Fludarabine, mitoxantrone and dexamethasone as front-line therapy in elderly patients affected by newly-diagnosed, low-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphomas with unfavorable prognostic factors: Results of a phase II study

Roberto Bordonaro, Giuseppina Petralia, Nunzio Restuccia, Anna Maria Todaro, Diego Serraino, Dario Guiffrida, Stefano Cordio, Carmelo Giannitto-Giorgio, Placida Salice, Maria Ursino, Giuseppe Novello, Francesco Marletta, Mario Manusia

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

About one-third of the cases of non-Hodgkin's lymphomas occur in patients aged 60 years or more. Nlevertheless, there are very few data in the literature regarding the optimal therapeutic approach for both aggressive and indolent histologies. Fludarabine-based combination regimens are an effective choice for younger patients affected by low-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphomas, but there is a lack of information about their tolerability and efficacy in older patients. We performed a phase II study to test the efficacy and safety of the combination of Fludarabine, Mitoxantrone and Dexamethasone (FND) in newly-diagnosed, chemo-naïve elderly patients affected by low-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphomas with unfavorable prognostic factors. From March 1999 to March 2002, 18 patients were enrolled into the study. All the patients were evaluated for toxicity and response. Neutropenia and thrombocytopenia have been registered as the main toxicities. Thirteen (72%) patients experienced a complete response and 4 (22%) a partial response: the overall response rate was 94%. At a median follow-up of 19 months, the median time for progression-free-survival and the median survival time were not reached yet. The 2-years projected progression-free-survival and overall-survival are 52% and 67% respectively. When administered as first-line treatment to a population of elderly patients affected by high-risk, low-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphomas, FND showed a high efficacy and a good toxicity profile. Our data compare favorably to those reported for the same schedule administered both as first- or second-line therapy in younger patients.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)93-100
Number of pages8
JournalLeukemia and Lymphoma
Volume45
Issue number1
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Jan 2004

Fingerprint

Mitoxantrone
Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma
Dexamethasone
Therapeutics
Disease-Free Survival
fludarabine
Survival
Neutropenia
Thrombocytopenia
Histology
Appointments and Schedules
Safety

Keywords

  • Chemotherapy
  • Elderly
  • Indolent lymphomas
  • Prognostic factors

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Hematology
  • Oncology
  • Cancer Research

Cite this

Fludarabine, mitoxantrone and dexamethasone as front-line therapy in elderly patients affected by newly-diagnosed, low-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphomas with unfavorable prognostic factors : Results of a phase II study. / Bordonaro, Roberto; Petralia, Giuseppina; Restuccia, Nunzio; Todaro, Anna Maria; Serraino, Diego; Guiffrida, Dario; Cordio, Stefano; Giannitto-Giorgio, Carmelo; Salice, Placida; Ursino, Maria; Novello, Giuseppe; Marletta, Francesco; Manusia, Mario.

In: Leukemia and Lymphoma, Vol. 45, No. 1, 01.2004, p. 93-100.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Bordonaro, R, Petralia, G, Restuccia, N, Todaro, AM, Serraino, D, Guiffrida, D, Cordio, S, Giannitto-Giorgio, C, Salice, P, Ursino, M, Novello, G, Marletta, F & Manusia, M 2004, 'Fludarabine, mitoxantrone and dexamethasone as front-line therapy in elderly patients affected by newly-diagnosed, low-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphomas with unfavorable prognostic factors: Results of a phase II study', Leukemia and Lymphoma, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 93-100. https://doi.org/10.1080/1042819031000139765
Bordonaro, Roberto ; Petralia, Giuseppina ; Restuccia, Nunzio ; Todaro, Anna Maria ; Serraino, Diego ; Guiffrida, Dario ; Cordio, Stefano ; Giannitto-Giorgio, Carmelo ; Salice, Placida ; Ursino, Maria ; Novello, Giuseppe ; Marletta, Francesco ; Manusia, Mario. / Fludarabine, mitoxantrone and dexamethasone as front-line therapy in elderly patients affected by newly-diagnosed, low-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphomas with unfavorable prognostic factors : Results of a phase II study. In: Leukemia and Lymphoma. 2004 ; Vol. 45, No. 1. pp. 93-100.
@article{a5c6e083012d4cd7a8eaec319183b653,
title = "Fludarabine, mitoxantrone and dexamethasone as front-line therapy in elderly patients affected by newly-diagnosed, low-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphomas with unfavorable prognostic factors: Results of a phase II study",
abstract = "About one-third of the cases of non-Hodgkin's lymphomas occur in patients aged 60 years or more. Nlevertheless, there are very few data in the literature regarding the optimal therapeutic approach for both aggressive and indolent histologies. Fludarabine-based combination regimens are an effective choice for younger patients affected by low-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphomas, but there is a lack of information about their tolerability and efficacy in older patients. We performed a phase II study to test the efficacy and safety of the combination of Fludarabine, Mitoxantrone and Dexamethasone (FND) in newly-diagnosed, chemo-na{\"i}ve elderly patients affected by low-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphomas with unfavorable prognostic factors. From March 1999 to March 2002, 18 patients were enrolled into the study. All the patients were evaluated for toxicity and response. Neutropenia and thrombocytopenia have been registered as the main toxicities. Thirteen (72{\%}) patients experienced a complete response and 4 (22{\%}) a partial response: the overall response rate was 94{\%}. At a median follow-up of 19 months, the median time for progression-free-survival and the median survival time were not reached yet. The 2-years projected progression-free-survival and overall-survival are 52{\%} and 67{\%} respectively. When administered as first-line treatment to a population of elderly patients affected by high-risk, low-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphomas, FND showed a high efficacy and a good toxicity profile. Our data compare favorably to those reported for the same schedule administered both as first- or second-line therapy in younger patients.",
keywords = "Chemotherapy, Elderly, Indolent lymphomas, Prognostic factors",
author = "Roberto Bordonaro and Giuseppina Petralia and Nunzio Restuccia and Todaro, {Anna Maria} and Diego Serraino and Dario Guiffrida and Stefano Cordio and Carmelo Giannitto-Giorgio and Placida Salice and Maria Ursino and Giuseppe Novello and Francesco Marletta and Mario Manusia",
year = "2004",
month = "1",
doi = "10.1080/1042819031000139765",
language = "English",
volume = "45",
pages = "93--100",
journal = "Leukemia and Lymphoma",
issn = "1042-8194",
publisher = "Taylor and Francis Ltd.",
number = "1",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Fludarabine, mitoxantrone and dexamethasone as front-line therapy in elderly patients affected by newly-diagnosed, low-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphomas with unfavorable prognostic factors

T2 - Results of a phase II study

AU - Bordonaro, Roberto

AU - Petralia, Giuseppina

AU - Restuccia, Nunzio

AU - Todaro, Anna Maria

AU - Serraino, Diego

AU - Guiffrida, Dario

AU - Cordio, Stefano

AU - Giannitto-Giorgio, Carmelo

AU - Salice, Placida

AU - Ursino, Maria

AU - Novello, Giuseppe

AU - Marletta, Francesco

AU - Manusia, Mario

PY - 2004/1

Y1 - 2004/1

N2 - About one-third of the cases of non-Hodgkin's lymphomas occur in patients aged 60 years or more. Nlevertheless, there are very few data in the literature regarding the optimal therapeutic approach for both aggressive and indolent histologies. Fludarabine-based combination regimens are an effective choice for younger patients affected by low-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphomas, but there is a lack of information about their tolerability and efficacy in older patients. We performed a phase II study to test the efficacy and safety of the combination of Fludarabine, Mitoxantrone and Dexamethasone (FND) in newly-diagnosed, chemo-naïve elderly patients affected by low-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphomas with unfavorable prognostic factors. From March 1999 to March 2002, 18 patients were enrolled into the study. All the patients were evaluated for toxicity and response. Neutropenia and thrombocytopenia have been registered as the main toxicities. Thirteen (72%) patients experienced a complete response and 4 (22%) a partial response: the overall response rate was 94%. At a median follow-up of 19 months, the median time for progression-free-survival and the median survival time were not reached yet. The 2-years projected progression-free-survival and overall-survival are 52% and 67% respectively. When administered as first-line treatment to a population of elderly patients affected by high-risk, low-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphomas, FND showed a high efficacy and a good toxicity profile. Our data compare favorably to those reported for the same schedule administered both as first- or second-line therapy in younger patients.

AB - About one-third of the cases of non-Hodgkin's lymphomas occur in patients aged 60 years or more. Nlevertheless, there are very few data in the literature regarding the optimal therapeutic approach for both aggressive and indolent histologies. Fludarabine-based combination regimens are an effective choice for younger patients affected by low-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphomas, but there is a lack of information about their tolerability and efficacy in older patients. We performed a phase II study to test the efficacy and safety of the combination of Fludarabine, Mitoxantrone and Dexamethasone (FND) in newly-diagnosed, chemo-naïve elderly patients affected by low-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphomas with unfavorable prognostic factors. From March 1999 to March 2002, 18 patients were enrolled into the study. All the patients were evaluated for toxicity and response. Neutropenia and thrombocytopenia have been registered as the main toxicities. Thirteen (72%) patients experienced a complete response and 4 (22%) a partial response: the overall response rate was 94%. At a median follow-up of 19 months, the median time for progression-free-survival and the median survival time were not reached yet. The 2-years projected progression-free-survival and overall-survival are 52% and 67% respectively. When administered as first-line treatment to a population of elderly patients affected by high-risk, low-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphomas, FND showed a high efficacy and a good toxicity profile. Our data compare favorably to those reported for the same schedule administered both as first- or second-line therapy in younger patients.

KW - Chemotherapy

KW - Elderly

KW - Indolent lymphomas

KW - Prognostic factors

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=10744220318&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=10744220318&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1080/1042819031000139765

DO - 10.1080/1042819031000139765

M3 - Article

C2 - 15061203

AN - SCOPUS:10744220318

VL - 45

SP - 93

EP - 100

JO - Leukemia and Lymphoma

JF - Leukemia and Lymphoma

SN - 1042-8194

IS - 1

ER -