HER-2/neu oncogene expression and DNA ploidy in normal human kidney and renal cell carcinoma.

M. Danova, M. Giordano, F. Torelli, G. Franchini, F. Cappellano, A. Riccardi, F. Catanzaro, G. Mazzini

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Using flow cytometry (FCM), we have investigated both the DNA content (stained with propidium iodide) and HER-2/neu oncogene expression (revealed by means of an anti-HER-2/neu monoclonal antibody) in neoplastic and non-neoplastic kidney samples from 20 patients with renal cell carcinoma. All the non-neoplastic samples and 15/20 (75%) renal cell cancers showed diploid modal DNA content while the remaining 5 neoplastic sample (25%) showed both diploid and hyperdiploid cell populations. In normal kidney the level of HER-2/neu oncoprotein was low (median fluorescence values in arbitrary units = 7.5 AU, range: 4-10 AU). In diploid renal cancers the level of HER-2/neu was slightly increased (median fluorescence values = 20 AU, range: 9.5-30 AU) (p <.005). The relationship of HER-2/neu expression to the cell cycle in these tumor samples is not clear since most of the cells express the antigen in all phases of the cell cycle. On the other hand, there is an association between HER-2/neu expression and abnormal DNA content suggesting that aneuploid pattern may be biologically related to overexpression of the HER-2/neu gene.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)279-288
Number of pages10
JournalEuropean journal of histochemistry : EJH
Volume36
Issue number3
Publication statusPublished - 1992

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Animal Science and Zoology
  • Cell Biology
  • Developmental Biology
  • Anatomy

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'HER-2/neu oncogene expression and DNA ploidy in normal human kidney and renal cell carcinoma.'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this