First-line chemotherapy with vinorelbine and paclitaxel as simultaneous infusion in advanced breast cancer

Patrizia Vici, Antonella Amodio, Luigi Di Lauro, Francesca Conti, Tommaso Gionfra, Franca Belli, Massimo Lopez

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Based on preclinical data showing a synergistic activity of simultaneous administration of vinorelbine and paclitaxel, we carried out a phase II trial in previously untreated advanced breast cancer patients. Treatment consisted of vinorelbine 25 mg/m2 and paclitaxel 150 mg/m2, both drugs given by intravenous infusion over 3 h on day 1, with cycles repeated every 3 weeks. Granulocyte colony-stimulating factor, 300 μg subcutaneously, was given on days 7-12 to the first 10 patients. From October 1995 to January 1997, 43 patients with advanced breast cancer entered the study, and 41 were evaluable for response. We obtained 2 complete responses (5%) and 18 partial responses (44%), for an overall response rate of 49% (95% CI 34-64%). Median time to response, time to progression and survival were 2, 7 and 22 months, respectively. Myelosuppression was the dose-limiting toxicity, with G4 neutropenia in 21% and neutropenic fever in 7% of the patients. Other toxicities were mild. Simultaneous infusion of vinorelbine and paclitaxel is a well-tolerated and active regimen in metastatic breast cancer, with overall results similar to those reported with more toxic regimens; furthermore, it may be a good option in patients with anthracycline contraindications.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)3-7
Number of pages5
JournalOncology
Volume58
Issue number1
Publication statusPublished - 2000

Keywords

  • Breast cancer
  • Paclitaxel
  • Simultaneous infusion
  • Vinorelbine

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Cancer Research
  • Oncology

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'First-line chemotherapy with vinorelbine and paclitaxel as simultaneous infusion in advanced breast cancer'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this