Encainide in paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia: Long term clinical effects

M. Chimienti, M. L. Bergolis, C. Klersy, M. Moizi, J. A. Salerno

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

The clinical effects and safety of oral encainide were evaluated in 29 patients with paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia. During a control electrophysiologic study, inducibility and mechanism of tachycardia were determined: 14 patients had atrioventricular (AV) node reentrant tachycardia (AVNRT); 15 had AV reentrant tachycardia (AVRT) involving either a patent (9 patients) or a latent (6 patients) accessory pathway. The mean tachycardia rate was 186 ± 25 beats/min. All patients underwent a repeat electrophysiologic study on treatment with encainide (75-150 mg daily). Tachycardia was reinduced in 8 patients (28%): 7 with AVRT (47%) and only 1 with AVNRT (7%). The tachycardia rate in these patients decreased from 194 ± 21 to 152 ± 26 beats/min (p <0.001). The mean plasma concentrations of encainide and its metabolites O-demethyl-encainide and 3-methoxy-O-demethyl-encainide were 108 ± 219, 167 ± 109, and 120 ± 86 ng/ml, respectively. Three poor metabolizers (10.3%) were found in this series. All patients but one were discharged on encainide at the same dose tested and followed-up for 32 ± 18 months; in 3 patients the dose was subsequently reduced, so the overall mean dose decreased to 114 ± 39 mg daily. Only 3 patients (11%) had less frequent, short-lasting and better tolerated recurrences of tachycardia. The other 25 patients (89%) were totally or almost totally protected by encainide (7 patients with only one short-lasting recurrence). There were only 4 patients complaining of minor side effects: 1 transient hand tremor and 3 mildly blurred vision. In 2 of the latter the symptom disappeared after dose reduction; the last patient refused a dose reduction and was dropped out. We conclude that encainide is extremely effective in preventing paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia during a prolonged follow-up. When the drug is used at low dosages the incidence of side effects is negligible.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)537-544
Number of pages8
JournalNew Trends in Arrhythmias
Volume8
Issue number3
Publication statusPublished - 1992

Fingerprint

Encainide
Paroxysmal Tachycardia
Supraventricular Tachycardia
Tachycardia
Atrioventricular Node
Recurrence

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Cardiology and Cardiovascular Medicine

Cite this

Chimienti, M., Bergolis, M. L., Klersy, C., Moizi, M., & Salerno, J. A. (1992). Encainide in paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia: Long term clinical effects. New Trends in Arrhythmias, 8(3), 537-544.

Encainide in paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia : Long term clinical effects. / Chimienti, M.; Bergolis, M. L.; Klersy, C.; Moizi, M.; Salerno, J. A.

In: New Trends in Arrhythmias, Vol. 8, No. 3, 1992, p. 537-544.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Chimienti, M, Bergolis, ML, Klersy, C, Moizi, M & Salerno, JA 1992, 'Encainide in paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia: Long term clinical effects', New Trends in Arrhythmias, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 537-544.
Chimienti, M. ; Bergolis, M. L. ; Klersy, C. ; Moizi, M. ; Salerno, J. A. / Encainide in paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia : Long term clinical effects. In: New Trends in Arrhythmias. 1992 ; Vol. 8, No. 3. pp. 537-544.
@article{a323c7b6fc8440dc967c4901eb1fe880,
title = "Encainide in paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia: Long term clinical effects",
abstract = "The clinical effects and safety of oral encainide were evaluated in 29 patients with paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia. During a control electrophysiologic study, inducibility and mechanism of tachycardia were determined: 14 patients had atrioventricular (AV) node reentrant tachycardia (AVNRT); 15 had AV reentrant tachycardia (AVRT) involving either a patent (9 patients) or a latent (6 patients) accessory pathway. The mean tachycardia rate was 186 ± 25 beats/min. All patients underwent a repeat electrophysiologic study on treatment with encainide (75-150 mg daily). Tachycardia was reinduced in 8 patients (28{\%}): 7 with AVRT (47{\%}) and only 1 with AVNRT (7{\%}). The tachycardia rate in these patients decreased from 194 ± 21 to 152 ± 26 beats/min (p <0.001). The mean plasma concentrations of encainide and its metabolites O-demethyl-encainide and 3-methoxy-O-demethyl-encainide were 108 ± 219, 167 ± 109, and 120 ± 86 ng/ml, respectively. Three poor metabolizers (10.3{\%}) were found in this series. All patients but one were discharged on encainide at the same dose tested and followed-up for 32 ± 18 months; in 3 patients the dose was subsequently reduced, so the overall mean dose decreased to 114 ± 39 mg daily. Only 3 patients (11{\%}) had less frequent, short-lasting and better tolerated recurrences of tachycardia. The other 25 patients (89{\%}) were totally or almost totally protected by encainide (7 patients with only one short-lasting recurrence). There were only 4 patients complaining of minor side effects: 1 transient hand tremor and 3 mildly blurred vision. In 2 of the latter the symptom disappeared after dose reduction; the last patient refused a dose reduction and was dropped out. We conclude that encainide is extremely effective in preventing paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia during a prolonged follow-up. When the drug is used at low dosages the incidence of side effects is negligible.",
author = "M. Chimienti and Bergolis, {M. L.} and C. Klersy and M. Moizi and Salerno, {J. A.}",
year = "1992",
language = "English",
volume = "8",
pages = "537--544",
journal = "New Trends in Arrhythmias",
issn = "0393-5302",
number = "3",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Encainide in paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia

T2 - Long term clinical effects

AU - Chimienti, M.

AU - Bergolis, M. L.

AU - Klersy, C.

AU - Moizi, M.

AU - Salerno, J. A.

PY - 1992

Y1 - 1992

N2 - The clinical effects and safety of oral encainide were evaluated in 29 patients with paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia. During a control electrophysiologic study, inducibility and mechanism of tachycardia were determined: 14 patients had atrioventricular (AV) node reentrant tachycardia (AVNRT); 15 had AV reentrant tachycardia (AVRT) involving either a patent (9 patients) or a latent (6 patients) accessory pathway. The mean tachycardia rate was 186 ± 25 beats/min. All patients underwent a repeat electrophysiologic study on treatment with encainide (75-150 mg daily). Tachycardia was reinduced in 8 patients (28%): 7 with AVRT (47%) and only 1 with AVNRT (7%). The tachycardia rate in these patients decreased from 194 ± 21 to 152 ± 26 beats/min (p <0.001). The mean plasma concentrations of encainide and its metabolites O-demethyl-encainide and 3-methoxy-O-demethyl-encainide were 108 ± 219, 167 ± 109, and 120 ± 86 ng/ml, respectively. Three poor metabolizers (10.3%) were found in this series. All patients but one were discharged on encainide at the same dose tested and followed-up for 32 ± 18 months; in 3 patients the dose was subsequently reduced, so the overall mean dose decreased to 114 ± 39 mg daily. Only 3 patients (11%) had less frequent, short-lasting and better tolerated recurrences of tachycardia. The other 25 patients (89%) were totally or almost totally protected by encainide (7 patients with only one short-lasting recurrence). There were only 4 patients complaining of minor side effects: 1 transient hand tremor and 3 mildly blurred vision. In 2 of the latter the symptom disappeared after dose reduction; the last patient refused a dose reduction and was dropped out. We conclude that encainide is extremely effective in preventing paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia during a prolonged follow-up. When the drug is used at low dosages the incidence of side effects is negligible.

AB - The clinical effects and safety of oral encainide were evaluated in 29 patients with paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia. During a control electrophysiologic study, inducibility and mechanism of tachycardia were determined: 14 patients had atrioventricular (AV) node reentrant tachycardia (AVNRT); 15 had AV reentrant tachycardia (AVRT) involving either a patent (9 patients) or a latent (6 patients) accessory pathway. The mean tachycardia rate was 186 ± 25 beats/min. All patients underwent a repeat electrophysiologic study on treatment with encainide (75-150 mg daily). Tachycardia was reinduced in 8 patients (28%): 7 with AVRT (47%) and only 1 with AVNRT (7%). The tachycardia rate in these patients decreased from 194 ± 21 to 152 ± 26 beats/min (p <0.001). The mean plasma concentrations of encainide and its metabolites O-demethyl-encainide and 3-methoxy-O-demethyl-encainide were 108 ± 219, 167 ± 109, and 120 ± 86 ng/ml, respectively. Three poor metabolizers (10.3%) were found in this series. All patients but one were discharged on encainide at the same dose tested and followed-up for 32 ± 18 months; in 3 patients the dose was subsequently reduced, so the overall mean dose decreased to 114 ± 39 mg daily. Only 3 patients (11%) had less frequent, short-lasting and better tolerated recurrences of tachycardia. The other 25 patients (89%) were totally or almost totally protected by encainide (7 patients with only one short-lasting recurrence). There were only 4 patients complaining of minor side effects: 1 transient hand tremor and 3 mildly blurred vision. In 2 of the latter the symptom disappeared after dose reduction; the last patient refused a dose reduction and was dropped out. We conclude that encainide is extremely effective in preventing paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia during a prolonged follow-up. When the drug is used at low dosages the incidence of side effects is negligible.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0026478048&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0026478048&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

AN - SCOPUS:0026478048

VL - 8

SP - 537

EP - 544

JO - New Trends in Arrhythmias

JF - New Trends in Arrhythmias

SN - 0393-5302

IS - 3

ER -