Epilepsy associated with Leukoaraiosis mainly affects temporal lobe: a casual or causal relationship?

Sara Gasparini, Edoardo Ferlazzo, Ettore Beghi, Vito Sofia, Laura Mumoli, Angelo Labate, Vittoria Cianci, Daniela Fatuzzo, Marina Angela Bellavia, Luciano Arcudi, Emilio Russo, Giovambattista De Sarro, Antonio Gambardella, Umberto Aguglia

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

Objective To compare anatomo-electro-clinical findings between patients with epilepsy associated with leukoaraiosis only (EAL) and patients with a well-defined vascular lesion, i.e. post-stroke epilepsy (PSE). MethodsTwo hundred eighty-three subjects with epilepsy and cerebrovascular disease, consecutively seen in our epilepsy centres from January 2000 to March 2014, were retrospectively considered. Inclusion criteria were: history of one or more unprovoked seizures and MRI evidence of one or more vascular lesions. Exclusion criteria were: inadequate neuroimaging data, coexistence of nonvascular lesions, and psychogenic seizures. Subjects were divided in two groups: PSE and EAL, based onclinical and MRI findings. Epileptogenic focus was identified according to ictal semiology and EEG findings. In PSE group, coherence between the vascular lesion(s) and epileptogenic focus was scored as likely or unlikely. ResultsOne hundred seventeen subjects were included: 58 had PSE, 59 EAL. Coherence was identified as likely in 38 (95%) and unlikely in 2 (5%). At univariate analysis, abnormal EEG and frontal localization were associated with a lower EAL probability [odds ratio (OR) 0.36, 95% confidence interval (CI) 0.15-0.87, p=. 0.02 and OR 0.12, 95% CI 0.04-0.37, p

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1-8
Number of pages8
JournalEpilepsy Research
Volume109
Issue number1
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 2015

Keywords

  • Cerebrovascular disease
  • EEG
  • Leukoaraiosis
  • MRI
  • Seizures
  • Stroke

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Clinical Neurology
  • Neurology
  • Medicine(all)

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Epilepsy associated with Leukoaraiosis mainly affects temporal lobe: a casual or causal relationship?'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this

    Gasparini, S., Ferlazzo, E., Beghi, E., Sofia, V., Mumoli, L., Labate, A., Cianci, V., Fatuzzo, D., Bellavia, M. A., Arcudi, L., Russo, E., De Sarro, G., Gambardella, A., & Aguglia, U. (2015). Epilepsy associated with Leukoaraiosis mainly affects temporal lobe: a casual or causal relationship? Epilepsy Research, 109(1), 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eplepsyres.2014.10.012