Intraoperative radiotherapy for locally advanced prostate cancer

Treatment technique and ultrasound-based analysis of dose distribution

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

12 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Background: To present the technique and dose distribution of intraoperative radiotherapy (IORT) for prostate cancer. Patients and Methods: Pelvic lymphadenectomy, prostate IORT and radical retropubic prostatectomy was performed in 11 prostate cancer patients. Prostate thickness and rectum depth were measured with intraoperative ultrasound. IORT was delivered by a mobile linear accelerator in the operating room (electron beam, 12 Gy at 90% isodose). Results: The mean preoperative probability of organ-confined disease was 10% (Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center nomograms). Mean prostate thickness, width and length were 3.4 cm, 4.6 and 4.9 cm, respectively. Mean rectum depth was 3.3 cm. Mean doses to the posterior prostate capsule, 5-mm lateral prostate margins and at the subsequent uretheral stump area were 4.6 Gy, 8.7 Gy and 11.3 Gy, respectively. Maximum mean rectal dose was 4.9 Gy. Conclusion: IORT appeared a feasible approach for prostate cancer, showing a satisfactory dose coverage to the prostate bed with relatively low rectal dose. However, high variability in dose distribution calls for further study of patient selection criteria and dosimetry.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)3471-3476
Number of pages6
JournalAnticancer Research
Volume27
Issue number5 B
Publication statusPublished - Sep 2007

Fingerprint

Prostate
Prostatic Neoplasms
Radiotherapy
Rectum
Patient Selection
Therapeutics
Particle Accelerators
Nomograms
Operating Rooms
Prostatectomy
Lymph Node Excision
Capsules
Electrons
Neoplasms

Keywords

  • Electron beam
  • Intraoperative radiotherapy
  • Prostate cancer
  • Prostatectomy
  • Ultrasound-based dosimetry

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Cancer Research
  • Oncology

Cite this

@article{78236a1904a6427a9f00309843462205,
title = "Intraoperative radiotherapy for locally advanced prostate cancer: Treatment technique and ultrasound-based analysis of dose distribution",
abstract = "Background: To present the technique and dose distribution of intraoperative radiotherapy (IORT) for prostate cancer. Patients and Methods: Pelvic lymphadenectomy, prostate IORT and radical retropubic prostatectomy was performed in 11 prostate cancer patients. Prostate thickness and rectum depth were measured with intraoperative ultrasound. IORT was delivered by a mobile linear accelerator in the operating room (electron beam, 12 Gy at 90{\%} isodose). Results: The mean preoperative probability of organ-confined disease was 10{\%} (Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center nomograms). Mean prostate thickness, width and length were 3.4 cm, 4.6 and 4.9 cm, respectively. Mean rectum depth was 3.3 cm. Mean doses to the posterior prostate capsule, 5-mm lateral prostate margins and at the subsequent uretheral stump area were 4.6 Gy, 8.7 Gy and 11.3 Gy, respectively. Maximum mean rectal dose was 4.9 Gy. Conclusion: IORT appeared a feasible approach for prostate cancer, showing a satisfactory dose coverage to the prostate bed with relatively low rectal dose. However, high variability in dose distribution calls for further study of patient selection criteria and dosimetry.",
keywords = "Electron beam, Intraoperative radiotherapy, Prostate cancer, Prostatectomy, Ultrasound-based dosimetry",
author = "Roberto Orecchia and Jereczek-Fossa, {Barbara A.} and Mario Ciocca and Andrea Vavassori and Raffaella Cambria and Federica Cattani and Dario Zerini and Matei, {Deliu V.} and Bernardo Rocco and Fabrizio Verweij and Epifanio Scardino and {De Cobelli}, Ottavio",
year = "2007",
month = "9",
language = "English",
volume = "27",
pages = "3471--3476",
journal = "Anticancer Research",
issn = "0250-7005",
publisher = "International Institute of Anticancer Research",
number = "5 B",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Intraoperative radiotherapy for locally advanced prostate cancer

T2 - Treatment technique and ultrasound-based analysis of dose distribution

AU - Orecchia, Roberto

AU - Jereczek-Fossa, Barbara A.

AU - Ciocca, Mario

AU - Vavassori, Andrea

AU - Cambria, Raffaella

AU - Cattani, Federica

AU - Zerini, Dario

AU - Matei, Deliu V.

AU - Rocco, Bernardo

AU - Verweij, Fabrizio

AU - Scardino, Epifanio

AU - De Cobelli, Ottavio

PY - 2007/9

Y1 - 2007/9

N2 - Background: To present the technique and dose distribution of intraoperative radiotherapy (IORT) for prostate cancer. Patients and Methods: Pelvic lymphadenectomy, prostate IORT and radical retropubic prostatectomy was performed in 11 prostate cancer patients. Prostate thickness and rectum depth were measured with intraoperative ultrasound. IORT was delivered by a mobile linear accelerator in the operating room (electron beam, 12 Gy at 90% isodose). Results: The mean preoperative probability of organ-confined disease was 10% (Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center nomograms). Mean prostate thickness, width and length were 3.4 cm, 4.6 and 4.9 cm, respectively. Mean rectum depth was 3.3 cm. Mean doses to the posterior prostate capsule, 5-mm lateral prostate margins and at the subsequent uretheral stump area were 4.6 Gy, 8.7 Gy and 11.3 Gy, respectively. Maximum mean rectal dose was 4.9 Gy. Conclusion: IORT appeared a feasible approach for prostate cancer, showing a satisfactory dose coverage to the prostate bed with relatively low rectal dose. However, high variability in dose distribution calls for further study of patient selection criteria and dosimetry.

AB - Background: To present the technique and dose distribution of intraoperative radiotherapy (IORT) for prostate cancer. Patients and Methods: Pelvic lymphadenectomy, prostate IORT and radical retropubic prostatectomy was performed in 11 prostate cancer patients. Prostate thickness and rectum depth were measured with intraoperative ultrasound. IORT was delivered by a mobile linear accelerator in the operating room (electron beam, 12 Gy at 90% isodose). Results: The mean preoperative probability of organ-confined disease was 10% (Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center nomograms). Mean prostate thickness, width and length were 3.4 cm, 4.6 and 4.9 cm, respectively. Mean rectum depth was 3.3 cm. Mean doses to the posterior prostate capsule, 5-mm lateral prostate margins and at the subsequent uretheral stump area were 4.6 Gy, 8.7 Gy and 11.3 Gy, respectively. Maximum mean rectal dose was 4.9 Gy. Conclusion: IORT appeared a feasible approach for prostate cancer, showing a satisfactory dose coverage to the prostate bed with relatively low rectal dose. However, high variability in dose distribution calls for further study of patient selection criteria and dosimetry.

KW - Electron beam

KW - Intraoperative radiotherapy

KW - Prostate cancer

KW - Prostatectomy

KW - Ultrasound-based dosimetry

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=35349025962&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=35349025962&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

VL - 27

SP - 3471

EP - 3476

JO - Anticancer Research

JF - Anticancer Research

SN - 0250-7005

IS - 5 B

ER -