Erectile dysfunction in kidney transplanted patients: Efficacy of sildenafil

Domenico Russo, Dario Musone, Vincenzo Alteri, Luca Cindolo, Bernardo Lanzillo, Stefano Federico, Vittorio E. Andreucci

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Background: Erectile dysfunction (ED) is the inability to achieve and/or maintain an erection for satisfactory sexual performance. The effects of kidney transplantation on pre-existing ED are poorly understood, as well as the onset of new ED cases after kidney transplantation. This study aimed to evaluate the effects of kidney transplantation on pre-existing ED, to assess the onset of new ED cases after renal transplantation and to assess both the efficacy and safety of sildenafil. Methods: Erectile function was assessed using the self-administered International Index of Erectile Function (IIEF) to kidney transplanted patients. A 50 mg dose of sildenafil was prescribed. Sildenafil efficacy was assessed by re-administering the questionnaire after 4 weeks of therapy. Blood chemistry and serum cyclosporine concentration were evaluated at the beginning of the study and, in patients treated with sildenafil, after 4 weeks of treatment. Results: One hundred and thirteen patients (87.5%) completed the questionnaire. Fifty-three patients (47%) did not complain of ED, the remaining 60 patients (53%) reported ED. ED was already present during dialysis in 40 patients; it appeared ex novo in 20 patients after transplantation. Pre-existing ED disappeared in 8 patients (20%), ameliorated in 13 patients (32.5%), worsened in 2 patients (5%), and remained unchanged in 17 patients (42.5%) after transplantation. The IIEF score significantly improved in sildenafil-treated patients (n=20); there were no observed changes in blood chemistry, blood pressure (BP), renal function and cyclosporine concentration. The side-effects were minimal. Conclusions: ED was still present in a large cohort of kidney transplanted men. Renal transplantation cures few ED cases. ED can appear ex novo after transplantation. Sildenafil is an effective ED treatment in kidney transplanted men.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)291-295
Number of pages5
JournalJournal of Nephrology
Volume17
Issue number2
Publication statusPublished - Mar 2004

Keywords

  • Erectile dysfunction
  • Kidney transplantation
  • Sildenafil

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Nephrology

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Erectile dysfunction in kidney transplanted patients: Efficacy of sildenafil'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this