High-dose chemotherapy with autologous bone marrow transplantation in 50 advanced resistant Hodgkin's disease patients: An Italian Study Group report

A. M. Carella, A. M. Congin, E. Gaozza, P. Mazza, P. Ricci, G. Visani, G. Meloni, G. Cimino, L. Mangoni, P. Coser, G. L. Cetto, R. Cimino, E. P. Alessandrino, E. Brusamolino, G. Santini, S. Tura, F. Mandelli, V. Rizzoli, C. Bernasconi

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

Fifty patients with recurrent Hodgkin's disease have been treated with high-dose therapy followed by autologous bone marrow transplantation. Forty-one patients had extranodal sites of relapse and 31 patients had constitutional symptoms. Two patients had been treated with mechlorethamine, vincristine, procarbazine, and prednisone (MOPP), lomustine, vinblastine, procarbazine, and prednisone (CcVPP), and radiation; 16 patients with MOPP, doxorubicin, bleomycin, vinblastine, and dacarbazine (ABVD), radiation, and lomustine, etoposide, and prednisone (CEP); 20 patients with alternating MOPP/ABVD, and 12 patients with alternating MOPP/ABVD followed by CEP and radiation. Eighteen patients had progressive disease during alternating MOPP/ABVD protocol alone or during conventional salvage therapy; 32 patients had had a complete remission with first-line therapy but later relapsed, 25 of them having received conventional salvage therapy; 12 achieved no response or progression ('resistant-relapse' patients); and 13 responded partially or completely ('sensitive-relapse' patients). Complete remission occurred in 24 patients (48%) with a median duration of 24 months and 16 patients (32%) achieved partial response with a median duration of 9 months, for an overall response rate of 80%. Ten patients failed to respond and died in progressive disease 1 to 10 months (median, 6 months) after transplantation. Toxicity was significant including infections (20%), liver enzymes and alkaline phosphatase elevations (100%), and carmustine lung toxicity (7%). There were two treatment-related deaths; one patient died of Pseudomonas aeruginosa septicemia and another patient died of cerebral hemorrhage. These results validate the procedure of high-dose therapy followed by autologous bone marrow transplantation in inducing remission in these advanced, highly-treated patients. Clearly, the question of whether high-dose therapy and transplantation will eventually supersede new conventional salvage therapies will be addressed after controlled clinical studies.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1411-1416
Number of pages6
JournalJournal of Clinical Oncology
Volume6
Issue number9
Publication statusPublished - 1988

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Cancer Research
  • Oncology

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'High-dose chemotherapy with autologous bone marrow transplantation in 50 advanced resistant Hodgkin's disease patients: An Italian Study Group report'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this

    Carella, A. M., Congin, A. M., Gaozza, E., Mazza, P., Ricci, P., Visani, G., Meloni, G., Cimino, G., Mangoni, L., Coser, P., Cetto, G. L., Cimino, R., Alessandrino, E. P., Brusamolino, E., Santini, G., Tura, S., Mandelli, F., Rizzoli, V., & Bernasconi, C. (1988). High-dose chemotherapy with autologous bone marrow transplantation in 50 advanced resistant Hodgkin's disease patients: An Italian Study Group report. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 6(9), 1411-1416.