Fludarabine-based chemotherapy in untreated mantle cell lymphomas: An encouraging experience in 29 patients

Pier Luigi Zinzani, Massimo Magagnoli, Luciano Moretti, Raffaele Battista, Fioravante Ronconi, Amalia De Renzo, Alfonso Zaccaria, Patrizia Gentilini, Luciano Guardigni, Filippo Gherlinzoni, Claudia Cellini, Pier Paolo Fattori, Maurizio Bendandi, Monica Bocchia, Enrico Aitini, Sante Tura

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

29 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Background and Objectives. A prospective study to evaluate the role of fludarabine alone or in combination with idarubicin in untreated patients with mantle cell lymphoma (MCL). Design and Methods. Twenty-nine untreated patients with mantle cell lymphoma were stochastically treated with intravenous fludarabine at a dose of 25 mg/m2/day for 5 days (11 patients) or with a combination of fludarabine and idarubicin (FLU-ID) (fludarabine 25 mg/m2 i.v. on days 1 to 3 and idarubicin 12 mg/m2 i.v. on day 1 (18 patients). For both regimens, cycles were given at three-week intervals for a total of six courses. According to the internationdiate and high risk factor patients were in the FLUID subset: 7 (39%) patients vs. 2 (18%) in the fludarabine alone subset. Results. Of the 29 patients, 8 (28%) obtained a complete response and 10 (35%) a partial response, with an overall response rate of 63%. The remaining 11 (37%) patients did not respond to the therapy. The overall response rates were 64% (7 patients) in the fludarabine group and 61% (11 patients) in the FLUID group. The complete response rate was 27% (3 patients) for fludarabine and 28% (5 patients) for FLU-ID. The toxicity was mild in terms of neutropenia and infections, and no fatalities occurred due to drug-induced side effects. Interpretation and Conclusions. These results suggest the efficacy of fludarabine alone or in combination with idarubicin in MCL patients. It will be important to increase this experience and to assess other fludarabine-containing regimens, in particular with cyclophosphamide plus idarubicin and with mitoxantrone and or cyclophosphamide, to test the true role of this approach in MCL.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1002-1006
Number of pages5
JournalHaematologica
Volume84
Issue number11
Publication statusPublished - Nov 1999

Fingerprint

Mantle-Cell Lymphoma
Idarubicin
Drug Therapy
fludarabine
Cyclophosphamide
Mitoxantrone
Neutropenia
Drug-Related Side Effects and Adverse Reactions

Keywords

  • Complete response
  • Fludarabine
  • Fludarabine in combination
  • Idarubicin
  • Mantle cell lymphoma

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Hematology

Cite this

Zinzani, P. L., Magagnoli, M., Moretti, L., Battista, R., Ronconi, F., De Renzo, A., ... Tura, S. (1999). Fludarabine-based chemotherapy in untreated mantle cell lymphomas: An encouraging experience in 29 patients. Haematologica, 84(11), 1002-1006.

Fludarabine-based chemotherapy in untreated mantle cell lymphomas : An encouraging experience in 29 patients. / Zinzani, Pier Luigi; Magagnoli, Massimo; Moretti, Luciano; Battista, Raffaele; Ronconi, Fioravante; De Renzo, Amalia; Zaccaria, Alfonso; Gentilini, Patrizia; Guardigni, Luciano; Gherlinzoni, Filippo; Cellini, Claudia; Fattori, Pier Paolo; Bendandi, Maurizio; Bocchia, Monica; Aitini, Enrico; Tura, Sante.

In: Haematologica, Vol. 84, No. 11, 11.1999, p. 1002-1006.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Zinzani, PL, Magagnoli, M, Moretti, L, Battista, R, Ronconi, F, De Renzo, A, Zaccaria, A, Gentilini, P, Guardigni, L, Gherlinzoni, F, Cellini, C, Fattori, PP, Bendandi, M, Bocchia, M, Aitini, E & Tura, S 1999, 'Fludarabine-based chemotherapy in untreated mantle cell lymphomas: An encouraging experience in 29 patients', Haematologica, vol. 84, no. 11, pp. 1002-1006.
Zinzani PL, Magagnoli M, Moretti L, Battista R, Ronconi F, De Renzo A et al. Fludarabine-based chemotherapy in untreated mantle cell lymphomas: An encouraging experience in 29 patients. Haematologica. 1999 Nov;84(11):1002-1006.
Zinzani, Pier Luigi ; Magagnoli, Massimo ; Moretti, Luciano ; Battista, Raffaele ; Ronconi, Fioravante ; De Renzo, Amalia ; Zaccaria, Alfonso ; Gentilini, Patrizia ; Guardigni, Luciano ; Gherlinzoni, Filippo ; Cellini, Claudia ; Fattori, Pier Paolo ; Bendandi, Maurizio ; Bocchia, Monica ; Aitini, Enrico ; Tura, Sante. / Fludarabine-based chemotherapy in untreated mantle cell lymphomas : An encouraging experience in 29 patients. In: Haematologica. 1999 ; Vol. 84, No. 11. pp. 1002-1006.
@article{b496d67eef9742ebbad6f61cc55d5246,
title = "Fludarabine-based chemotherapy in untreated mantle cell lymphomas: An encouraging experience in 29 patients",
abstract = "Background and Objectives. A prospective study to evaluate the role of fludarabine alone or in combination with idarubicin in untreated patients with mantle cell lymphoma (MCL). Design and Methods. Twenty-nine untreated patients with mantle cell lymphoma were stochastically treated with intravenous fludarabine at a dose of 25 mg/m2/day for 5 days (11 patients) or with a combination of fludarabine and idarubicin (FLU-ID) (fludarabine 25 mg/m2 i.v. on days 1 to 3 and idarubicin 12 mg/m2 i.v. on day 1 (18 patients). For both regimens, cycles were given at three-week intervals for a total of six courses. According to the internationdiate and high risk factor patients were in the FLUID subset: 7 (39{\%}) patients vs. 2 (18{\%}) in the fludarabine alone subset. Results. Of the 29 patients, 8 (28{\%}) obtained a complete response and 10 (35{\%}) a partial response, with an overall response rate of 63{\%}. The remaining 11 (37{\%}) patients did not respond to the therapy. The overall response rates were 64{\%} (7 patients) in the fludarabine group and 61{\%} (11 patients) in the FLUID group. The complete response rate was 27{\%} (3 patients) for fludarabine and 28{\%} (5 patients) for FLU-ID. The toxicity was mild in terms of neutropenia and infections, and no fatalities occurred due to drug-induced side effects. Interpretation and Conclusions. These results suggest the efficacy of fludarabine alone or in combination with idarubicin in MCL patients. It will be important to increase this experience and to assess other fludarabine-containing regimens, in particular with cyclophosphamide plus idarubicin and with mitoxantrone and or cyclophosphamide, to test the true role of this approach in MCL.",
keywords = "Complete response, Fludarabine, Fludarabine in combination, Idarubicin, Mantle cell lymphoma",
author = "Zinzani, {Pier Luigi} and Massimo Magagnoli and Luciano Moretti and Raffaele Battista and Fioravante Ronconi and {De Renzo}, Amalia and Alfonso Zaccaria and Patrizia Gentilini and Luciano Guardigni and Filippo Gherlinzoni and Claudia Cellini and Fattori, {Pier Paolo} and Maurizio Bendandi and Monica Bocchia and Enrico Aitini and Sante Tura",
year = "1999",
month = "11",
language = "English",
volume = "84",
pages = "1002--1006",
journal = "Haematologica",
issn = "0390-6078",
publisher = "NLM (Medline)",
number = "11",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Fludarabine-based chemotherapy in untreated mantle cell lymphomas

T2 - An encouraging experience in 29 patients

AU - Zinzani, Pier Luigi

AU - Magagnoli, Massimo

AU - Moretti, Luciano

AU - Battista, Raffaele

AU - Ronconi, Fioravante

AU - De Renzo, Amalia

AU - Zaccaria, Alfonso

AU - Gentilini, Patrizia

AU - Guardigni, Luciano

AU - Gherlinzoni, Filippo

AU - Cellini, Claudia

AU - Fattori, Pier Paolo

AU - Bendandi, Maurizio

AU - Bocchia, Monica

AU - Aitini, Enrico

AU - Tura, Sante

PY - 1999/11

Y1 - 1999/11

N2 - Background and Objectives. A prospective study to evaluate the role of fludarabine alone or in combination with idarubicin in untreated patients with mantle cell lymphoma (MCL). Design and Methods. Twenty-nine untreated patients with mantle cell lymphoma were stochastically treated with intravenous fludarabine at a dose of 25 mg/m2/day for 5 days (11 patients) or with a combination of fludarabine and idarubicin (FLU-ID) (fludarabine 25 mg/m2 i.v. on days 1 to 3 and idarubicin 12 mg/m2 i.v. on day 1 (18 patients). For both regimens, cycles were given at three-week intervals for a total of six courses. According to the internationdiate and high risk factor patients were in the FLUID subset: 7 (39%) patients vs. 2 (18%) in the fludarabine alone subset. Results. Of the 29 patients, 8 (28%) obtained a complete response and 10 (35%) a partial response, with an overall response rate of 63%. The remaining 11 (37%) patients did not respond to the therapy. The overall response rates were 64% (7 patients) in the fludarabine group and 61% (11 patients) in the FLUID group. The complete response rate was 27% (3 patients) for fludarabine and 28% (5 patients) for FLU-ID. The toxicity was mild in terms of neutropenia and infections, and no fatalities occurred due to drug-induced side effects. Interpretation and Conclusions. These results suggest the efficacy of fludarabine alone or in combination with idarubicin in MCL patients. It will be important to increase this experience and to assess other fludarabine-containing regimens, in particular with cyclophosphamide plus idarubicin and with mitoxantrone and or cyclophosphamide, to test the true role of this approach in MCL.

AB - Background and Objectives. A prospective study to evaluate the role of fludarabine alone or in combination with idarubicin in untreated patients with mantle cell lymphoma (MCL). Design and Methods. Twenty-nine untreated patients with mantle cell lymphoma were stochastically treated with intravenous fludarabine at a dose of 25 mg/m2/day for 5 days (11 patients) or with a combination of fludarabine and idarubicin (FLU-ID) (fludarabine 25 mg/m2 i.v. on days 1 to 3 and idarubicin 12 mg/m2 i.v. on day 1 (18 patients). For both regimens, cycles were given at three-week intervals for a total of six courses. According to the internationdiate and high risk factor patients were in the FLUID subset: 7 (39%) patients vs. 2 (18%) in the fludarabine alone subset. Results. Of the 29 patients, 8 (28%) obtained a complete response and 10 (35%) a partial response, with an overall response rate of 63%. The remaining 11 (37%) patients did not respond to the therapy. The overall response rates were 64% (7 patients) in the fludarabine group and 61% (11 patients) in the FLUID group. The complete response rate was 27% (3 patients) for fludarabine and 28% (5 patients) for FLU-ID. The toxicity was mild in terms of neutropenia and infections, and no fatalities occurred due to drug-induced side effects. Interpretation and Conclusions. These results suggest the efficacy of fludarabine alone or in combination with idarubicin in MCL patients. It will be important to increase this experience and to assess other fludarabine-containing regimens, in particular with cyclophosphamide plus idarubicin and with mitoxantrone and or cyclophosphamide, to test the true role of this approach in MCL.

KW - Complete response

KW - Fludarabine

KW - Fludarabine in combination

KW - Idarubicin

KW - Mantle cell lymphoma

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0032758414&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0032758414&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

C2 - 10553160

AN - SCOPUS:0032758414

VL - 84

SP - 1002

EP - 1006

JO - Haematologica

JF - Haematologica

SN - 0390-6078

IS - 11

ER -