Hepatic sonography in patients with hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia hospitalized for epistaxis

F. Draghi, A. Presazzi, G. M. Danesino, N. De Matthaeis, G. L. Rapaccini, C. Danesino

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia (HHT) is an autosomal dominant disorder characterized by the presence of telangiectasias and arteriovenous malformations in various organs and organ systems, including the liver. The most frequent clinical manifestation of HHT is epistaxis.In 2010 (January-December inclusive) 51 patients with HHT were admitted to the ENT ward of our hospital for epistaxis, and in accordance with routine protocols, all 51 underwent abdominal ultrasonography in our department to detect hepatovascular lesions. They included 27 males (53%) and 24 (47%) females ranging in age from 11 to 86 years (mean 48.5 years). The sample was selected in an arbitrary manner to take maximum advantage of the hospital stay and monitor patients from regions other than our own.Retrospective analysis of the findings from these sonographic examinations revealed hepatic HHT in 27 (53%) of the 51 patients. Nineteen (70%) of these (age range 40-86 years, mean 63) had vascular malformations of various dimensions but no portal hypertension; the other eight (30%) (age range 39-81 years, mean 60) had vascular malformations plus portal hypertension.Our retrospective analysis indicates that a significant number of patients can have unrecognized hepatic involvement; that the appearance of hepatic lesions can be fairly unpredictable, even when the HHT has been diagnosed for years and the patients are already symptomatic; and that the hepatic lesions are frequently progressive. Therefore, regular sonographic follow-up is advisable for patients with HHT.The limitations of this study are related to the small number of patients examined and to the fact that all of them were symptomatic. Further study is therefore needed (especially in asymptomatic patients) to define the indications for hepatic sonography and the optimum examination schedule.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)164-170
Number of pages7
JournalJournal of Ultrasound
Volume15
Issue number3
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Sep 2012

Keywords

  • Hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia
  • Liver
  • Rendu-Osler-Weber syndrome
  • Ultrasonography

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Radiology Nuclear Medicine and imaging
  • Internal Medicine

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Hepatic sonography in patients with hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia hospitalized for epistaxis'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this