acid and 5-fluorouracil alone versus folinic acid and 5-fluorouracil plus 4-epidoxorubicin in the treatment of advanced gastric carcinoma'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this