Incidence and prevalence of hypothyroidism in patients affected by chronic heart failure: Role of amiodarone

Vincenzo Triggiani, Massimo Iacoviello, Fabio Monzani, Agata Puzzovivo, Pietro Guida, Cinzia Forleo, Marco Matteo Ciccone, Raffaella Catanzaro, Emilio Tafaro, Brunella Licchelli, Vito Angelo Giagulli, Edoardo Guastamacchia, Stefano Favale

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Background: It has been demonstrated that hypothyroidism can lead to significant hemodynamic alterations favoring the onset of chronic heart failure (CHF) as well as its progression. Furthermore, amiodarone, an iodinecontaining antiarhythmic drug frequently used in CHF patients, is often the cause of primary hypothyroidism. Aim of the Study: To define the prevalence and incidence of hypothyroidism in a group of CHF outpatients in stable clinical conditions, with particular reference to the role of amiodarone therapy. Results: Among the 422 enrolled patients (326 males, aged 65±12 years), 51 (12%) had a previous diagnosis of hypothyroidism while 21 (5%) were newly diagnosed at the enrolment. Then, the overall prevalence of hypothyroidism at the first evaluation was 17% and, as expected, it was significantly higher in females than males (33% vs 13%; p

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)86-94
Number of pages9
JournalEndocrine, Metabolic and Immune Disorders - Drug Targets
Volume12
Issue number1
Publication statusPublished - Mar 2012

Keywords

  • Amiodarone
  • Chronic heart failure
  • Hypothyroidism

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
  • Immunology and Allergy

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Incidence and prevalence of hypothyroidism in patients affected by chronic heart failure: Role of amiodarone'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this