Gly460Trp α-adducin mutation as a possible mechanism leading to endolymphatic hydrops in Ménière's syndrome

Roberto Teggi, Chiara Lanzani, Laura Zagato, Simona Delli Carpini, Paolo Manunta, Giuseppe Bianchi, Mario Bussi

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

30 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

OBJECTIVE: Ménière's disease (MD) is an inner ear disorder characterized by recurrent episodic vertigo, hearing loss that is fluctuating in the first stages, aural fullness, and tinnitus. Raised endolymphatic pressure (hydrops) is commonly accepted as a causal condition. Approximately 90% of cases of MD are sporadic, whereas the remaining 10% of cases are linked to genetic factors. The ionic composition of endolymph may also depend on the activity of Na, K-ATPase. Adducin is a heterodimeric cytoskeleton protein consisting of 3 subunits (α, β, and γ) coded by 3 different genes (ADD1, ADD2, and ADD3). ADD1 Gly460Trp polymorphism is associated with salt-sensitive hypertension and increased Na-K pump activity in transfected cells. This study aims to verify the role of adducin in the development of MD. METHODS: We genotyped 28 patients affected by definite MD according to American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery Foundation criteria. Results were compared with those from 2 different control populations (normotensive control group from San Raffaele Hospital and general population group). RESULTS: We have not found any significant difference in the distribution of ADD2 C1797T and ADD3 IVS11+386A/G polymorphism genotypes. On the other hand, the frequency of ADD1 Trp allele is significantly increased in patients with MD compared with controls. CONCLUSION: We present data supporting the possibility that increased Na, K-ATPase activity may be one of the pathologic mechanisms inducing hyperosmolarity in endolymph which, in turn, may lead to hydrops.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)824-828
Number of pages5
JournalOtology and Neurotology
Volume29
Issue number6
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Sep 2008

Fingerprint

Endolymphatic Hydrops
Endolymph
Mutation
Labyrinth Diseases
Vestibular Neuronitis
Population Control
Tinnitus
Otolaryngology
Cytoskeleton
Hearing Loss
Population Groups
General Hospitals
Ear
Edema
Neck
Salts
Alleles
Head
Genotype
Hypertension

Keywords

  • Adducin
  • ATPase
  • Endolymph
  • Inner ear
  • Ménière's disease
  • Na, K

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Medicine(all)
  • Clinical Neurology
  • Otorhinolaryngology
  • Sensory Systems

Cite this

Gly460Trp α-adducin mutation as a possible mechanism leading to endolymphatic hydrops in Ménière's syndrome. / Teggi, Roberto; Lanzani, Chiara; Zagato, Laura; Delli Carpini, Simona; Manunta, Paolo; Bianchi, Giuseppe; Bussi, Mario.

In: Otology and Neurotology, Vol. 29, No. 6, 09.2008, p. 824-828.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{b57568791d564530a66dc80284297c9f,
title = "Gly460Trp α-adducin mutation as a possible mechanism leading to endolymphatic hydrops in M{\'e}ni{\`e}re's syndrome",
abstract = "OBJECTIVE: M{\'e}ni{\`e}re's disease (MD) is an inner ear disorder characterized by recurrent episodic vertigo, hearing loss that is fluctuating in the first stages, aural fullness, and tinnitus. Raised endolymphatic pressure (hydrops) is commonly accepted as a causal condition. Approximately 90{\%} of cases of MD are sporadic, whereas the remaining 10{\%} of cases are linked to genetic factors. The ionic composition of endolymph may also depend on the activity of Na, K-ATPase. Adducin is a heterodimeric cytoskeleton protein consisting of 3 subunits (α, β, and γ) coded by 3 different genes (ADD1, ADD2, and ADD3). ADD1 Gly460Trp polymorphism is associated with salt-sensitive hypertension and increased Na-K pump activity in transfected cells. This study aims to verify the role of adducin in the development of MD. METHODS: We genotyped 28 patients affected by definite MD according to American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery Foundation criteria. Results were compared with those from 2 different control populations (normotensive control group from San Raffaele Hospital and general population group). RESULTS: We have not found any significant difference in the distribution of ADD2 C1797T and ADD3 IVS11+386A/G polymorphism genotypes. On the other hand, the frequency of ADD1 Trp allele is significantly increased in patients with MD compared with controls. CONCLUSION: We present data supporting the possibility that increased Na, K-ATPase activity may be one of the pathologic mechanisms inducing hyperosmolarity in endolymph which, in turn, may lead to hydrops.",
keywords = "Adducin, ATPase, Endolymph, Inner ear, M{\'e}ni{\`e}re's disease, Na, K",
author = "Roberto Teggi and Chiara Lanzani and Laura Zagato and {Delli Carpini}, Simona and Paolo Manunta and Giuseppe Bianchi and Mario Bussi",
year = "2008",
month = "9",
doi = "10.1097/MAO.0b013e318180a4b1",
language = "English",
volume = "29",
pages = "824--828",
journal = "Otology and Neurotology",
issn = "1531-7129",
publisher = "Lippincott Williams and Wilkins",
number = "6",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Gly460Trp α-adducin mutation as a possible mechanism leading to endolymphatic hydrops in Ménière's syndrome

AU - Teggi, Roberto

AU - Lanzani, Chiara

AU - Zagato, Laura

AU - Delli Carpini, Simona

AU - Manunta, Paolo

AU - Bianchi, Giuseppe

AU - Bussi, Mario

PY - 2008/9

Y1 - 2008/9

N2 - OBJECTIVE: Ménière's disease (MD) is an inner ear disorder characterized by recurrent episodic vertigo, hearing loss that is fluctuating in the first stages, aural fullness, and tinnitus. Raised endolymphatic pressure (hydrops) is commonly accepted as a causal condition. Approximately 90% of cases of MD are sporadic, whereas the remaining 10% of cases are linked to genetic factors. The ionic composition of endolymph may also depend on the activity of Na, K-ATPase. Adducin is a heterodimeric cytoskeleton protein consisting of 3 subunits (α, β, and γ) coded by 3 different genes (ADD1, ADD2, and ADD3). ADD1 Gly460Trp polymorphism is associated with salt-sensitive hypertension and increased Na-K pump activity in transfected cells. This study aims to verify the role of adducin in the development of MD. METHODS: We genotyped 28 patients affected by definite MD according to American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery Foundation criteria. Results were compared with those from 2 different control populations (normotensive control group from San Raffaele Hospital and general population group). RESULTS: We have not found any significant difference in the distribution of ADD2 C1797T and ADD3 IVS11+386A/G polymorphism genotypes. On the other hand, the frequency of ADD1 Trp allele is significantly increased in patients with MD compared with controls. CONCLUSION: We present data supporting the possibility that increased Na, K-ATPase activity may be one of the pathologic mechanisms inducing hyperosmolarity in endolymph which, in turn, may lead to hydrops.

AB - OBJECTIVE: Ménière's disease (MD) is an inner ear disorder characterized by recurrent episodic vertigo, hearing loss that is fluctuating in the first stages, aural fullness, and tinnitus. Raised endolymphatic pressure (hydrops) is commonly accepted as a causal condition. Approximately 90% of cases of MD are sporadic, whereas the remaining 10% of cases are linked to genetic factors. The ionic composition of endolymph may also depend on the activity of Na, K-ATPase. Adducin is a heterodimeric cytoskeleton protein consisting of 3 subunits (α, β, and γ) coded by 3 different genes (ADD1, ADD2, and ADD3). ADD1 Gly460Trp polymorphism is associated with salt-sensitive hypertension and increased Na-K pump activity in transfected cells. This study aims to verify the role of adducin in the development of MD. METHODS: We genotyped 28 patients affected by definite MD according to American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery Foundation criteria. Results were compared with those from 2 different control populations (normotensive control group from San Raffaele Hospital and general population group). RESULTS: We have not found any significant difference in the distribution of ADD2 C1797T and ADD3 IVS11+386A/G polymorphism genotypes. On the other hand, the frequency of ADD1 Trp allele is significantly increased in patients with MD compared with controls. CONCLUSION: We present data supporting the possibility that increased Na, K-ATPase activity may be one of the pathologic mechanisms inducing hyperosmolarity in endolymph which, in turn, may lead to hydrops.

KW - Adducin

KW - ATPase

KW - Endolymph

KW - Inner ear

KW - Ménière's disease

KW - Na, K

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=62349109722&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=62349109722&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1097/MAO.0b013e318180a4b1

DO - 10.1097/MAO.0b013e318180a4b1

M3 - Article

C2 - 18667944

AN - SCOPUS:62349109722

VL - 29

SP - 824

EP - 828

JO - Otology and Neurotology

JF - Otology and Neurotology

SN - 1531-7129

IS - 6

ER -