Fludarabine in combination: An effective therapy for relapsed or refractory low-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (LGL): A multicentre experience

G. Santini, S. Nati, M. Spriano, A. Gallamini, A. Porcellini, D. Pierluigi, A. M. Congiu, A. Rubagotti, T. Chisesi, R. Vimercati, E. Rossi, M. R. Sertoli, D. Mattel, G. Marino, M. Gobbi, C. De Souza

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

1 Citation (Scopus)

Abstract

Fludarabine (FLU) alone or in combination has been reported to be effective in recurrent LGL. But granulocytopenia and infection occurred. We report two successive studies in which FLU was combined with cyclophosphamide (CY) and with CY plus mitoxantrone (MITO). Fifty-three successive patients with recurrent LGL (R.E.A.L. classification) entered studies. Patients: median age 56 years (range 35 to 75); stage II 5 pts.. Stage HI-IV 48 pts.; relapse after CR 20 pts., PR in progression 21 pts., NR 6 pts., PD 6 pts. Twenty-two patients received FLU/CY treatment (FLU 25 mg/m2 days 1 to 3, CY 300 mg/m2 days 1 to 3), and 31 patients FLU/CY/MITO treatment (FLU 25 mg/m2 days 1 to 3, CY 300 mg/m2 days 1 to 3, MITO 10 mg/m2 day 1). Courses were given every 4 weeks for a maximum of 6 courses. Patients received antibiotic prophylaxis throughout treatment and growth factor (G-CSF) when grade III granulocytopenia (WHO) occurred. Thirty-one patients achieved CR (58%) and 16 PR (30%), with an overall response rate of 88%. Response was similar in both groups (FLU/CY: CR 55%, PR 41%; FLU/CY/ MITO: CR 61%, PR 23%). After 3 courses, 58% of overall CR were achieved in FLU/CY treatment and 90% in FLU/CY/ MITO treatment (p = .02). Granulocytopenia occurred in 79% of patients, grade III-IV was observed in 21% of chemotherapy courses and had a similar distribution between the two treatments. Only 5 patients had a therapeutic delay. Few febrile episodes occurred without infection. However, 1 patient died of sepsis of unknown origin three months after six courses of treatment. Both treatments were effective in recurrent low-grade NHL. The fast activity of FLU/CY/ MITO treatment suggests the clearer usefulness of this schedule. The antibiotic prophylaxis with G-CSF support seems to reduce treatment-related infection.

Original languageEnglish
JournalBlood
Volume96
Issue number11 PART I
Publication statusPublished - 2000

Fingerprint

Refractory materials
Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma
Cyclophosphamide
Mitoxantrone
Agranulocytosis
Therapeutics
Antibiotic Prophylaxis
Granulocyte Colony-Stimulating Factor
fludarabine
Infection
Anti-Bacterial Agents
Chemotherapy
Sepsis
Intercellular Signaling Peptides and Proteins
Appointments and Schedules
Fever
Recurrence
Drug Therapy

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Hematology

Cite this

Santini, G., Nati, S., Spriano, M., Gallamini, A., Porcellini, A., Pierluigi, D., ... De Souza, C. (2000). Fludarabine in combination: An effective therapy for relapsed or refractory low-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (LGL): A multicentre experience. Blood, 96(11 PART I).

Fludarabine in combination : An effective therapy for relapsed or refractory low-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (LGL): A multicentre experience. / Santini, G.; Nati, S.; Spriano, M.; Gallamini, A.; Porcellini, A.; Pierluigi, D.; Congiu, A. M.; Rubagotti, A.; Chisesi, T.; Vimercati, R.; Rossi, E.; Sertoli, M. R.; Mattel, D.; Marino, G.; Gobbi, M.; De Souza, C.

In: Blood, Vol. 96, No. 11 PART I, 2000.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Santini, G, Nati, S, Spriano, M, Gallamini, A, Porcellini, A, Pierluigi, D, Congiu, AM, Rubagotti, A, Chisesi, T, Vimercati, R, Rossi, E, Sertoli, MR, Mattel, D, Marino, G, Gobbi, M & De Souza, C 2000, 'Fludarabine in combination: An effective therapy for relapsed or refractory low-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (LGL): A multicentre experience', Blood, vol. 96, no. 11 PART I.
Santini G, Nati S, Spriano M, Gallamini A, Porcellini A, Pierluigi D et al. Fludarabine in combination: An effective therapy for relapsed or refractory low-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (LGL): A multicentre experience. Blood. 2000;96(11 PART I).
Santini, G. ; Nati, S. ; Spriano, M. ; Gallamini, A. ; Porcellini, A. ; Pierluigi, D. ; Congiu, A. M. ; Rubagotti, A. ; Chisesi, T. ; Vimercati, R. ; Rossi, E. ; Sertoli, M. R. ; Mattel, D. ; Marino, G. ; Gobbi, M. ; De Souza, C. / Fludarabine in combination : An effective therapy for relapsed or refractory low-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (LGL): A multicentre experience. In: Blood. 2000 ; Vol. 96, No. 11 PART I.
@article{b3f8f912b5e54e2a967772f7a37ea58d,
title = "Fludarabine in combination: An effective therapy for relapsed or refractory low-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (LGL): A multicentre experience",
abstract = "Fludarabine (FLU) alone or in combination has been reported to be effective in recurrent LGL. But granulocytopenia and infection occurred. We report two successive studies in which FLU was combined with cyclophosphamide (CY) and with CY plus mitoxantrone (MITO). Fifty-three successive patients with recurrent LGL (R.E.A.L. classification) entered studies. Patients: median age 56 years (range 35 to 75); stage II 5 pts.. Stage HI-IV 48 pts.; relapse after CR 20 pts., PR in progression 21 pts., NR 6 pts., PD 6 pts. Twenty-two patients received FLU/CY treatment (FLU 25 mg/m2 days 1 to 3, CY 300 mg/m2 days 1 to 3), and 31 patients FLU/CY/MITO treatment (FLU 25 mg/m2 days 1 to 3, CY 300 mg/m2 days 1 to 3, MITO 10 mg/m2 day 1). Courses were given every 4 weeks for a maximum of 6 courses. Patients received antibiotic prophylaxis throughout treatment and growth factor (G-CSF) when grade III granulocytopenia (WHO) occurred. Thirty-one patients achieved CR (58{\%}) and 16 PR (30{\%}), with an overall response rate of 88{\%}. Response was similar in both groups (FLU/CY: CR 55{\%}, PR 41{\%}; FLU/CY/ MITO: CR 61{\%}, PR 23{\%}). After 3 courses, 58{\%} of overall CR were achieved in FLU/CY treatment and 90{\%} in FLU/CY/ MITO treatment (p = .02). Granulocytopenia occurred in 79{\%} of patients, grade III-IV was observed in 21{\%} of chemotherapy courses and had a similar distribution between the two treatments. Only 5 patients had a therapeutic delay. Few febrile episodes occurred without infection. However, 1 patient died of sepsis of unknown origin three months after six courses of treatment. Both treatments were effective in recurrent low-grade NHL. The fast activity of FLU/CY/ MITO treatment suggests the clearer usefulness of this schedule. The antibiotic prophylaxis with G-CSF support seems to reduce treatment-related infection.",
author = "G. Santini and S. Nati and M. Spriano and A. Gallamini and A. Porcellini and D. Pierluigi and Congiu, {A. M.} and A. Rubagotti and T. Chisesi and R. Vimercati and E. Rossi and Sertoli, {M. R.} and D. Mattel and G. Marino and M. Gobbi and {De Souza}, C.",
year = "2000",
language = "English",
volume = "96",
journal = "Blood",
issn = "0006-4971",
publisher = "American Society of Hematology",
number = "11 PART I",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Fludarabine in combination

T2 - An effective therapy for relapsed or refractory low-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (LGL): A multicentre experience

AU - Santini, G.

AU - Nati, S.

AU - Spriano, M.

AU - Gallamini, A.

AU - Porcellini, A.

AU - Pierluigi, D.

AU - Congiu, A. M.

AU - Rubagotti, A.

AU - Chisesi, T.

AU - Vimercati, R.

AU - Rossi, E.

AU - Sertoli, M. R.

AU - Mattel, D.

AU - Marino, G.

AU - Gobbi, M.

AU - De Souza, C.

PY - 2000

Y1 - 2000

N2 - Fludarabine (FLU) alone or in combination has been reported to be effective in recurrent LGL. But granulocytopenia and infection occurred. We report two successive studies in which FLU was combined with cyclophosphamide (CY) and with CY plus mitoxantrone (MITO). Fifty-three successive patients with recurrent LGL (R.E.A.L. classification) entered studies. Patients: median age 56 years (range 35 to 75); stage II 5 pts.. Stage HI-IV 48 pts.; relapse after CR 20 pts., PR in progression 21 pts., NR 6 pts., PD 6 pts. Twenty-two patients received FLU/CY treatment (FLU 25 mg/m2 days 1 to 3, CY 300 mg/m2 days 1 to 3), and 31 patients FLU/CY/MITO treatment (FLU 25 mg/m2 days 1 to 3, CY 300 mg/m2 days 1 to 3, MITO 10 mg/m2 day 1). Courses were given every 4 weeks for a maximum of 6 courses. Patients received antibiotic prophylaxis throughout treatment and growth factor (G-CSF) when grade III granulocytopenia (WHO) occurred. Thirty-one patients achieved CR (58%) and 16 PR (30%), with an overall response rate of 88%. Response was similar in both groups (FLU/CY: CR 55%, PR 41%; FLU/CY/ MITO: CR 61%, PR 23%). After 3 courses, 58% of overall CR were achieved in FLU/CY treatment and 90% in FLU/CY/ MITO treatment (p = .02). Granulocytopenia occurred in 79% of patients, grade III-IV was observed in 21% of chemotherapy courses and had a similar distribution between the two treatments. Only 5 patients had a therapeutic delay. Few febrile episodes occurred without infection. However, 1 patient died of sepsis of unknown origin three months after six courses of treatment. Both treatments were effective in recurrent low-grade NHL. The fast activity of FLU/CY/ MITO treatment suggests the clearer usefulness of this schedule. The antibiotic prophylaxis with G-CSF support seems to reduce treatment-related infection.

AB - Fludarabine (FLU) alone or in combination has been reported to be effective in recurrent LGL. But granulocytopenia and infection occurred. We report two successive studies in which FLU was combined with cyclophosphamide (CY) and with CY plus mitoxantrone (MITO). Fifty-three successive patients with recurrent LGL (R.E.A.L. classification) entered studies. Patients: median age 56 years (range 35 to 75); stage II 5 pts.. Stage HI-IV 48 pts.; relapse after CR 20 pts., PR in progression 21 pts., NR 6 pts., PD 6 pts. Twenty-two patients received FLU/CY treatment (FLU 25 mg/m2 days 1 to 3, CY 300 mg/m2 days 1 to 3), and 31 patients FLU/CY/MITO treatment (FLU 25 mg/m2 days 1 to 3, CY 300 mg/m2 days 1 to 3, MITO 10 mg/m2 day 1). Courses were given every 4 weeks for a maximum of 6 courses. Patients received antibiotic prophylaxis throughout treatment and growth factor (G-CSF) when grade III granulocytopenia (WHO) occurred. Thirty-one patients achieved CR (58%) and 16 PR (30%), with an overall response rate of 88%. Response was similar in both groups (FLU/CY: CR 55%, PR 41%; FLU/CY/ MITO: CR 61%, PR 23%). After 3 courses, 58% of overall CR were achieved in FLU/CY treatment and 90% in FLU/CY/ MITO treatment (p = .02). Granulocytopenia occurred in 79% of patients, grade III-IV was observed in 21% of chemotherapy courses and had a similar distribution between the two treatments. Only 5 patients had a therapeutic delay. Few febrile episodes occurred without infection. However, 1 patient died of sepsis of unknown origin three months after six courses of treatment. Both treatments were effective in recurrent low-grade NHL. The fast activity of FLU/CY/ MITO treatment suggests the clearer usefulness of this schedule. The antibiotic prophylaxis with G-CSF support seems to reduce treatment-related infection.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=33748667993&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=33748667993&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

AN - SCOPUS:33748667993

VL - 96

JO - Blood

JF - Blood

SN - 0006-4971

IS - 11 PART I

ER -