Risultati funzionali nella ricostruzione della catena ossiculare nell'atrofia parziale o totale dell'incudine. Confronto tra ricostruzione mediante incudine modellata e PORP in idrossiapatite.

Translated title of the contribution: Functional results in the reconstruction of the ossicular chain in partial or total atrophy of the incus. Comparison between reconstruction using a moulded incus and hydroxyapatite PORP

V. Ferrero, M. Bussi, L. Giordano, A. L. Cavalot, R. Albera

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

Ossicular chain defects modifying sound transmission through the middle ear can be treated with (re)implantation of remodeled autologous o homologous ossicles. In recent years, thanks to improved biocompatibility of the materials on the market, prostheses have been increasingly used in the partial or total ossicular chain reconstruction. The present study evaluates auditory ossicle reconstruction as a result of partial or total atrophy of the incus, comparing the use of the remodeled autologous incus with the use of partial hydroxyapatite prostheses (PORP). The study involved 79 patients of which 59 (74.7%) underwent ossicular chain reconstruction using a remodeled, inverted autologous incus while in the remaining 20 cases (25.3%) a hydroxyapatite prosthesis (PORP) was used. The effectiveness of the ossicular chain was evaluated by comparing pre- and postoperative audiometry and evaluating the average thresholds at frequencies of 0.5, 1, 2 and 3 KHz. The average preoperative audiometric gap (understood as the relationship between the air-bone gap) was 23 dB (Standard Deviation 11.2) while postoperatively it was 11 dB (SD 8.5) (p <0.0001). Therefore the improvement in the air-bone gap was 12 dB (SD 11) for the overall population: 13 dB (SD 10) in those cases where reconstruction was performed using a remodeled incus and 8 dB (SD 11) when PORP was used. The postoperative cumulative gap between the air and bone pathways fell between 0 and 20 dB in 84% of the total population: 89% of those reconstructed with a remodeled incus and 73% of those using PORP. The middle ear ossicular chain reconstruction was performed using remodeled, inverted autologous incus in those cases where ossicular damage did not compromise its use while prostheses made of a biocompatible material (hydroxyapatite PORP) were reserved for those cases where the incus was absent or severely worn. The results obtained are satisfactory, remained stable in time and reflect the average values reported in the Literature.

Translated title of the contributionFunctional results in the reconstruction of the ossicular chain in partial or total atrophy of the incus. Comparison between reconstruction using a moulded incus and hydroxyapatite PORP
Original languageItalian
Pages (from-to)159-164
Number of pages6
JournalActa Otorhinolaryngologica Italica
Volume20
Issue number3
Publication statusPublished - Jun 2000

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Otorhinolaryngology

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Functional results in the reconstruction of the ossicular chain in partial or total atrophy of the incus. Comparison between reconstruction using a moulded incus and hydroxyapatite PORP'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this