Flurithromycin ethylsuccinate in the treatment of lower respiratory tract bacterial infections

F. Bariffi, V. Clini, F. Ginesu, Patrizia Mangiarotti, Giulinana Gialdroni-Grassi, Libera Romoli

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

Efficacy and tolerability of flurithromycin ethylsuccinate were evaluated in lower respiratory tract infections. One hundred and ten patients (38 women, 72 men; age range 18-87 years) were treates with on 375 mg tablet 12-hourly for a mean duration of 8.7 days. One hundred and five patients were evaluable for efficacy. Overall clinical cure rate was 62.9%; improvement was recorded in 19% of patients for a total satisfactory clinical response rate of 81.9%. Sputum production decreased in most patients, being absent after treatment in 47% (only one patient was negative at baseline); sputum was purulent or mucopurulent in 80% of subjects before and in 20% after treatment. Bacteriological evaluation was possible in 72 patients: pathogen eradication was achieved in 80.2% of cases. Eight patients out of 110 reported adverse reactions, mainly gastrointestinal; in one case treatment had to be discontinued. These results demonstrate that flurithromycin ethylsuccinate is safe and effective in the treatment of lower respiratory tract infections.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)226-230
Number of pages5
JournalInfection
Volume22
Issue number3
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - May 1994

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Microbiology (medical)
  • Immunology

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Flurithromycin ethylsuccinate in the treatment of lower respiratory tract bacterial infections'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this

    Bariffi, F., Clini, V., Ginesu, F., Mangiarotti, P., Gialdroni-Grassi, G., & Romoli, L. (1994). Flurithromycin ethylsuccinate in the treatment of lower respiratory tract bacterial infections. Infection, 22(3), 226-230. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01716716