Importanza della reversibilità tardiva nell'identificazione del miocardio vitale a rischio in esiti di infarto miocardico.

Translated title of the contribution: Importance of late reversibility in the identification of myocardial viability at risk after myocardial infarction

B. Palagi, R. Baroffio, R. Picozzi, O. Zoccarato

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

The prevalence of late reversibility in single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) thallium 201 stress/redistribution studies is still controversial. The aim of our work was to evaluate the prevalence of late reversibility at infarct site in an unselected population of patients with previous acute myocardial infarction (AMI). We studied by SPECT thallium 201 and pharmacologic stress with dipyridamole (DIP) as well as by two-dimensional echocardiography 58 consecutive patients with previous AMI (50 men of mean age 57 years, range 40-73; 8 women of mean age 58 years, range 50-68). All the patients with perfusion defect at infarct site that was persistent at 4-hour study, were reimaged after 24 hours. Twenty-one (36%) of 58 patients complained about postinfarction angina. Following intravenous DIP (0.56 mg/kg), heart rate increased from 67 +/- 14 to 83 +/- 14 b/min (<0.0001) and diastolic and systolic arterial pressures dropped from 86 +/- 12 and 139 +/- 25 mmHg to 79 +/- 14 and 132 +/- 27 mmHg, respectively (<0.0001; <0.0005). Of 57 patients with stress perfusion defects at infarct site, 16 (28%) demonstrated reversibility after 4 hours and 19 (33.4%) after 24 hours, with a total of 35 (61.4%) patients demonstrating reversibility by combined 4-hour and 24-hour imaging (<0.0001 versus reversibility at 4-hour imaging alone). Thus, of 41 patients with 4-hour persistent thallium defects at infarct site, 19 (46.3%) demonstrated late reversibility.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)

Original languageItalian
Pages (from-to)331-335
Number of pages5
JournalCardiologia
Volume37
Issue number5
Publication statusPublished - May 1992

Fingerprint

Myocardial Infarction
Thallium
Dipyridamole
Single-Photon Emission-Computed Tomography
Perfusion
Echocardiography
Arterial Pressure
Heart Rate
Blood Pressure
Population

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Cardiology and Cardiovascular Medicine

Cite this

Importanza della reversibilità tardiva nell'identificazione del miocardio vitale a rischio in esiti di infarto miocardico. / Palagi, B.; Baroffio, R.; Picozzi, R.; Zoccarato, O.

In: Cardiologia, Vol. 37, No. 5, 05.1992, p. 331-335.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{9e7d4fb33c27485dbb8fea1409aa0947,
title = "Importanza della reversibilit{\`a} tardiva nell'identificazione del miocardio vitale a rischio in esiti di infarto miocardico.",
abstract = "The prevalence of late reversibility in single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) thallium 201 stress/redistribution studies is still controversial. The aim of our work was to evaluate the prevalence of late reversibility at infarct site in an unselected population of patients with previous acute myocardial infarction (AMI). We studied by SPECT thallium 201 and pharmacologic stress with dipyridamole (DIP) as well as by two-dimensional echocardiography 58 consecutive patients with previous AMI (50 men of mean age 57 years, range 40-73; 8 women of mean age 58 years, range 50-68). All the patients with perfusion defect at infarct site that was persistent at 4-hour study, were reimaged after 24 hours. Twenty-one (36{\%}) of 58 patients complained about postinfarction angina. Following intravenous DIP (0.56 mg/kg), heart rate increased from 67 +/- 14 to 83 +/- 14 b/min (<0.0001) and diastolic and systolic arterial pressures dropped from 86 +/- 12 and 139 +/- 25 mmHg to 79 +/- 14 and 132 +/- 27 mmHg, respectively (<0.0001; <0.0005). Of 57 patients with stress perfusion defects at infarct site, 16 (28{\%}) demonstrated reversibility after 4 hours and 19 (33.4{\%}) after 24 hours, with a total of 35 (61.4{\%}) patients demonstrating reversibility by combined 4-hour and 24-hour imaging (<0.0001 versus reversibility at 4-hour imaging alone). Thus, of 41 patients with 4-hour persistent thallium defects at infarct site, 19 (46.3{\%}) demonstrated late reversibility.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)",
author = "B. Palagi and R. Baroffio and R. Picozzi and O. Zoccarato",
year = "1992",
month = "5",
language = "Italian",
volume = "37",
pages = "331--335",
journal = "Cardiologia (Rome, Italy)",
issn = "0393-1978",
publisher = "Societa Italiana di Cardiologia",
number = "5",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Importanza della reversibilità tardiva nell'identificazione del miocardio vitale a rischio in esiti di infarto miocardico.

AU - Palagi, B.

AU - Baroffio, R.

AU - Picozzi, R.

AU - Zoccarato, O.

PY - 1992/5

Y1 - 1992/5

N2 - The prevalence of late reversibility in single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) thallium 201 stress/redistribution studies is still controversial. The aim of our work was to evaluate the prevalence of late reversibility at infarct site in an unselected population of patients with previous acute myocardial infarction (AMI). We studied by SPECT thallium 201 and pharmacologic stress with dipyridamole (DIP) as well as by two-dimensional echocardiography 58 consecutive patients with previous AMI (50 men of mean age 57 years, range 40-73; 8 women of mean age 58 years, range 50-68). All the patients with perfusion defect at infarct site that was persistent at 4-hour study, were reimaged after 24 hours. Twenty-one (36%) of 58 patients complained about postinfarction angina. Following intravenous DIP (0.56 mg/kg), heart rate increased from 67 +/- 14 to 83 +/- 14 b/min (<0.0001) and diastolic and systolic arterial pressures dropped from 86 +/- 12 and 139 +/- 25 mmHg to 79 +/- 14 and 132 +/- 27 mmHg, respectively (<0.0001; <0.0005). Of 57 patients with stress perfusion defects at infarct site, 16 (28%) demonstrated reversibility after 4 hours and 19 (33.4%) after 24 hours, with a total of 35 (61.4%) patients demonstrating reversibility by combined 4-hour and 24-hour imaging (<0.0001 versus reversibility at 4-hour imaging alone). Thus, of 41 patients with 4-hour persistent thallium defects at infarct site, 19 (46.3%) demonstrated late reversibility.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)

AB - The prevalence of late reversibility in single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) thallium 201 stress/redistribution studies is still controversial. The aim of our work was to evaluate the prevalence of late reversibility at infarct site in an unselected population of patients with previous acute myocardial infarction (AMI). We studied by SPECT thallium 201 and pharmacologic stress with dipyridamole (DIP) as well as by two-dimensional echocardiography 58 consecutive patients with previous AMI (50 men of mean age 57 years, range 40-73; 8 women of mean age 58 years, range 50-68). All the patients with perfusion defect at infarct site that was persistent at 4-hour study, were reimaged after 24 hours. Twenty-one (36%) of 58 patients complained about postinfarction angina. Following intravenous DIP (0.56 mg/kg), heart rate increased from 67 +/- 14 to 83 +/- 14 b/min (<0.0001) and diastolic and systolic arterial pressures dropped from 86 +/- 12 and 139 +/- 25 mmHg to 79 +/- 14 and 132 +/- 27 mmHg, respectively (<0.0001; <0.0005). Of 57 patients with stress perfusion defects at infarct site, 16 (28%) demonstrated reversibility after 4 hours and 19 (33.4%) after 24 hours, with a total of 35 (61.4%) patients demonstrating reversibility by combined 4-hour and 24-hour imaging (<0.0001 versus reversibility at 4-hour imaging alone). Thus, of 41 patients with 4-hour persistent thallium defects at infarct site, 19 (46.3%) demonstrated late reversibility.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0026859778&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0026859778&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Articolo

C2 - 1423366

AN - SCOPUS:0026859778

VL - 37

SP - 331

EP - 335

JO - Cardiologia (Rome, Italy)

JF - Cardiologia (Rome, Italy)

SN - 0393-1978

IS - 5

ER -