Epidemiological aspects of basketball injuries in young players

F. Benazzo, G. Zanon, J. M. Moreno Hidalgo, F. Rivolta, G. Bonzanini

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

Basketball is one of the most frequently practised juvenile sports. Specific studies of its injury incidence, however, are lacking in the literature. This paper illustrates the data covering a period of 8 months (2000-2001 season) obtained from a questionnaire filled in by 488 male and female players aged 12-17 belonging to 34 teams. The 99 accidents (78 M, 21 F) recorded represented a percentage of 0.20% per athlete (0.208% M, 0.197% F). They were nearly all slight (95.9%). No significant consequences followed the remaining 4.1% for which hospitalisation was necessary, whereas more than one recurrence of a tibiotarsal sprain figured among the slight accidents.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)170-172
Number of pages3
JournalEuropean Journal of Sports Traumatology and Related Research
Volume23
Issue number4
Publication statusPublished - Dec 2001

Fingerprint

Basketball
Accidents
Sprains and Strains
Wounds and Injuries
Athletes
Sports
Hospitalization
Recurrence
Incidence
Surveys and Questionnaires

Keywords

  • Basketball
  • Epidemiology
  • Injuries

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Orthopedics and Sports Medicine
  • Surgery
  • Physical Therapy, Sports Therapy and Rehabilitation

Cite this

Epidemiological aspects of basketball injuries in young players. / Benazzo, F.; Zanon, G.; Moreno Hidalgo, J. M.; Rivolta, F.; Bonzanini, G.

In: European Journal of Sports Traumatology and Related Research, Vol. 23, No. 4, 12.2001, p. 170-172.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Benazzo, F. ; Zanon, G. ; Moreno Hidalgo, J. M. ; Rivolta, F. ; Bonzanini, G. / Epidemiological aspects of basketball injuries in young players. In: European Journal of Sports Traumatology and Related Research. 2001 ; Vol. 23, No. 4. pp. 170-172.
@article{35c9e6688d4147d7bb8f999dc92cc9fe,
title = "Epidemiological aspects of basketball injuries in young players",
abstract = "Basketball is one of the most frequently practised juvenile sports. Specific studies of its injury incidence, however, are lacking in the literature. This paper illustrates the data covering a period of 8 months (2000-2001 season) obtained from a questionnaire filled in by 488 male and female players aged 12-17 belonging to 34 teams. The 99 accidents (78 M, 21 F) recorded represented a percentage of 0.20{\%} per athlete (0.208{\%} M, 0.197{\%} F). They were nearly all slight (95.9{\%}). No significant consequences followed the remaining 4.1{\%} for which hospitalisation was necessary, whereas more than one recurrence of a tibiotarsal sprain figured among the slight accidents.",
keywords = "Basketball, Epidemiology, Injuries",
author = "F. Benazzo and G. Zanon and {Moreno Hidalgo}, {J. M.} and F. Rivolta and G. Bonzanini",
year = "2001",
month = "12",
language = "English",
volume = "23",
pages = "170--172",
journal = "European Journal of Sports Traumatology and Related Research",
issn = "1592-3894",
publisher = "Editrice Kurtis s.r.l.",
number = "4",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Epidemiological aspects of basketball injuries in young players

AU - Benazzo, F.

AU - Zanon, G.

AU - Moreno Hidalgo, J. M.

AU - Rivolta, F.

AU - Bonzanini, G.

PY - 2001/12

Y1 - 2001/12

N2 - Basketball is one of the most frequently practised juvenile sports. Specific studies of its injury incidence, however, are lacking in the literature. This paper illustrates the data covering a period of 8 months (2000-2001 season) obtained from a questionnaire filled in by 488 male and female players aged 12-17 belonging to 34 teams. The 99 accidents (78 M, 21 F) recorded represented a percentage of 0.20% per athlete (0.208% M, 0.197% F). They were nearly all slight (95.9%). No significant consequences followed the remaining 4.1% for which hospitalisation was necessary, whereas more than one recurrence of a tibiotarsal sprain figured among the slight accidents.

AB - Basketball is one of the most frequently practised juvenile sports. Specific studies of its injury incidence, however, are lacking in the literature. This paper illustrates the data covering a period of 8 months (2000-2001 season) obtained from a questionnaire filled in by 488 male and female players aged 12-17 belonging to 34 teams. The 99 accidents (78 M, 21 F) recorded represented a percentage of 0.20% per athlete (0.208% M, 0.197% F). They were nearly all slight (95.9%). No significant consequences followed the remaining 4.1% for which hospitalisation was necessary, whereas more than one recurrence of a tibiotarsal sprain figured among the slight accidents.

KW - Basketball

KW - Epidemiology

KW - Injuries

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0035789922&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0035789922&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

AN - SCOPUS:0035789922

VL - 23

SP - 170

EP - 172

JO - European Journal of Sports Traumatology and Related Research

JF - European Journal of Sports Traumatology and Related Research

SN - 1592-3894

IS - 4

ER -