Intercontinental collaborative experience with abdominal, retroperitoneal and pelvic schwannomas. The British journal of surgery

J. Monteiro De Barros , Alessandro Gronchi, Marco Fiore, Dario Callegaro, B. Heeres

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

BACKGROUND: Schwannomas are rare tumours that pose a significant management challenge in the abdomen, retroperitoneum and pelvis. No data are available to inform management strategy. METHODS: A collaborative international cohort study, across specialist sarcoma units, was conducted to include adults presenting between 2000 and 2017 with histopathologically confirmed schwannomas within the abdomen, retroperitoneum or pelvis. RESULTS: Of 485 patients across 12 centres, 38 (7·8 per cent) were discharged without follow-up, 199 (41·0 per cent) underwent early resection and 248 (51·1 per cent) had radiological monitoring. Of these 248 patients, 96 (38·7 per cent) eventually had surgery, giving an overall resection rate of 60·8 per cent (295 of 485). At baseline, median tumour volume was 90·1 (i.q.r. 26·5-262·0) cm(3) . The estimated growth rate was 10·5 (95 per cent c.i. 9·4 to 11·6) per cent per year, and was consistent in the short term (within 2 years of diagnosis) and long term (beyond 2 years) (ρ = 0·405, P = 0·021). A decision to operate was more common in symptomatic patients (P 
Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)452-463
Number of pages12
JournalBritish Journal of Surgery
Volume107
Issue number4
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 2020

Keywords

  • Adult
  • Age Factors
  • Female
  • Humans
  • Male
  • Middle Aged
  • Aged
  • Kaplan-Meier Estimate
  • Disease Progression
  • Retrospective Studies
  • Sex Factors
  • Treatment Outcome
  • International Cooperation
  • Clinical Decision-Making
  • Abdominal Neoplasms/pathology/*surgery
  • Neurilemmoma/pathology/*surgery
  • Pelvic Neoplasms/pathology/*surgery
  • Postoperative Care/methods
  • Postoperative Complications/epidemiology/etiology
  • Retroperitoneal Neoplasms/pathology/*surgery

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Intercontinental collaborative experience with abdominal, retroperitoneal and pelvic schwannomas. The British journal of surgery'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this