Intensified M-VEC chemotherapy with G-CSF support as outpatient treatment for advanced bladder cancer

Paolo Pronzato, Gianfilippo Bertelli, Francesco Bruna, Franco Tani, Franco Vaira, Maurizio Vanoli, Antonella Vigani

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

The M-VAC regimen (methotrexate, vinblastine, doxorubicin and cisplatin) is widely used in the treatment of advanced or metastatic bladder cancer. In the present trial an alternate week regimen of M-VEC (with epidoxorubicin instead of doxorubicin) supported by G-CSF (filgrastim) was evaluated. Eligible patients had metastatic or surgically unresectable bladder cancer, not previously treated with systemic chemotherapy. Treatment consisted of methotrexate 30 mg/m2 day 1, vinblastine 3 mg/m2 day 2, epidoxorubicin 60 mg/m2 day 2 and cisplatin 35 mg/m2 days 2 and 3. G-CSF was administered s.c. at the dose of 300 mcg from day 4 to day 11: the treatment was repeated every 2 weeks for six cycles. Twenty-one patients entered the study, and 19 received more than 1 cycle: 78.9% were able to receive full doses of M-VEC as scheduled. The treatment resulted feasible on an outpatient basis, with mild toxicity. Three complete responses (15.8%) and 9 partial responses (47.4%), with an overall objective response rate of 63.2%, were observed.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)2325-2327
Number of pages3
JournalAnticancer Research
Volume17
Issue number3 C
Publication statusPublished - 1997

Keywords

  • Dose intensity
  • Filgrastim
  • Urothelial cancer

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Cancer Research
  • Oncology

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Intensified M-VEC chemotherapy with G-CSF support as outpatient treatment for advanced bladder cancer'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this

    Pronzato, P., Bertelli, G., Bruna, F., Tani, F., Vaira, F., Vanoli, M., & Vigani, A. (1997). Intensified M-VEC chemotherapy with G-CSF support as outpatient treatment for advanced bladder cancer. Anticancer Research, 17(3 C), 2325-2327.