Impact of history of depression on 1-year outcomes in patients with chronic coronary syndromes: An analysis of a contemporary, prospective, nationwide registry

Leonardo De Luca, Pier Luigi Temporelli, Antonio Francesco Amico, Lucio Gonzini, Massimo Uguccioni, Elisabetta Varani, Natale Daniele Brunetti, Furio Colivicchi, Domenico Gabrielli, Michele Massimo Gulizia

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

BACKGROUND: Depression is common in patients with acute cardiovascular conditions and it is associated with adverse clinical events.

METHODS: Using the data from a nationwide, prospective registry on patients with chronic coronary syndromes (CCS), we assessed the impact of depression on major adverse cardiovascular events (MACE), a composite of all-cause death and hospitalization for myocardial infarction, revascularization, heart failure or stroke, and quality of life (QoL) at 1-year follow-up.

RESULTS: From the 5070 consecutive CCS patients enrolled in the registry, 531 (10.5%) presented a history of depression and the remaining 4539 (89.5%) did not. At 1 year (median 369; IQR 362-378 days) from enrolment, the incidence of the primary composite outcome was 9.8% for patients with a history of depression and 7.2% for non-depressed patients (p = 0.03). Patients with history of depression had a significantly higher rate of all-cause mortality (3.0% vs 1.4%; p = 0.004) and hospital admission for heart failure (3.4% vs 1.3%; p = 0.0002) compared to the group without depression. However, history of depression did not result as an independent predictor of MACE at multivariable analysis [hazard ratio 1.17, 95% confidence interval (0.87-1.58), p = 0.31]. Depressed patients had worse QoL according to all domains of the EQ. 5D-5L questionnaire as compared to non-depressed patients (all p < 0.001), at both enrolment and follow-up.

CONCLUSIONS: In this contemporary, large cohort of consecutive patients with CCS, patients with a history of depression experienced a two-fold rate of mortality, a higher incidence of MACE and a worse QoL at 1-year follow-up, compared to non-depressed patients.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)273-280
Number of pages8
JournalInt. J. Cardiol.
Volume331
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - May 15 2021

Keywords

  • Depression/diagnosis
  • Humans
  • Prospective Studies
  • Quality of Life
  • Registries
  • Risk Factors
  • Syndrome
  • Treatment Outcome

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Impact of history of depression on 1-year outcomes in patients with chronic coronary syndromes: An analysis of a contemporary, prospective, nationwide registry'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this