Familial diabetes of adulthood: A bin of ignorance that needs to be addressed

S. Prudente, Ornella Ludovico, V. Trischitta

Research output: Contribution to journalShort surveypeer-review

Abstract

Aims The aim of this article was to share with a wide readership some data and related reasoning about a multigenerational form of diabetes mellitus of adulthood. Data synthesis We have recently described a familial form of diabetes mellitus, which in the routine clinical setting of adult individuals is simplistically diagnosed as type 2 diabetes. Such misdiagnosis involves as much as 3% of adult unrelated diabetic patients with no evidence of autoimmune disease. More recent data, obtained by means of a next-generation sequencing, indicate that approximately 25% of such patients carry mutations in the genes involved in monogenic diabetes, thus leaving unraveled the molecular causes of the remaining 75% individuals. Conclusions Our proposal is to define the latter patients as being affected by familial diabetes of adulthood (FDA), a clear admission of ignorance and a limbo where adult patients with multigenerational diabetes with no genetic definition of their hyperglycemia have to wait for better times.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1053-1059
Number of pages7
JournalNutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases
Volume27
Issue number12
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Dec 1 2017

Keywords

  • Monogenic diabetes
  • Multigenerational diabetes

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Medicine (miscellaneous)
  • Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
  • Nutrition and Dietetics
  • Cardiology and Cardiovascular Medicine

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Familial diabetes of adulthood: A bin of ignorance that needs to be addressed'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this