Induction chemotherapy with carboplatin/paclitaxel followed by surgery or standard radiotherapy and concurrent daily low-dose cisplatin for locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC)

Daniela De Candis, Simonetta Chiara Stani, Paolo Bidoli, Vittorio Amedeo Bedini, Paolo Potepan, Pierina Navarria, Stefania Aglione, Emilio Bajetta

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

8 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Five-year survival in patients with unresectable non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) is less than 10%. In the present phase II study, 43 patients with locally advanced stage IIIA or selected IIIB NSCLC were given four courses of carboplatin AUC = 6 and paclitaxel 200 mg/m2 (3-hour infusion), every 3 weeks. Responsive patients, when possible, underwent surgery followed by standard radiotherapy (50 Gy) or radiotherapy (60 Gy), with concurrent cisplatin as intravenous continuous infusion of 4 mg/m2/d. Sixteen of the 42 evaluable patients achieved partial response (38%) and 3 complete response (CR) (7%) for an overall response rate of 45% (95% CI 30.1-60.2). RO resectability rate was 29%, with 21% of pathologic CRs. Three more CRs were achieved with concurrent chemoradio-therapy in responsive but unresected patients. Grade III/IV hematologic toxicity was 9%, while one perioperative death occurred. The median duration of response was 14 months (range: 3-44+); median survival was 15 months (range: 9-47+). One-year and 2-year survival rates were 51% and 22%, respectively. The median survival in the responsive resected patients was 26 months, with 2-year survival of 57%. Carboplatin/paclitaxel represents an effective and well-tolerated induction therapy, suggesting its possible role in combination with radiotherapy as neoadjuvant treatment in locally advanced NSCLC in alternative to cisplatin-based regimens.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)265-269
Number of pages5
JournalAmerican Journal of Clinical Oncology: Cancer Clinical Trials
Volume26
Issue number3
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Jun 2003

Fingerprint

Induction Chemotherapy
Carboplatin
Paclitaxel
Non-Small Cell Lung Carcinoma
Cisplatin
Radiotherapy
Survival
Neoadjuvant Therapy
Intravenous Infusions
Area Under Curve
Survival Rate
Therapeutics

Keywords

  • Induction chemotherapy
  • Multimodality treatment
  • Non-small-cell lung cancer (SCLC)
  • Radiation therapy
  • Stage III
  • Surgery

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Oncology
  • Cancer Research

Cite this

Induction chemotherapy with carboplatin/paclitaxel followed by surgery or standard radiotherapy and concurrent daily low-dose cisplatin for locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). / De Candis, Daniela; Stani, Simonetta Chiara; Bidoli, Paolo; Bedini, Vittorio Amedeo; Potepan, Paolo; Navarria, Pierina; Aglione, Stefania; Bajetta, Emilio.

In: American Journal of Clinical Oncology: Cancer Clinical Trials, Vol. 26, No. 3, 06.2003, p. 265-269.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{321346833dce4427af01fd68534a58e5,
title = "Induction chemotherapy with carboplatin/paclitaxel followed by surgery or standard radiotherapy and concurrent daily low-dose cisplatin for locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC)",
abstract = "Five-year survival in patients with unresectable non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) is less than 10{\%}. In the present phase II study, 43 patients with locally advanced stage IIIA or selected IIIB NSCLC were given four courses of carboplatin AUC = 6 and paclitaxel 200 mg/m2 (3-hour infusion), every 3 weeks. Responsive patients, when possible, underwent surgery followed by standard radiotherapy (50 Gy) or radiotherapy (60 Gy), with concurrent cisplatin as intravenous continuous infusion of 4 mg/m2/d. Sixteen of the 42 evaluable patients achieved partial response (38{\%}) and 3 complete response (CR) (7{\%}) for an overall response rate of 45{\%} (95{\%} CI 30.1-60.2). RO resectability rate was 29{\%}, with 21{\%} of pathologic CRs. Three more CRs were achieved with concurrent chemoradio-therapy in responsive but unresected patients. Grade III/IV hematologic toxicity was 9{\%}, while one perioperative death occurred. The median duration of response was 14 months (range: 3-44+); median survival was 15 months (range: 9-47+). One-year and 2-year survival rates were 51{\%} and 22{\%}, respectively. The median survival in the responsive resected patients was 26 months, with 2-year survival of 57{\%}. Carboplatin/paclitaxel represents an effective and well-tolerated induction therapy, suggesting its possible role in combination with radiotherapy as neoadjuvant treatment in locally advanced NSCLC in alternative to cisplatin-based regimens.",
keywords = "Induction chemotherapy, Multimodality treatment, Non-small-cell lung cancer (SCLC), Radiation therapy, Stage III, Surgery",
author = "{De Candis}, Daniela and Stani, {Simonetta Chiara} and Paolo Bidoli and Bedini, {Vittorio Amedeo} and Paolo Potepan and Pierina Navarria and Stefania Aglione and Emilio Bajetta",
year = "2003",
month = "6",
doi = "10.1097/00000421-200306000-00012",
language = "English",
volume = "26",
pages = "265--269",
journal = "American Journal of Clinical Oncology",
issn = "0277-3732",
publisher = "Lippincott Williams and Wilkins",
number = "3",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Induction chemotherapy with carboplatin/paclitaxel followed by surgery or standard radiotherapy and concurrent daily low-dose cisplatin for locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC)

AU - De Candis, Daniela

AU - Stani, Simonetta Chiara

AU - Bidoli, Paolo

AU - Bedini, Vittorio Amedeo

AU - Potepan, Paolo

AU - Navarria, Pierina

AU - Aglione, Stefania

AU - Bajetta, Emilio

PY - 2003/6

Y1 - 2003/6

N2 - Five-year survival in patients with unresectable non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) is less than 10%. In the present phase II study, 43 patients with locally advanced stage IIIA or selected IIIB NSCLC were given four courses of carboplatin AUC = 6 and paclitaxel 200 mg/m2 (3-hour infusion), every 3 weeks. Responsive patients, when possible, underwent surgery followed by standard radiotherapy (50 Gy) or radiotherapy (60 Gy), with concurrent cisplatin as intravenous continuous infusion of 4 mg/m2/d. Sixteen of the 42 evaluable patients achieved partial response (38%) and 3 complete response (CR) (7%) for an overall response rate of 45% (95% CI 30.1-60.2). RO resectability rate was 29%, with 21% of pathologic CRs. Three more CRs were achieved with concurrent chemoradio-therapy in responsive but unresected patients. Grade III/IV hematologic toxicity was 9%, while one perioperative death occurred. The median duration of response was 14 months (range: 3-44+); median survival was 15 months (range: 9-47+). One-year and 2-year survival rates were 51% and 22%, respectively. The median survival in the responsive resected patients was 26 months, with 2-year survival of 57%. Carboplatin/paclitaxel represents an effective and well-tolerated induction therapy, suggesting its possible role in combination with radiotherapy as neoadjuvant treatment in locally advanced NSCLC in alternative to cisplatin-based regimens.

AB - Five-year survival in patients with unresectable non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) is less than 10%. In the present phase II study, 43 patients with locally advanced stage IIIA or selected IIIB NSCLC were given four courses of carboplatin AUC = 6 and paclitaxel 200 mg/m2 (3-hour infusion), every 3 weeks. Responsive patients, when possible, underwent surgery followed by standard radiotherapy (50 Gy) or radiotherapy (60 Gy), with concurrent cisplatin as intravenous continuous infusion of 4 mg/m2/d. Sixteen of the 42 evaluable patients achieved partial response (38%) and 3 complete response (CR) (7%) for an overall response rate of 45% (95% CI 30.1-60.2). RO resectability rate was 29%, with 21% of pathologic CRs. Three more CRs were achieved with concurrent chemoradio-therapy in responsive but unresected patients. Grade III/IV hematologic toxicity was 9%, while one perioperative death occurred. The median duration of response was 14 months (range: 3-44+); median survival was 15 months (range: 9-47+). One-year and 2-year survival rates were 51% and 22%, respectively. The median survival in the responsive resected patients was 26 months, with 2-year survival of 57%. Carboplatin/paclitaxel represents an effective and well-tolerated induction therapy, suggesting its possible role in combination with radiotherapy as neoadjuvant treatment in locally advanced NSCLC in alternative to cisplatin-based regimens.

KW - Induction chemotherapy

KW - Multimodality treatment

KW - Non-small-cell lung cancer (SCLC)

KW - Radiation therapy

KW - Stage III

KW - Surgery

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0038517767&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0038517767&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1097/00000421-200306000-00012

DO - 10.1097/00000421-200306000-00012

M3 - Article

VL - 26

SP - 265

EP - 269

JO - American Journal of Clinical Oncology

JF - American Journal of Clinical Oncology

SN - 0277-3732

IS - 3

ER -