Stato funzionale e indicazioni per un programma di riabilitazione nei pazienti di un centro dialisi: uno studio multidisciplinare con valutazione ergonomica, fisiatrica e psicologica.

Translated title of the contribution: Functional state and indications for a rehabilitation program of patients in a dialysis center: a multidisciplinary study with ergonomic, physiatrical and psychological evaluation

G. Villa, E. M. Capodaglio, D. Jurisic, I. Giorgi, A. Salvadeo

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

The following study describes the functional status of the entire chronic hemodialysis ambulatory population in treatment at our center. The patients were evaluated from 3 points of view: ergonomic, phyiatric and psychological, thus going a snapshot picture in time of their status. Based on these three evaluations, the need for rehabilitation intervention was determined and rehabilitation treatment program was elaborated. The ergonomic evaluation determined the maximal sustained workload (MSW) from O2 consumption, minute ventilation, heart rate, subjective perception of fatigue and dyspnea. The phyiatric examination included a thorough musculoskeletal examination, application of a functional ability instruments (Karnofsky + FIM) and then integrated the results with the ergonomic + psychologic testing in order to generate phyiatric prescription. The psychologist had a conversation with all patients and applied 2 instruments for evaluation of health-related quality of life (CBA-H + SIP). The results of these studies indicated a markedly compromised aerobic capacity, which worsened with age in years rather than with years in dialysis. Phyiatric prescription were considered necessary in 78% of the patients with major goals being re-conditioning and joint mobilization in order to diminish the fragility of independence in this population. The psychological arm of the study revealed good adaptation to chronic dialysis in 75% of the population, with however absorption of a passive lifestyle. The remaining 25% of the population showed severe psychological distress and social withdrawal. Psychological support for this population is necessary to identify families at risk for stress and poor adaptability as well as to help motivate patients who require rehabilitation to participate in therapy.

Original languageItalian
Pages (from-to)31-38
Number of pages8
JournalGiornale Italiano di Medicina del Lavoro ed Ergonomia
Volume20
Issue number1
Publication statusPublished - 1998

Fingerprint

Human Engineering
Dialysis
Rehabilitation
Psychology
Population
Prescriptions
Aptitude
Workload
Dyspnea
Fatigue
Ventilation
Renal Dialysis
Life Style
Therapeutics
Joints
Heart Rate
Quality of Life

Cite this

@article{dfb7d0bba9884f8ea7c3837c036814fd,
title = "Stato funzionale e indicazioni per un programma di riabilitazione nei pazienti di un centro dialisi: uno studio multidisciplinare con valutazione ergonomica, fisiatrica e psicologica.",
abstract = "The following study describes the functional status of the entire chronic hemodialysis ambulatory population in treatment at our center. The patients were evaluated from 3 points of view: ergonomic, phyiatric and psychological, thus going a snapshot picture in time of their status. Based on these three evaluations, the need for rehabilitation intervention was determined and rehabilitation treatment program was elaborated. The ergonomic evaluation determined the maximal sustained workload (MSW) from O2 consumption, minute ventilation, heart rate, subjective perception of fatigue and dyspnea. The phyiatric examination included a thorough musculoskeletal examination, application of a functional ability instruments (Karnofsky + FIM) and then integrated the results with the ergonomic + psychologic testing in order to generate phyiatric prescription. The psychologist had a conversation with all patients and applied 2 instruments for evaluation of health-related quality of life (CBA-H + SIP). The results of these studies indicated a markedly compromised aerobic capacity, which worsened with age in years rather than with years in dialysis. Phyiatric prescription were considered necessary in 78{\%} of the patients with major goals being re-conditioning and joint mobilization in order to diminish the fragility of independence in this population. The psychological arm of the study revealed good adaptation to chronic dialysis in 75{\%} of the population, with however absorption of a passive lifestyle. The remaining 25{\%} of the population showed severe psychological distress and social withdrawal. Psychological support for this population is necessary to identify families at risk for stress and poor adaptability as well as to help motivate patients who require rehabilitation to participate in therapy.",
author = "G. Villa and Capodaglio, {E. M.} and D. Jurisic and I. Giorgi and A. Salvadeo",
year = "1998",
language = "Italian",
volume = "20",
pages = "31--38",
journal = "Giornale Italiano di Medicina del Lavoro ed Ergonomia",
issn = "1592-7830",
publisher = "Tipografia PI-ME Editrice Srl",
number = "1",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Stato funzionale e indicazioni per un programma di riabilitazione nei pazienti di un centro dialisi

T2 - uno studio multidisciplinare con valutazione ergonomica, fisiatrica e psicologica.

AU - Villa, G.

AU - Capodaglio, E. M.

AU - Jurisic, D.

AU - Giorgi, I.

AU - Salvadeo, A.

PY - 1998

Y1 - 1998

N2 - The following study describes the functional status of the entire chronic hemodialysis ambulatory population in treatment at our center. The patients were evaluated from 3 points of view: ergonomic, phyiatric and psychological, thus going a snapshot picture in time of their status. Based on these three evaluations, the need for rehabilitation intervention was determined and rehabilitation treatment program was elaborated. The ergonomic evaluation determined the maximal sustained workload (MSW) from O2 consumption, minute ventilation, heart rate, subjective perception of fatigue and dyspnea. The phyiatric examination included a thorough musculoskeletal examination, application of a functional ability instruments (Karnofsky + FIM) and then integrated the results with the ergonomic + psychologic testing in order to generate phyiatric prescription. The psychologist had a conversation with all patients and applied 2 instruments for evaluation of health-related quality of life (CBA-H + SIP). The results of these studies indicated a markedly compromised aerobic capacity, which worsened with age in years rather than with years in dialysis. Phyiatric prescription were considered necessary in 78% of the patients with major goals being re-conditioning and joint mobilization in order to diminish the fragility of independence in this population. The psychological arm of the study revealed good adaptation to chronic dialysis in 75% of the population, with however absorption of a passive lifestyle. The remaining 25% of the population showed severe psychological distress and social withdrawal. Psychological support for this population is necessary to identify families at risk for stress and poor adaptability as well as to help motivate patients who require rehabilitation to participate in therapy.

AB - The following study describes the functional status of the entire chronic hemodialysis ambulatory population in treatment at our center. The patients were evaluated from 3 points of view: ergonomic, phyiatric and psychological, thus going a snapshot picture in time of their status. Based on these three evaluations, the need for rehabilitation intervention was determined and rehabilitation treatment program was elaborated. The ergonomic evaluation determined the maximal sustained workload (MSW) from O2 consumption, minute ventilation, heart rate, subjective perception of fatigue and dyspnea. The phyiatric examination included a thorough musculoskeletal examination, application of a functional ability instruments (Karnofsky + FIM) and then integrated the results with the ergonomic + psychologic testing in order to generate phyiatric prescription. The psychologist had a conversation with all patients and applied 2 instruments for evaluation of health-related quality of life (CBA-H + SIP). The results of these studies indicated a markedly compromised aerobic capacity, which worsened with age in years rather than with years in dialysis. Phyiatric prescription were considered necessary in 78% of the patients with major goals being re-conditioning and joint mobilization in order to diminish the fragility of independence in this population. The psychological arm of the study revealed good adaptation to chronic dialysis in 75% of the population, with however absorption of a passive lifestyle. The remaining 25% of the population showed severe psychological distress and social withdrawal. Psychological support for this population is necessary to identify families at risk for stress and poor adaptability as well as to help motivate patients who require rehabilitation to participate in therapy.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0031601789&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0031601789&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Articolo

C2 - 9546099

AN - SCOPUS:0031601789

VL - 20

SP - 31

EP - 38

JO - Giornale Italiano di Medicina del Lavoro ed Ergonomia

JF - Giornale Italiano di Medicina del Lavoro ed Ergonomia

SN - 1592-7830

IS - 1

ER -