Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in childhood: Report from the Bone Marrow Transplantation Group of the Associazione Italiana Ematologia Oncologia Pediatrica (AIEOP)

Andrea Pession, Roberto Rondelli, Paolo Paolucci, Guido Pastore, Giorgio Dini, Federico Bonetti, Enrico Madon, Franco Mandelli, Luigi Zanesco, Cornelio Uderzo, Arcangelo Prete, Marco Rabusin, Alberto Ugazio, Paolo Di Bartolomeo, Claudio Favre, Lawrence Bojd-Faulkner, Vincenzo Poggi, Roberto Luksch, Alberto Donfrancesco, Francesca ArgioluGiorgio La Nasa, Augusto Amici, Franco Locatelli

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Background and Objectives. Transplantation of hematopoietic stem cells from different sources is being increasingly used to treat a variety of diseases in children. Transplant procedures and indications have changed considerably during recent years. Monitoring of information about these changes is useful for interpretation of nationwide collected data. Design and Methods. Since 1985, Centers belonging to the AIEOP (Associazione Italiana Ematologia Oncologia Pediatrica), performing hematopoietic stem cell transplants (HSCT) in children, and members of the AIEOP-Bone Marrow Transplant (BMT) Group annually report data on their transplant activity to the AIEOP-BMT Registry employing specially prepared patient-oriented forms. Results. From January 1985 to December 1998, a total of 2,474 bone marrow (BM), peripheral blood (PB) or umbilical cord blood (CB) transplants were reported: 1,296 (52%) were allogenic (Allo) and 1,178 (48%) autologous (Auto) transplants. These transplants were performed in 19 Italian Centers on 2,249 patients aged less than 17 years. Among Allo-transplants, 1,198 (92%) were performed using BM progenitor cells, whereas 49 (4%) used CB, 42 (3%) were PB, 4 BM plus PB, and 3 BM plus CB allografts. The transplants were performed using HLA-identical sibling donors in 867 cases (67%) and alternative donors (i.e. partially-matched relatives or unrelated donors) in the remaining 429 (33%) cases. Allogenic transplants were performed on 786 (67%) patients with malignancy and on 395 (33%) patients with non-malignant disorders. In the last 6 years, the number of Allo-transplants per year exceeded that of Auto- transplants. Of the Auto-transplants, 755 (66%) were performed using BM, and 403 (34%) using PB alone or combined with BM hematopoietic stem cells. Indications for Auto-BMT were myelo-lympho-proliferative disorders in 524 (49%) cases, solid tumor in 11 (1%) cases. In the last 5 years, the use of PB for autografts has increased from 7% to 70%. Interpretation and Conclusions. These data reflect the development and present status of HSCT in Italy and provide a basis for patient counseling and health care planning. (C) 2000, Ferrata Storti Foundation.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)638-646
Number of pages9
JournalHaematologica
Volume85
Issue number6
Publication statusPublished - Jun 2000

Keywords

  • Childhood cancer
  • Cord blood
  • Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation
  • Leukemia
  • Registry
  • Solid tumors

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Hematology

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in childhood: Report from the Bone Marrow Transplantation Group of the Associazione Italiana Ematologia Oncologia Pediatrica (AIEOP)'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this