Examination of level of knowledge in Italian general practitioners attending an education session on diagnosis and management of the early stage of Alzheimer's disease: pass or fail?

Federica Veneziani, Francesco Panza, Vincenzo Solfrizzi, Rosa Capozzo, Maria Rosaria Barulli, Antonio Leo, Madia Lozupone, Andrea Fontana, Simona Arcuti, Massimiliano Copetti, Valentina Cardinali, Alessandra Grasso, Marianna Tursi, Annalisa Iurillo, Bruno Pietro Imbimbo, Davide Seripa, Giancarlo Logroscino

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

Background:: We detected the general level of knowledge about the early diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease (AD) and subsequent care in general practitioners (GPs) from Southern Italy. We explored also the GP perception about their knowledge and training on diagnosis and management of AD. Methods:: On a sample of 131 GPs, we administered two questionnaires: the GP-Knowledge, evaluating GPs’ expertise about AD epidemiology, differential diagnosis, and available treatments, and the GP-QUestionnaire on Awareness of Dementia (GP-QUAD), assessing the GPs’ attitudes, awareness, and practice regarding early diagnosis of dementia. Results:: Specific screening tests or protocols to diagnose and manage dementia were not used by 53% of our GPs. The training on the recognition of early AD signs and symptoms was considered inadequate by 55% of the participants. Females were more likely to consider their training insufficient (58%) compared to males (53%). Female GPs were less likely to prescribe antipsychotic drugs to control neuropsychiatric symptoms (NPS) and suggest specialist advice in late stage of cognitive impairment. Multiple Correspondence Analysis (MCA) performed only on GP-QUAD suggested two dimensions explaining 26.1% (“GP attitude”) and 20.1% (“GP knowledge”) of the inertia for a total of 46.2%, Conclusion:: In our survey on GP clinical practice, several problems in properly recognizing early AD symptoms and subsequently screening patients to be referred to secondary/tertiary care centers for diagnosis confirmation have emerged. In the future, specific training programs and educational projects for GPs should be implemented also in Italy to improve detection rates and management of dementia in primary care.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1-14
Number of pages14
JournalInternational Psychogeriatrics
DOIs
Publication statusAccepted/In press - Jan 28 2016

Fingerprint

General Practitioners
Alzheimer Disease
Education
Dementia
Italy
Early Diagnosis
Secondary Care Centers
Drug and Narcotic Control
Tertiary Care Centers
Antipsychotic Agents
Signs and Symptoms
Primary Health Care
Epidemiology
Differential Diagnosis

Keywords

  • Alzheimer's disease
  • dementia
  • general practitioner
  • knowledge
  • primary care

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Geriatrics and Gerontology
  • Psychiatry and Mental health
  • Gerontology
  • Clinical Psychology

Cite this

Examination of level of knowledge in Italian general practitioners attending an education session on diagnosis and management of the early stage of Alzheimer's disease : pass or fail? / Veneziani, Federica; Panza, Francesco; Solfrizzi, Vincenzo; Capozzo, Rosa; Barulli, Maria Rosaria; Leo, Antonio; Lozupone, Madia; Fontana, Andrea; Arcuti, Simona; Copetti, Massimiliano; Cardinali, Valentina; Grasso, Alessandra; Tursi, Marianna; Iurillo, Annalisa; Imbimbo, Bruno Pietro; Seripa, Davide; Logroscino, Giancarlo.

In: International Psychogeriatrics, 28.01.2016, p. 1-14.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Veneziani, F, Panza, F, Solfrizzi, V, Capozzo, R, Barulli, MR, Leo, A, Lozupone, M, Fontana, A, Arcuti, S, Copetti, M, Cardinali, V, Grasso, A, Tursi, M, Iurillo, A, Imbimbo, BP, Seripa, D & Logroscino, G 2016, 'Examination of level of knowledge in Italian general practitioners attending an education session on diagnosis and management of the early stage of Alzheimer's disease: pass or fail?', International Psychogeriatrics, pp. 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1041610216000041
Veneziani, Federica ; Panza, Francesco ; Solfrizzi, Vincenzo ; Capozzo, Rosa ; Barulli, Maria Rosaria ; Leo, Antonio ; Lozupone, Madia ; Fontana, Andrea ; Arcuti, Simona ; Copetti, Massimiliano ; Cardinali, Valentina ; Grasso, Alessandra ; Tursi, Marianna ; Iurillo, Annalisa ; Imbimbo, Bruno Pietro ; Seripa, Davide ; Logroscino, Giancarlo. / Examination of level of knowledge in Italian general practitioners attending an education session on diagnosis and management of the early stage of Alzheimer's disease : pass or fail?. In: International Psychogeriatrics. 2016 ; pp. 1-14.
@article{1290a8b9aee44a918ad776dd3ddedcdc,
title = "Examination of level of knowledge in Italian general practitioners attending an education session on diagnosis and management of the early stage of Alzheimer's disease: pass or fail?",
abstract = "Background:: We detected the general level of knowledge about the early diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease (AD) and subsequent care in general practitioners (GPs) from Southern Italy. We explored also the GP perception about their knowledge and training on diagnosis and management of AD. Methods:: On a sample of 131 GPs, we administered two questionnaires: the GP-Knowledge, evaluating GPs’ expertise about AD epidemiology, differential diagnosis, and available treatments, and the GP-QUestionnaire on Awareness of Dementia (GP-QUAD), assessing the GPs’ attitudes, awareness, and practice regarding early diagnosis of dementia. Results:: Specific screening tests or protocols to diagnose and manage dementia were not used by 53{\%} of our GPs. The training on the recognition of early AD signs and symptoms was considered inadequate by 55{\%} of the participants. Females were more likely to consider their training insufficient (58{\%}) compared to males (53{\%}). Female GPs were less likely to prescribe antipsychotic drugs to control neuropsychiatric symptoms (NPS) and suggest specialist advice in late stage of cognitive impairment. Multiple Correspondence Analysis (MCA) performed only on GP-QUAD suggested two dimensions explaining 26.1{\%} (“GP attitude”) and 20.1{\%} (“GP knowledge”) of the inertia for a total of 46.2{\%}, Conclusion:: In our survey on GP clinical practice, several problems in properly recognizing early AD symptoms and subsequently screening patients to be referred to secondary/tertiary care centers for diagnosis confirmation have emerged. In the future, specific training programs and educational projects for GPs should be implemented also in Italy to improve detection rates and management of dementia in primary care.",
keywords = "Alzheimer's disease, dementia, general practitioner, knowledge, primary care",
author = "Federica Veneziani and Francesco Panza and Vincenzo Solfrizzi and Rosa Capozzo and Barulli, {Maria Rosaria} and Antonio Leo and Madia Lozupone and Andrea Fontana and Simona Arcuti and Massimiliano Copetti and Valentina Cardinali and Alessandra Grasso and Marianna Tursi and Annalisa Iurillo and Imbimbo, {Bruno Pietro} and Davide Seripa and Giancarlo Logroscino",
year = "2016",
month = "1",
day = "28",
doi = "10.1017/S1041610216000041",
language = "English",
pages = "1--14",
journal = "International Psychogeriatrics",
issn = "1041-6102",
publisher = "Cambridge University Press",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Examination of level of knowledge in Italian general practitioners attending an education session on diagnosis and management of the early stage of Alzheimer's disease

T2 - pass or fail?

AU - Veneziani, Federica

AU - Panza, Francesco

AU - Solfrizzi, Vincenzo

AU - Capozzo, Rosa

AU - Barulli, Maria Rosaria

AU - Leo, Antonio

AU - Lozupone, Madia

AU - Fontana, Andrea

AU - Arcuti, Simona

AU - Copetti, Massimiliano

AU - Cardinali, Valentina

AU - Grasso, Alessandra

AU - Tursi, Marianna

AU - Iurillo, Annalisa

AU - Imbimbo, Bruno Pietro

AU - Seripa, Davide

AU - Logroscino, Giancarlo

PY - 2016/1/28

Y1 - 2016/1/28

N2 - Background:: We detected the general level of knowledge about the early diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease (AD) and subsequent care in general practitioners (GPs) from Southern Italy. We explored also the GP perception about their knowledge and training on diagnosis and management of AD. Methods:: On a sample of 131 GPs, we administered two questionnaires: the GP-Knowledge, evaluating GPs’ expertise about AD epidemiology, differential diagnosis, and available treatments, and the GP-QUestionnaire on Awareness of Dementia (GP-QUAD), assessing the GPs’ attitudes, awareness, and practice regarding early diagnosis of dementia. Results:: Specific screening tests or protocols to diagnose and manage dementia were not used by 53% of our GPs. The training on the recognition of early AD signs and symptoms was considered inadequate by 55% of the participants. Females were more likely to consider their training insufficient (58%) compared to males (53%). Female GPs were less likely to prescribe antipsychotic drugs to control neuropsychiatric symptoms (NPS) and suggest specialist advice in late stage of cognitive impairment. Multiple Correspondence Analysis (MCA) performed only on GP-QUAD suggested two dimensions explaining 26.1% (“GP attitude”) and 20.1% (“GP knowledge”) of the inertia for a total of 46.2%, Conclusion:: In our survey on GP clinical practice, several problems in properly recognizing early AD symptoms and subsequently screening patients to be referred to secondary/tertiary care centers for diagnosis confirmation have emerged. In the future, specific training programs and educational projects for GPs should be implemented also in Italy to improve detection rates and management of dementia in primary care.

AB - Background:: We detected the general level of knowledge about the early diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease (AD) and subsequent care in general practitioners (GPs) from Southern Italy. We explored also the GP perception about their knowledge and training on diagnosis and management of AD. Methods:: On a sample of 131 GPs, we administered two questionnaires: the GP-Knowledge, evaluating GPs’ expertise about AD epidemiology, differential diagnosis, and available treatments, and the GP-QUestionnaire on Awareness of Dementia (GP-QUAD), assessing the GPs’ attitudes, awareness, and practice regarding early diagnosis of dementia. Results:: Specific screening tests or protocols to diagnose and manage dementia were not used by 53% of our GPs. The training on the recognition of early AD signs and symptoms was considered inadequate by 55% of the participants. Females were more likely to consider their training insufficient (58%) compared to males (53%). Female GPs were less likely to prescribe antipsychotic drugs to control neuropsychiatric symptoms (NPS) and suggest specialist advice in late stage of cognitive impairment. Multiple Correspondence Analysis (MCA) performed only on GP-QUAD suggested two dimensions explaining 26.1% (“GP attitude”) and 20.1% (“GP knowledge”) of the inertia for a total of 46.2%, Conclusion:: In our survey on GP clinical practice, several problems in properly recognizing early AD symptoms and subsequently screening patients to be referred to secondary/tertiary care centers for diagnosis confirmation have emerged. In the future, specific training programs and educational projects for GPs should be implemented also in Italy to improve detection rates and management of dementia in primary care.

KW - Alzheimer's disease

KW - dementia

KW - general practitioner

KW - knowledge

KW - primary care

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84955601689&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84955601689&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1017/S1041610216000041

DO - 10.1017/S1041610216000041

M3 - Article

AN - SCOPUS:84955601689

SP - 1

EP - 14

JO - International Psychogeriatrics

JF - International Psychogeriatrics

SN - 1041-6102

ER -